Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - They lied about the buffalo

I don't know if they did or not but it got you in here.

At this link , it shows the range of the bison before Europeans and then in 1870. By 1900, there were only 1900 left.

Okay, so, this seems impossible to me. That is one bigass area. How could such a huge area be wiped out? I mean, there weren't gobs of people everywhere back then.

I guess the buffalo herds so much, if there were a kill-em-all posse, and they kept doing that, I guess that's how it could happen. How DID it happen? Didn't they shoot alot from trains? Just for the hell of it. But, again, that's a huge area.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This from a site...

The larger environmental context for the decline of the buffalo was set by climate, drought, disease, fire, horses, cattle, barbed wire, ranchers, railroads, market hunters, and so on.

I found another discussion about brucelossis, a disease affecting cattle and buffalo. From 30 to 70 million down to a thousand or so. Zowie. Now, there's 300,000.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Now the Indians needed food

They needed skins for a roof

They only took what they needed

And the buffalo was proof

But then came the white man

With his thick and empty head

He couldn't see past the billfold

He wanted all the buffalo dead

Ted Nugent, "Great White Buffalo"

Basically, Live, we slaughtered them all. White men like [i'm assuming] you and me just fucking wiped them out. Just killed 'em all. End of story.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

This may be funny, or this may be sad, but in gradeschool we were taught that Bison were completely extinct and had been for almost 100 years.

At one point on one of our family travels i actually saw some (iirc in Wyoming). I went back to school and told me teacher that I saw real living bison and they were not extinct. I was all excited and proud and stuff.

She said I probably just saw a cow and thought it was a bison.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by LiveMusic:

I don't know if they did or not but it got you in here.

At this link , it shows the range of the bison before Europeans and then in 1870. By 1900, there were only 1900 left.

Okay, so, this seems impossible to me. That is one bigass area. How could such a huge area be wiped out? I mean, there weren't gobs of people everywhere back then.

I guess the buffalo herds so much, if there were a kill-em-all posse, and they kept doing that, I guess that's how it could happen. How DID it happen? Didn't they shoot alot from trains? Just for the hell of it. But, again, that's a huge area.

This was their range from season to season not fully occupied all the time.

There are photos of buffalo bones stacked as high as a house during the great kill-offs after the civil war. The photos shows pile after pile like this going off into the distance. The railroads brought easy access to the migratory trails and thus the hunters who felt they were assisting the US Army in destroying the Indian's food source.

Let's see, poor white Europeans with a seemingly limitless free resource, kind of like panning for gold, that's how they were decimated.

Originally posted by phaeton:

This may be funny, or this may be sad, but in gradeschool we were taught that Bison were completely extinct and had been for almost 100 years.

At one point on one of our family travels i actually saw some (iirc in Wyoming). I went back to school and told me teacher that I saw real living bison and they were not extinct. I was all excited and proud and stuff.

She said I probably just saw a cow and thought it was a bison.

I was taught the same thing... yet at a farm outside of town they had one... weird... maybe they ment wild buffalo?

Kris

My Band: http://www.fullblackout.com UPDATED!!! Fairly regularly these days...

http://www.logcabinmusic.com updated 11/9/04

I've been thinking about putting a couple head on my new spread. Thing is...they're not domesticated at all. They roam where they want, and have little regard for any but the strongest fencing. They also can be rather tempermental critters. Not always docile like cows. But wow, wouldn't that be cool!

(Chief Dan George voice): Time to repopulate the land with buffalo.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I was chased by a herd outside of Lawton, OK. Came down off Mt Scott and the head bull smelled my buddy and me. They just started running at us. Must have been 30 of them. 30 of them made the ground shake 300 yards away. Needless to say, we ran like wild men and hopped in our car and roared off.

If you don't wanna be nibbled, don't play with the bunny.

God created Eve and me, not Steve and me. - Adam

Archived