Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Life in the Fast Lane

Iconoclast

Gotta learn it. Can barely hear the Clav in many places but it sounds like a cool part. Anyone point me towards either a video or a reliable transcription?

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great song. How many other instruments are in your band might influence what you decide to play. I play in a band with two guitarists, one who is a much stronger rhythm player and the second who is very lead-oriented. Our lead oriented player does the signature phrase at the start, which is also repeated during the choruses. I set up a custom performance for this song on my Roland XV, which uses 3 different parts split across the keyboard. (I don't like to change patches in the middle of a song).

After trial and error, for the verses I settled into just playing a fairly low "D" with my left hand on the off beats, in the same rhythm as the bass player. I stay on the "D" even when the chord changes, but go down to "B" when the verse lyrics reach "They had one thing in common"., and then transition down to A just before the chorus.

There is an instrumental interlude before "Glowing and burning, blinded by thirst". The rhythm guitarist is occupied flaying away at the chords, so I play the higher harmony (G#-G#__, G#-F#-E-F#, E___) while the lead guitar plays E-E, E-C#-B-C#, B___. I use a patch that resembles an electric guitar, and keep my volume lower than the lead guitar.

I use a strings patch during the extended chorus late in the song, where the 3 part vocal harmony on "Life In the Fast Lane" is repeated twice with pauses in between, and I use this strings patch while I hold out the chords (E, D, C, A).

I have heard people do more busy things with the clav, than what I do on the verses. My choice to do less was based partly on our rhythm player doing a nice job with his part, and partly on the fact that I'm not much of a keyboard player.

Here is an isolated mix that appears to be authentic where you can hear the Clav pretty well:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWxNk0maqSw

Bass alone:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AS9B2Bskig

Drums alone:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtOcwQbiCgo

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

AWESOME. Great find and that's exactly what I was hoping was out there! Many thanks.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

Pardon for the hijack, but this thread reminds me of how much I liked the way our old rhythm guitarist played this song. This is a recording of one of his last performances with us before Mark moved from New Jersey to California in 2010. I took the finished mix on my multitrack recorder and pushed the rest of the band way down, to let the rhythm guitar part stand out. This is just 50 seconds of the song starting with the bridge leading up to verse 3.

http://www.mailmansband.org/friends/harmonizer/LifeInTheFastLane_rhythm_guitar.mp3

I wonder if Joe Walsh is playing clav on this track...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Here is an isolated mix that appears to be authentic where you can hear the Clav pretty well:

amazing how we have that released almost 40 years after the song was released. I remember talking to a member of a band I left 20 years ago telling me they had tried to play this song but it never worked because something was missing. I replied "did you use a clavinet?' and got a blank stare. The clav is the key. :cool:

:nopity:

Pardon for the hijack, but this thread reminds me of how much I liked the way our old rhythm guitarist played this song. This is a recording of one of his last performances with us before Mark moved from New Jersey to California in 2010. I took the finished mix on my multitrack recorder and pushed the rest of the band way down, to let the rhythm guitar part stand out. This is just 50 seconds of the song starting with the bridge leading up to verse 3.

http://www.mailmansband.org/friends/harmonizer/LifeInTheFastLane_rhythm_guitar.mp3

That is great comping! I love to hear great comping, and I am always working on my comping. It's an art unto itself!

Never knew that there was a clav in that song. Missed it after all these years.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Just curious where these isolated tracks came from. They really help you clearly hear the keyboard parts. Bass and drums were cool as well. Considering that about covers the rhythm section on that song, if all three of these have their parts correct, then you only need a capable lead guitar and vocalist.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Just curious where these isolated tracks came from. They really help you clearly hear the keyboard parts. Bass and drums were cool as well. Considering that about covers the rhythm section on that song, if all three of these have their parts correct, then you only need a capable lead guitar and vocalist.

I wish I had this one in the 70's!

[video:youtube]

Just curious where these isolated tracks came from.

Some are copied by people with access to the multitrack masters, but I think that most of the tracks out there have been generated by people who reverse engineered them from the 'Rock Band' and 'Guitar Hero' video games; the developers of those games used the multitrack masters under license but people figured out how to hack the files and extract the individual tracks. I find them fascinating to listen to!

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

MultitrackMaster.com seems to have a good may of them.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Archived