Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: DVD authoring

J. Dan

I have a DVD data disk with 112 files on it of 80s music videos. On my PS3, which I use for all of my media (Netflix, dvd's, blurays, CDs, mp3s on hard drive, USB sticks, and also wifi connection to media center). It shows up as data disk, I can go to it, see all the files, and play them. But it's one at a time, there's no way to have it just keep going file to file,

I'd like to burn and actual DVD, not a data disk. But the software I have that allows you to create menus and all that does it by basically picking times on the timeline for each chapter. So I'd have to load 112 videos back to back into a single video, then create a menu with 112 items, and find the star times of all those videos, then render it and burn it.

Seems like there should be some utility for this, Take all the MP4 files in a folder and burn a DVD with chapters named after the file names. I do want to be able to go right to a video if I want and not have to FF through hours of video looking for a specific one, I'd just also like to let it run.

Why you ask? Stop asking questions, call it nostalgia, mental illness, don't judge me. I have playlists I listen to and the PS3 puts up my choice of the earth moving or various color visualizations. How much cooler would it be to have th music videos playing?

Of course I'll pay for something, but this is likely a one time thing for my own entertainment, so I'm not going to run out and buy Final Cut or something like that. Let's say keep it well under $50. Cheaper the better.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I use Sony DVD Architect Studio 5 . Don't know if it's the best, but it was fairly cheap and works for me

Does it do what I asked? I already have DVD authoring software. Actually 2 different programs that both do it, just not the way I need.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Dan, you might want to take a look at Tmgpenc Authoring Works 5. I used it a lot when I transferred home videos for a living, though it's been almost a year since I stopped doing that.

It is about $100, but you should be able to just drop in your files into one "title", with chapter marks at each separate video. However, DVD spec only allows for 99 chapters within a title, so the remaining 13 files would go to a second title. But you can program the DVD (hence DVD "authoring") to go ahead automatically play the second title with the remaining 13 videos after the first title (99 videos) play.

What I'm not sure of, though, is automatic naming of chapters. As far as DVD players go, a chapter is a chapter #, not a name, except for the interactive menu. You can type the name of each video on your DVD menu, but the player's info display will just show "Chapter xx".

Also, 112 videos is a lot to put on one disc, unless you really drop the quality down; maybe that's not an issue for you, IDK.

Stuff and things.

Also, 112 videos is a lot to put on one disc, unless you really drop the quality down; maybe that's not an issue for you, IDK.

They are already really low quality - most originally recorded from MTV on VHS and later digitized. I'm not really concerned about quality. The files are already all saved on a data DVD, so I assume they'll fit on a DVD formatted as such.

Dan

They are already really low quality - most originally recorded from MTV on VHS and later digitized. I'm not really concerned about quality. The files are already all saved on a data DVD, so I assume they'll fit on a DVD formatted as such.

Well, yes they should, but it's apples and oranges. Your MP4 files will be converted to MPEG-2 when authored to a playable DVD. Again, if it's not an issue for you, no big deal. But you will be taking a low-res compressed format (MP4) and converting it to MPEG-2 at a pretty low bitrate to fit that much on one DVD. Just guessing - an average of 3.5 minutes per video - that's over 6 hours of video to compress to MPEG-2.

Anyway, good luck in deciding on a solution.

Stuff and things.

Archived