Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Coming soon: Cars & Effects that go BOOM!

Winston Psmith

I read in today's Washington Post that Samsung is acquiring Harman, with a view to breaking into the 'connected car' field. (Think bluetooth audio and live streaming into your car while you drive, among other features, probably including a find my car feature.) Lexicon and Digitech are both Harman companies, I'm not sure who else in the audio realm.

Not sure how confident I'd be, buying a connected car with add-ons from a company that makes exploding phones and washing machines. Death Race 2017, anyone?

OTOH, having a 'rackscraper' that blows up on stage could make for more interesting, and hazardous, live shows.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What scares me are the driverless cars that are out on the road being tested. One fatal accident that I heard about was a drunk driver that lost his license and then his new ride crashes him into a semi truck. Great idea, but I don't think I could trust one right now...another incident was a motorcycle cop trying to write a ticket to one for impeding traffic...and still another failed a techie test as the new technology can't distinguish a paper bag from a big rock in the road!

I can see live streaming movies to these cars in the near future as commuters can watch a movies, etc., on their way to work...I'm just not quite ready for this kind of a new car concept that can go boom! It will get some bad drivers off the road though LOL! :cop:

Take care, Larryz

One of my mentors was one of the last white men to call Compton home, and he was quite incongruously into rap. This annoyed his wife and daughter.

Then he found this video, and started calling them "Tigra" and "Bunny"...

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

One of my mentors was one of the last white men to call Compton home, and he was quite incongruously into rap. This annoyed his wife and daughter.

How's he enjoying the single life?

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

How's he enjoying the single life?

He had classic Irish, bardic charm. They couldn't stay mad at the man.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

Just for fun, I would have, if I were them, put up a sign in the house that reads:

"WARNING! When wearing a cap, your BRAIN will move in the direction of the BILL!" :D

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Self-driving cars would be the best thing to ever happen to American roads.

The stories about people dying in them are usually B.S. There was a high profile case recently where a guy (who hadn't lost his license because of DUI) who was a former military pilot and tech entrepreneur - who boasted and made videos about how his car drove his work commute by itself every day (which is not recommended at this point in the software testing) was watching Harry Potter on his iPad and an 18-wheeler pulled across the highway at an uncontrolled intersection... at dusk with the sun shining into the front of the car... and the sensors on the Tesla couldn't see the white trailer of the 18-wheeler against the glare of the sun. If he'd been paying attention, he probably would've seen it... oh, and the 18-wheeler wasn't supposed to attempt the turn and make people in that lane brake for them at all, so it's technically the truck driver's fault.

I try to drive as little as possible... other drivers are awful. I'll welcome autonomous cars.

But in the future, car ownership probably won't be too widespread, at least in anything resemble a metropolitan city. There will be fleets of self-driving cars that you summon with your phone to take you places. Why pay for parking, or a car note, if you can have one of Tesla's fleet come and get you? And people will probably watch streaming content in the cars.

Personally, I prefer to be self sufficient. But then, there ARE a lot of people( I have an 80 year old brother in law who fits this)who can't admit to not being able to "cut the mustard" anymore. In HIS case, I'd say NO autonomous car could POSSIBLY be more of a hazard on the road. So there does seem to be at least SOME use for them. But personally, I'm "old school" about these sorts of things.

I'm not "mushmouthed" to the point I can't TALK to people, so if I WANT them to READ what I have to say, I'll WRITE them a LETTER. I'm not as yet too FEEBLE to take pen to paper.

I DON'T need to watch TV when backing up my car, my legs still work well enough to hit the brakes myself, and I KNOW how to park a car, thank you.

Americans have sadly gotten to the point that they let ANY group of self important and self appointed "experts" via ANY outlet tell them how to THINK, and I won't be surprised that soon they'll need "autonomous toilets" because they'll also be too lazy or stupid to even wipe their own ASSES! Of course with THEM, it'll be more a case of having to wipe their NECKS.

Whitefang (curmudgeon in residence)

Self-driving cars could be key in helping some people establish or maintain self-.sufficiency.

My Mom, for instance, is as sharp as she ever was. But she can't see as well as she used to at night- she gets "flares" from oncoming headlights due to cataract repair surgery- and sometimes can't grip the steering wheel well. One of her friends as well as an aunt both get panicky driving in the rain,

A self driving car would mean those people would experience fewer limitations on their lives, no question.

Self-driving cars could be key in helping some people establish or maintain self-.sufficiency.

My Mom, for instance, is as sharp as she ever was. But she can't see as well as she used to at night- she gets "flares" from oncoming headlights due to cataract repair surgery- and sometimes can't grip the steering wheel well. One of her friends as well as an aunt both get panicky driving in the rain,

A self driving car would mean those people would experience fewer limitations on their lives, no question.

I can get that. Although I think a cab or using Uber might be less expensive. But in other cases, not EVERYone has access to a willing family member or friend that might be willing to help out with shuttling around. As for "self sufficiency", as long as I can still dress myself, bathe and keep up the house sufficiently and fix my own meals, that's all the self sufficiency I need. If I need a ride somewhere, I'm content to catch a ride from somebody else.

Whitefang

Also- sadly- social studies have confirmed that the same race & gender biases that make it difficult for non-whites to catch cabs are just as prevalent with services like Lyft & Uber. So they're still not quite a substitute for car ownership (or mass transit).

Also- sadly- social studies have confirmed that the same race & gender biases that make it difficult for non-whites to catch cabs are just as prevalent with services like Lyft & Uber. So they're still not quite a substitute for car ownership (or mass transit).

Unfortunately, yes... and AirBnB... partly based on geographic locations, and I've been meaning to see if anybody had started services like this specifically for non-whites.

I probably overlooked some of that due to my living in the Detroit area, and that in the past, anytime I took a cab from within the city limits, the cab driver WAS black, and so I couldn't see race being an issue in getting a cab here.

Whitefang

Archived