Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT Supermoon

Markay

Phone pic from Port Macquarie NSW Aus

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p694/kkramm/WP_20161114_20_53_40_Pro_LI_zpsowypg8zf.jpg

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was pretty cool seeing that night. We saw it last night when my girlfriend was and me were on the way home from Cotsco.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I got to see the "supermoon" rising and falling.

I went out for a walk with the dogs yesterday about 4:30. Towards the end of the walk, the supermoon had just cleared the horizon and could be seen thru the trees.

I awoke around 5:30 am. The "supermoon" was just setting, only visible thru the trees.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

As an avid amateur astronomer, all I can say is "Meh."

Not to the photo, but to the whole "supermoon" hype. Look at the Planter's moon in Spring, the Harvest Moon in autumn, especially at moonrise: those are amazing views.

So it's at perigee: big deal. Just another media hype of a non-event. I didn't hear them say anything when the same thing happened last month, and the seeing was better then.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

LOL, I thought I was the only person doing the "meh" thing...and I'm not even an amateur astronomer. I did, however, get a passing grade in Introduction to Astrophysics many many moons ago.

Call me when Montreal gets flooded by ocean tides....

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Well a reasonably well respected news outlet out here said, IIRC, that the moon appeared bigger in the sky last night than it had in the past 68 years. In my case bigger than it has in my lifetime. Maybe it is just a southern hemisphere thang?

But whatever, tonight with a clear sky and little in the way of big city ambient light I can sure see a lot more detail on it than I have since I was a callow yoof lying back and staring at it after having ingested hash brownies.

Maybe I am having one of those, previously thought to be mythical, natural highs.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

But whatever, tonight with a clear sky and little in the way of big city ambient light I can sure see a lot more detail on it than I have since I was a callow yoof lying back and staring at it after having ingested hash brownies.

Of course everything looked quite a bit different as a "callow yoof":

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h105/SleepyShippo/moonrise.gif

LOL, I thought I was the only person doing the "meh" thing...and I'm not even an amateur astronomer. I did, however, get a passing grade in Introduction to Astrophysics many many moons ago.

Call me when Montreal gets flooded by ocean tides....

Well, out here on the west coast we typically have pretty hazy skies at night, but the last couple of nights have been crystal clear. I don't need to be an astronomer to recognize a beautiful full moon when I see one.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Of course everything looked quite a bit different as a "callow yoof":

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h105/SleepyShippo/moonrise.gif

I did wonder how long it would take for someone to notice the hitherto unreported sighting of Uranus in the moon's shadow.

If we are including food... how about Moon Cakes? Although, a bit late for the Mid-Autumn Festival.

Lotus seed Yue Bing with the hard boiled duck egg yolk! Yummy!

Wo hen xihuan!

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Great pic Dave, you get the skilled photographer gold star to take home for the night, when Mike returns it.

If we are including food... how about Moon Cakes? Although, a bit late for the Mid-Autumn Festival.

Ha Ha --- Been traveling the last year back and forth to China. Still have some moon cake that I brought back in September. Although I like the food in China, I'll pass on the moon cake.

Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack

We had clouds and rain, so did not get to see the moon that night. I did go out and view it the night before.

I think, too, where you are located in relation to the moon may make it seem more or less spectacular than it is hyped up to be.

Speaking of moons and Uranus, Uranus is going sextile with Chiron on December 10th. Might want to keep the kiddies in the house that night.

:roll:

Archived