Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Play It Loud!

whitefang

"Play It Loud", a new book by Brad Tolinski and Alan di Perna hits the stands soon, if not already. The book attempts to track the history of the instrument and it's impact on music and our society. It also documents many of the people involved in both it's invention and developement over the years.

Some of you "device junkies" might find it with your Kindles and if so, let us know what you think. If I get a chance and can spare the scratch ($26.95) I'll pick up a "hard copy" of it and give it a look.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanx...chk yer local library before shelling our the cash, though, pally.

BTW & FWIW...here's something Jimi Hendrix said (approximately) regarding "loud", a subject w/ which he had some familiarity.

"Back in the cotton fields things woulda been diff if they'd had amps."

d=halfnote

Sorry d.....

This was started to inform folks here about the BOOK.

NOT about playing loud.

Might take some time for it to make it to any library though. Your comment reminds me about another book, "Goodbye Columbus" in which the protagonist, a librarian, was asked by his girlfriend's dimwitted sister, "So, working at the library means you must get FIRST CRACK at all the bestsellers." :D

Whitefang

Thanx...chk yer local library before shelling our the cash, though, pally.

BTW & FWIW...here's something Jimi Hendrix said (approximately) regarding "loud", a subject w/ which he had some familiarity.

"Back in the cotton fields things woulda been diff if they'd had amps."

An example of what the "Grammar Nazi Syndrome" practitioners have no problem with...hope you are monitoring this [too] Astring...

Take care, Larryz

Sorry for diverting yer thread, WF but I thought comments abt JH & / or loudness might be apt.

While off-track..."Grammar Nazis" ?

:cop:

Hey it's the 21st C, of a very busy world----sometimes extra syllables just get in the way (or N D way, as the toung & hip might say).

:D

We now return U 2 our regular programming.

d=halfnote

Sorry D, I could not resist using your hyroglifics as an example of what gets by the "Grammar Nazi Syndrome". I find them fun to read and decipher. I wouldn't care if you spelled [to] with 2 O's anymore than if you put lipstick on a pig with 2 G's LOL! I'll get back 2U! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

d's hieroglyphics seem to be a relatively new thing with him. I don't recall him using so many in the past, if at all.

It sort of reminds me of how when a little kid learns a new word, they try to use it ALL the time! ;)

Whitefang

I use LOL too much and have been known to use IIRC, FWIW, BTW, etc., but I have trouble figuring out many shortcuts/codes that all of the kids and the adult text users use on a daily basis. It's kind of like trying to figure out what some of those personalized license plates mean. Boat names and street names can also be fun for Me2 figure out... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Depending on what it is, I'd sometimes have fun with it. Like one time I told a friend, "I like that new tune from YOU ALSO." ;)

Remember comedian GALLAGHER? He once did a bit about how people use the "heart" symbol to replace the word "love". Like wondering why NOT use the OTHER suits in the deck. As in....

"I(spade symbol) my dog" or.."I(club symbol) my wife" . :D

I forgot the one he did for the diamond.

I once made up a song about what you mention and called it "The Alphabet Man". Mentioning things like;

"He got VCR, and a DVD/And some MP3 burned onto a CD/ Also a BFF and an STD/He's the Alphabet man/ And he says things initially."

And on and on... ;)

Whitefang

Archived