Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Music Podcasts you listen to ...

Tusker

... especially jazz players?

I realize I have been listening to a lot of self improvement and current affairs podcasts, but not ones that help with musicianship and music tech. Do you have any to recommend?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's a nice little podcast that's aimed at beginning/intermediate players and I find it useful just to listen to people talk about the subject a bit. It's called the 'Learn Jazz Standards' Podcast available on the iTunes store, etc.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

There's a nice little podcast that's aimed at beginning/intermediate players and I find it useful just to listen to people talk about the subject a bit. It's called the 'Learn Jazz Standards' Podcast available on the iTunes store, etc.
Thanks for this one, Bobby!

Not all jazz, but here are some I like.

previous discussion about The Caffeinated Keyboardist

UBK Happy Funtime Hour - Audio nerds talking about recording, but my favorite part is probably that they talk bigger than that. IOW, if you're having trouble with something in your life, maybe you have to look at yourself or how you approach things. Very positive outlook.

The Working Songwriter with Joe Pug - I never heard of Joe before this nor do I know his music, but his first episode was Joe Ely so that was a no-brainer for me. And his intros and outros are hilarious. :)

I used to listen to Jazz Insights with Dr. Gordon Vernick, but I don't know if there are any new episodes being made. That being said, there are some 288 episodes so that could keep you busy for a while. - https://itunes.apple.com/us/itunes-u/jazz-insights-media/id405935692?mt=10

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Not strictly jazz or keyboard related, but Larry Grogan's 'Funky 16 Corners' is well worth a download for anyone interested in funk, soul, and anything groovy. ;)

http://funky16corners.com/

Very informative website from a guy who truly loves the music, hundreds of hours of archives, and new shows posted every week.

Larry is a legend! ;)

James

x

ps. Keep the faith!

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Thanks fellas! I'll check these out.

Marian McPartland had this terrific series of interviews and they ended up on the NPR app. But I have exhausted them. :D

Listened to Marian many years. My friend Jon Weber took up the reins for a while, but I haven't seen much new from him of late.

Not jazz, but I like AudioNowcast, and for many yacht rock era aficionados Inside MusicCast is also a lot of fun to listen to.

• 1 year later...

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT! :D

Peter Martin and Adam Maness of Open Studio Network have started a daily but only 10-minute podcast with jazz advice.

You'll Hear It

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived