Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can You Sing Well Enough to be a Solo Act?

CaptainUnderpant

Can You Sing Well Enough to be a Solo Act  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Can You Sing Well Enough to be a Solo Act

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would like to pull off being a passable vocalist/pianist. One thing though is contemperary songs. There is a venue that advertises for solo vocal/piantists but 75% of the material must be post 2000. Does that make sense?

Yeah, I played a duo gig at a venue that had the same rule. Lots of great songs post 2000 to pick, and it worked out fine for us.

Yes, if you want a good stand up comedy act.

Don't take me serious, I'm just playing.

------------------------------------------------------------

Gear: Hammond XK5-system, Nord Stage3 Compact, Crumar Seven, Rhodes Mk2; Hammond M44

The test is singing somewhere folk don't know you and seeing if they're engaged and looking at you - or just carrying on with their conversations and maybe a bit of polite applause from a few once you stop.

Actually for most of my gigs this is what I strive for. I mostly play restaurants and events where people want to carry on conversations, so I'm not looking to intrude on that in my volume or my stage presence. I don't mind the polite applause because I find that a lot of people make it a point to let me know when they are leaving, or when I take a break, that they really enjoyed it. That's enough for me.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Archived