Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha FC7 angle adjustment screw issue

Electro Fan

Has anyone else experienced issues with the angle adjuster/hook screw not holding the body of the pedal to the base? No matter how I adjust the hook screw, either in the "seated" or "standing" position, the base detached from the body when moved. Am I missing some trick to this? I can't see how the hook plate attaches to the lip of the body in a way that would secure the two pieces stay attached.

Thanks,

Bill

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Kronos 61, Casio PX-5S, Yamaha DXR 10 (2)), Neo Vent, Yamaha MG82cx mixer and too many stands to name.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
YES! I have a number of "broken" pedals which some of my friends claim it's an easy fix. I have never been able to really fix them after they break. If you find out, let me know.
Yamaha SY99, Yamaha CS-01, Yamaha WX7/WT11, Yamaha KX5, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

No way this just popped up. No way.

I was just downstairs pondering the extreme linearity of my FC7.

And I didn't "believe" in the angle adjustment screw because the FC7 IMHO is vastly different from the Hammond swell pedal.

I end up "getting there" too quickly or find myself hunting for sweet spots. Far as I can tell it's because the throw on the Hammond pedal is so much longer(and sits up and further back) while the FC7 throw is way short(and directly underfoot).

So. Does this angle adjustment screw actually buy anything?

(Or will it just break if I mess with it?)

I had one do this and managed to get it back together after

futzing with it a few different times.

These things are not built with the same degree of QC as they were.

I had an older FC7 that I adjusted all the time and it never just came apart.

The new ones do.

Something's missing.

I've moved on to the Boss FV pedals.

Very adjustable metal construction.

They can be used as audio stereo as well as CV.

Just make sure you get the correct impedance.

It's either low or high. Most devices are requiring high.

And it doesn't fall apart.

John

Does this angle adjustment screw actually buy anything?

Yes, and no. It doesn't change the curve of the source at all. Meaning, it doesn't magically make a linear curve exponential. However, different keyboards seem to have a different sweet spot. When I had the VR-09, I found that adjusting the pedal made a huge difference. I was hitting max at about 3/4. When I adjusted the angle, it made the max hit at the bottom, where you'd want it.

I think it's the clip. It gets straightened out. You have to re-bend it into a Z to create tension on the clip once the screw is tightened. That has helped with mine. The problem is that it doesn't last.
We play for free. We get paid to set up and tear down.

I had it happen once on one of mine when I disassembled it to re-wire it to work with my FA-08 without adapters, etc...

As someone said above, I found the small metal piece had gotten bent out of shape when I was messing around. Once I fixed that it's been solid. I own three FC7's, and only that one gave me this issue. The other two I have adjusted without the body coming off the base while playing.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom-08| Arturia Keylab 61MK2 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Has anyone else experienced issues with the angle adjuster/hook screw not holding the body of the pedal to the base?

Nope.

Been using them exclusively since 1989, either as-wired, or with tip/ring swapped, and zero mechanical problems in either sitting or standing configuration.

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Kurzweil Forte7, Korg Kronos 2

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

This is something I've not heard of until now. Over the years, I have had 5 FC7's. One stopped working because my pedals, cords and other associated goodies case was closed on the cord which of course was severed halfway through. I probably could have just replaced the cord, but the pedal was several years old and a little beat up. For $40 I just bought a new unit. The second recently stopped working. I had no idea why - could have been this adjustment screw. Not knowing of this, I thought the rheostat (or whatever the tech term is that makes the dam thing work) was fried. So another $40. I still have the other 3. 2 for the road and 1 at home.

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

The problem is that it doesn't last.

Yep,- and you bend it 3 or 4 times and then the part breaks.

That´s what I had in the past while touring and when my gear was in the hands of roadies.

The deformation was caused from transport in a flightcase together w/ cables and other tools.

But,- that item is available as spare part from Yamaha.

I still have a few left for the case it happens again.

A.C.

Archived