Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Way OT: Sushi

Synthoid

I recently received a gift certificate from a highly rated Japanese sushi restaurant. I've only been "experimenting" with sushi for a few years and don't know much. I'd like to expand my horizons. So far, I haven't met any sushi I didn't like. :)

Any recommendations?

http://img3.rnkr-static.com/user_node_img/50028/1000558855/C350/dragon-roll-foods-photo-u2.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any recommendations?

I would ask the Itamae (sushi chef). Some of the best sushi I have had was the result of talking with the chef while sitting at the sushi bar. Also, different localities may have different specialties.

Live : Kurzweil PC3K7; Roland A-88

Home : Kurzweil PC3K7; Kurzweil PC88mx; Roland MKS-80/MPG-80; Yamaha A4000; Alesis QSR; Kawai K1; Yamaha S03; Roland PK-5

Nice to see some sushi talk on here, just after having a sushi dinner with the wife last night to celebrate her concert with the local symphony, which I attended. (She's in the violin section).

Stravinsky followed by Raw Fish... a nice combination. :)

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

Have you tried raw sea urchin?

Personally, I don't eat anything that secretes.... :sick:

It's funny. I was being sarcastic when I recommended it. I had one once in a sushi bar 30 years ago and it was the worst thing I have ever put in my mouth. I love seafood and this is the only thing that came from the sea that I have ever disliked. I have heard so many otherwise sane people since tell me what a delicacy it is that I'm starting to wonder if I might have gotten a bad one that day... It tasted the way a bad oyster smells.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/02/20/fish-seafood-fraud-common-oceana-report/1927065/

"One-third of the fish purchased in restaurants, supermarkets and sushi counters was mislabeled, the non-profit group Oceana said in a report out today."

I like seafood and sushi in particular, but this bothers the hell out of me.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

The best I've eaten was at Shiro in Seattle. Sat at the bar and had "omakase," where the chef hands you pieces until you tell him to stop. The extent of his English was "No soy sauce!" At one point he showed us two large live prawns and with moments presented them to us fried. An outstanding experience and exceptionally fresh fish. There was nothing we didn't like. Go to a good place as close to an ocean as possible and trust the chef.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

So far, I haven't met any sushi I didn't like. :)

Any recommendations?

That is my problem, too. I would let the chef decide.

About raw sea urchin, i remember eating them not in a sushi restaurant,

but in an Italian beach, in Sardegna, just coming out of the water :->

And sea urchin spaghetti are not too bad, but a bit difficult to find (especially

in sushi restaurants :).

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

It tasted the way a bad oyster smells.

No doubt, it was bad. There should not be any fish smell for quality sushi. This is especially true for tuna, salmon, yellow tail, etc. If there is, do not eat it... leave and never come back. Check Yelp or other food rating sites to find the best places. The first 30 years of my life, I would never try sushi since it was raw fish (Yuk!). However, once you have had good sushi you will like it and its a healthy alternative.

Live : Kurzweil PC3K7; Roland A-88

Home : Kurzweil PC3K7; Kurzweil PC88mx; Roland MKS-80/MPG-80; Yamaha A4000; Alesis QSR; Kawai K1; Yamaha S03; Roland PK-5

OT from the OT: This thread remnds me of an episode of TV's "1000 Ways To Die". A Japanese man was attempting to show his son-in-law-to-be how to be a "man" by eating not just raw eel, but live eel. Well the eel had the last laugh by devouring the "man's" intestines killing him in less than 24 hours! UGH! :wacko::wacko:

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

Unagi (roasted fresh water eel). Very tasty and popular.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_FxplGRUAv6U/TMtnIR9DtPI/AAAAAAAAAFY/_NwdaHbjufI/s1600/Unagi.jpg

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos 61, Omnisphere 2, Ableton Live, LaunchKey 25, 2M cables

Archived