Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

JONI!

whitefang

After all the health issues and whatnot she's been through, it makes me happy to be able to still wish her a HAPPY BIRTHDAY today. 73 now, and to think, not too long ago, we were wondering if we'd still be able to SAY that.

Been a fan for many years, and likely will REMAIN so for many more, despite whatever happens.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Joni was good, she was good like no one else was on the same planet.

I still think there`s less than a handful of peers composing-wise. Lots of great musicians, very few songwriters. That said, she REALLY needs to get over herself.

Happy birthday Joni!

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

We recently here, due to his Nobel nomination, discussed a lot about BOB DYLAN's ability to write outstanding lyrics. But personally, I think JONI is his equal.

But, Skip's gonna have to explain his "get over herself" comment.

Whitefang

Oh, I thought you would have been here for one of those `musicians who need to call it quits` lists whee she made an appearance. Unfortunately it`s too old for the archive search, in any case aside from recording with a tobacco-ruined voice and reportedly comparing herself to Beethoven, she has had less than kind things to say about other artists including the recently officially celebrated Bob Dylan.

I offer exhibit A:

https://www.datalounge.com/thread/9161501-joni-mitchell-still-hates-madonnna-and-bob-dylan-

And B:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/joni-mitchell-wants-no-part-of-saskatoon-tribute-1.1300429

Interesting. But it really changes nothing about here accomplishments or qualities as a singer/songwriter. I believe her comparison to Beethoven was more in the spirit of them both having to overcome very challenging physical conditions to achieve their musical goals( she contracted polio during the epidemic of the late '40's and early '50's).

As for one writer making the comparison to her saying of Bob Dylan, "His name is fake" by pointing out that HER name really isn't Mitchell, well, her MAIDEN name wasn't, but.....

Anyone with ANY taste in good music couldn't POSSIBLY disagree with her comments about MADONNA! ;)

Whitefang

Of course it doesn`t take anything away from her accomplishments, for which I have already expressed admiration and respect on more than one occasion.

As for the attitude issue-who said I`m done.

Exhibit C-and don`t just agree or disagree but note the comments.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/joni-mitchell-taylor-swift-biopic/

We recently here, due to his Nobel nomination, discussed a lot about BOB DYLAN's ability to write outstanding lyrics. But personally, I think JONI is his equal.

Whitefang

-1 Sorry Fang, There is no comparison IMHO... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

@Skip: "People usually self-diagnose Morgellons based on information from the Internet and find support and confirmation in online communities of people with similar illness beliefs."-from a WIKI article

The internet? Where you've been getting YOUR info, it seems? ;)

@Larry: Know what you mean in one sense, but a listen to her HEJIRA lp will give a clue as to why I think so. Both Bob and Joni had a tendency to write lyrics that were autobiographical in nature. But Bob WAS better at not making it that obvious. And both Joni and Bob were genius at conjuring up vivid mental images.

Whitefang

<---nice stuff and cool lyrics. She sings better than Bob too but just about anybody can do that LOL! I doubt anyone but Bob knows when or if his autobio comes into play...He'll always be the king in my book! I'll throw just about any song from Highway 61 at you for a comparison... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

You appear to be trying to convince ME of all people, that Bob is a master lyricist. Hell. I've been as big a Dylan "freak" as YOU are with ELVIS. NO need to tell me ANYTHING. As for Joni---

If Dylan DIDN'T clear the way for the idea of critical thought and poetic license in song lyrics, there probably wouldn't have BEEN a Joni, or many OTHER singer/songwriters that followed his lead in that direction.

And, despite how much I favored a LOT of Dylan's stuff, IMHO, his lyrics in the song "It's Alright Ma(I'm only Bleeding)" from the album BEFORE Highway 61 trumps ANYTHING on 61. :cool:

Whitefang

I've got you beat cuz...I've been a "freak" of both of them LOL! As for Highway 61, it's hard to beat the songs on that album and I loved it when Bob went electric. I love all the songs on that album, especially Ballad of a Thin Man and Desolation Row...It's not easy for me to pick out my favorite Dylan or Elvis tune. I love the John Wesley Hardin album with Jimi's favorite All Along The Watchtower and many of the cuts on that one. Nashville Skyline is an album where Bob actually sings in a normal voice with some cool music, but it's not a favorite of mine...Blood on the Tracks is a very cool album if you're a little loaded, so I haven't listened to that one in a very long time LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Shows you the truth in the phrase "Different strokes for different folks".

"Ballad Of A Thin Man" is the song I like the LEAST on Highway 61!

But as for choosing a "favorite" Dylan tune, we're in the same boat. But some of MY favorites on that LP are "It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry", "Tombstone Blues", "Queen Jane Approximately", and of course, "Desolation Row". Plus, don't forget, the title tune. After he died, I began to wonder how GREAT a JOHHNY WINTER slide version of "Tombstone Blues" would also sound! ;)

But, as this IS a thread about Joni Mitchell, what if any, are some of your favorite Joni songs? (IF any!)

Mine cover the spectrum. "Carey", "All I Want", "A Case Of You", "Big Yellow Taxi", "Both Sides Now", "Barangrill", "Turn Me On, I'm A Radio", "Woman Of Heart And Mind", "Just Like This Train", "Raised On Robbery", "Hejira", "Coyote", "Refuge Of The Road", "Sunny Sunday", "Turbulent Indigo", "Borderline", "Dreamland", "In France They Kiss On Main Street"--To mention but a few..... ;)

Whitefang

I could not pick any Joni Mitchel song. She is in a group of artists that I do not listen too..."and you know somethings happening here but you don't know what it is, do you?" Mr. Fang LOL! I still say I did my version of 61 before Winter did LOL! +1 I would have loved to have heard him doing a slide version of Tombstone Blues too! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

@Skip: "People usually self-diagnose Morgellons based on information from the Internet and find support and confirmation in online communities of people with similar illness beliefs."-from a WIKI article

The internet? Where you've been getting YOUR info, it seems? ;)

Whitefang

Meaning what exactly-you spoke to Joni yourself? do tell!

My citation of her comments have nothing to do with Morgellons, which if you`ll note was preceeded in the article by an `Also`.

She dismissed Taylor Swift as `a girl with high cheekbones` and only later admitted that she never listened to her music. I expect that from clueless politicos. I hope for better from accomplished artists.

SKIP: I would consider that Joni's comment about Taylor Swift's "high cheekbones" was(no pun intended) tongue in cheek due to that was at one time what many people used to go on about with HER.

You have to admit( and grudgingly in your case) that there IS somewhat a resemblance between the two:

Tall, willowy, long blonde hair, both play guitar, both write a lot of their own material that's often autobiographic in essence, pretty( at least 40 years ago as far as Joni), pretty voices, and of course, HIGH CHEEKBONES. ;)

@Larry: Don't know what you're implying with the "too" as far as "Tombstone Blues" goes, but I'll do so.

Whitefang

No grudge involved here-the resemblance, and Joni`s comments

if not meant to be taken at face value-so to speak-only make her

disappoval of the biopic idea more confusing-unless you add that to

the other citations I posted. She`s just plain curmudgeonly....I think I spelled that right. That was my original point.

Regardless, none of it has anything to do with Joni the artist. If I were to avoid listening to or appreciating ANY music made by an artist that said uncomplimentary things about other performers, I'd have to dump my entire FRANK ZAPPA collection! ;)

Personally, I think Swift would be an EXCELLENT choice for Joni in a biopic. Considering of course, she WAS chosen because she has some acting talent, and NOT because of her current popularity. I mean, it worked out OK with Elvis and Bobby Darin, but not so well with Roy Orbison. :(

Whitefang

Well alrighty then.

I said Joni needs to get over herself.

You called me to explain.

I did.

Actually, according to your reply, self-opinionated artists are not a big deal to you anyway.

Well that`s some minutes of my life I won`t get back.

Whatever...

Most "artists", regardless of medium( music, acting etc.) tend to be self-opinionated.

That many of them can back it up is what's needed to be more focused on here. Scratch the surface on ANY of the well known and widely recognized artists YOU like, and you'll probably find a higher level of conceit than can be found in just your closer friends. At least hopefully. ;)

Whitefang

No, sorry that does not get a pass.

When someone is struggling for recognition,

that`s one thing. The press loves a good catfight.

She can back it up-back what up? she still has something to prove?

or are we talking a new career direction?-I think not.

A modicum of respect would go a long way.

Archived