Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pignose Hog 20/Hog 30 amp

Fred_C

I am just starting to think about buying a battery powered amp.

Has anyone played a Pignose Hog 20 or 30 amp? They're half the price of the Roland Cube street.

If so, what was your impression of the tone?

If you play cool, you are cool.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brother Fred, I had a Pignose 30 @ $199 and they are great little battery powered amps. I ran a reverb pedal with mine as they are a dry signal amp. I think the Cube Street @ $499 has better tone. Roland does make a cheaper model with reverb/delay for $299 and a friend of mine has one and it sounds better than the Pignose IMHO. For a campfire amp, the Pignose served me well. The battery in the Pignose is not cheap @ $40 and that's why I sold mine when it quit on me. I like just buying some double A's now and then for the Cube and not worrying about the battery giving out. The Pignose battery did last about 5 years or so. :cool:

http://www.samash.com/roland-micro-cube-gx-guitar-amplifier-black-rmicrogxx?utm_source=Criteo&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Lower_Funnel <---and there is this Roland micro cube for $149 with effects...

Take care, Larryz

I had a Pignose way back in the day. (The original 5 watt model) I liked it a bunch, and was sorry for a while that I sold it.

https://www.amazon.com/Pignose-7-100-Legendary-portable-amplifier/dp/B0002D0JZ6

I have the original 5 watt 7-100 Pignose and like it very much. It is handy when I need to bring out a late night amp that is not too loud or need to bring along a lightweight amp. The battery option is nice and it comes with strap buttons so I can put a guitar strap on it and sling it over my shoulder, plug in and walk around anywhere and play electric guitar. It came with a power cord so I can also plug it into an outlet.

The bottom line is it is what it is and does what it was designed for very well. Frank Zappa also played a Pignose and here he is plugging it in on the Mike Douglas show and the tone is pretty good IMO:

Check this out also:

http://www.guitarplayer.com/news/1024/frank-zappa-inside-the-guitars-and-amps-of-his-greatest-recordings--video/54379

@DBM & Bob,

Is that original 5 watt Pignose capable of a nice clean tone at "living room" levels?

Fred, I would say yes depending on what you mean by "living room" level. I use it quite a bit as practice a amp while sitting on my couch. It's easy to grab and plug into and I can get clean tone out of it and can also dirty it up easy. Every guitar store seems to have them so I would suggest you stop in and test drive one.

Bob,

Thanks for the input.

I am a long way from pulling the trigger on this. I really don't need another amp. It would be a toy to play with.

I am leaning toward either the Hog 20 or the Roland Cube Street.

Probably won't happen until next summer.

Fred, It is hard to beat the price of $75-89 and it has an output jack to put it into your PA if needed. I forgot to mention that the battery life is also outstanding. IMHO, I feel that this affordable little amp has a place in any guitarist's quiver.

Bob,

Thanks for the input.

I am a long way from pulling the trigger on this. I really don't need another amp. It would be a toy to play with.

I am leaning toward either the Hog 20 or the Roland Cube Street.

Probably won't happen until next summer.

@Fred_C; I think you nailed it with your 'toy' comment. The Pignose is a great basement or garage Rock practice amp, although even a cranked Pignose won't quite stand up against the sound of a full drum kit.

Both Frank Zappa and Jimmy Page used a close-mic'ed Pignose, to emulate big amp sounds in the studio, because it's very easy to overdrive the Pignose. I can't remember which of them it was, now, but one of them also opened up the amp box, and mic'ed it from behind the speaker. Clearly, neither of these worthy gentlemen were going for a pristine clean tone.

If you're seriously considering the Cube Street, the $80+/- that you'd put into the Pignose would probably be better set aside towards the Cube Street. I think it's a much more versatile amp, and would give you much more pleasure and satisfaction in terms of the sound you're going for.

If you wanted to split the difference, in terms of cost, you might consider the Micro Cube; 3 watts, battery-powered, with some minimal effects and COSM Amp models, including a nice JC Clean model. $150 +/-, just under twice the price of the Pignose, but less than one-third the price of the Cube Street.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

@Winston,

Yeah. If I buy a Pignose it would probably be the Hog 20-more power, bigger speaker. I absolutely must have a fecent clean tone around $130.

I would like the Roland Cube Street $299, but I am still paying off the Heritage and I've just put $425 into upgrading the electronics in my Epiphone Sheraton. Plus, my instrumemts will all require a semi-annual setup soon.

Zero budget for gear right now. Maybe by next summer.

Archived