Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Logic update coming in early 2017 with Touch Bar support

tfort

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it's a start. If they update all the pro apps with touch bar support then it will at least have value. Otherwise it's as useless as a touch screen with no apps that are redesigned to make use of it. Obviously Final Cut takes priority, but it's just not that great a feature if Adobe and Avid aren't on board.

On similar topic: Apple's mark up on the cost of hardware is quite good. They should just throw an adapter or a dongle in the box when they make these "starting immediately" port changing or dropping decisions. I think the EU made them do it when they dropped 30pin for lightning on the iPhone.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

They should just throw an adapter or a dongle in the box when they make these "starting immediately" port changing or dropping decisions. I think the EU made them do it when they dropped 30pin for lightning on the iPhone.

Order from Sweetwater and you get candy in the box.

This sounds like a good idea to me. :thu:

Oh... by the way -

Apples new MacBook Pros are its best-selling models yet despite price hike

KLONK

And then there's this: KLONK

Effectively immediately and through the end of the year, Apple has cut the price of its USB-C adapters by 15% to 50%.

The new pricing breakdown is as follows:

USB-C to traditional USB adapter from $19 to $9

Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter from $49 to $29

USB-C to Lightning cable (1 meter) from $25 to $19

USB-C to Lightning cable (2 meters) from $35 to $29

Multi-port adapter with HDMI, USB, and USB-C from $69 to $49

Multi-port adapter with VGA, USB, and USB-C from $69 to $49

Beyond its from its self-made adapter accessories, Apple is also instituting discounts on all third-party peripherals including a $29 SanDisk USB-C card reader that originally retailed for $49.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Apple also today dropped the prices of the new 27" 5K and 21.5" 4K USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 monitors by 25%.

The monitors are made by LG, who supply the same panels for the iMacs.

EJF- I agree about including a dongle with purchase; including the 3.5mm/Lightning headphone adapter with all iPhones 7 seemed to limit the kvetching about the transition.

32GB memory looking possible for summer 2017 updates to MBP's, depending on which processors and their corresponding chipsets Intel can have ready in time.

Well it's a start. If they update all the pro apps with touch bar support then it will at least have value. Otherwise it's as useless as a touch screen with no apps that are redesigned to make use of it. Obviously Final Cut takes priority, but it's just not that great a feature if Adobe and Avid aren't on board.
You know Adobe demoed Photoshop using Touch Bar at the announcement, right? IOW, they are on board.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Heh, I watched the whole thing, Joe. I must have nodded off in that segment. That's cool. If they are on board things are better than we can hope for at the moment. The negative press has been really loud this week. But thinking back - Apple moves forward no matter what their use base thinks... And if Phil is not talking out of his ass about orders flying in - than perhaps the critics are wrong once again.

apple-death-chart-s.0.gif

Right, I see it now... yeah, I missed it,

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/october-2016/

Bradee Evans - Photoshop - 59:14

:thu:

That's why I SMH whenever an article or post about new MBPs say something about "Apple is dumping creatives!" They clearly went creative with Final Cut, Photoshop, and Djay as the demos. I'm sure they would have loved to have shown Logic if it was ready. I guess they decided to do GarageBand for Touch Bar first.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

And MS's timing of releasing this Surface Studio was very well planned. Adding fire to the - why didn't this come from Apple? Where is the touch screen mac?

And yet, Apple has a whole line of touch screen devices that are more ergonomic to use than a laptop. And the biggest list of applications developed specifically for iOS and their i devices.

Also, not many people are aware... but for those that want it - there are already multi-touch options and inking/stylus capabilities. Apple won't just throw a touch screen on a MacBook Pro and call it a day. They will hem and haw on it until the interface is right.

[video:youtube]

Also, I don't know how long people will be willing to pay $3k for an MS Surface Studio when they could just use a third party touch screen with the computer they already own running Win10?

Also, I don't know how long people will be willing to pay $3k for an MS Surface Studio when they could just use a third party touch screen with the computer they already own running Win10?

Many new Windows all-in-one computers have touch screen. But if all you're going to do with it are the same things you can do with a mouse, it's pretty pointless as a mouse is more precise and the ergonomics are better with a vertical display. It's different with a device like a Surface Pro than might act as a desktop with mouse/keyboard and 27" display one minute and the next be used as a tablet.

What the Surface Studio brings is that wonderful "zero gravity" hinge that lets you position it just like a drafting table. Putting the computer in the base vs. the display is really, well duh! The display has Pixel-Sense technology which makes the Dial work on screen. The Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book also have Pixel-Sense. You can use the Dial today with those devices off-screen. There will be a firmware update in early 2017 that will allow it on-screen as well. The Studio brings the pen, dial and large touch display together in an impressive and compelling package, IMO. Quite different than just adding a touch screen.

Products like the Book and Studio are as much proof of concept for Microsoft as anything. They have stated they really aren't concerned about sales. They are priced at the high-end so as not to alienate their OEM partners. When you go to the Microsoft store, online or in person you will find more third party computers than Microsoft. They don't care which one you buy.

Busch.

I believe Ive has talked about the reasons for non-touch screen Macs as being ergonomic: In his opinion, its not natural or ergonomic to reach up to a screen as an interface.

So far, in my experience with Surface, Surface Book and other Windows machines, I agree.

Just mu $0.02

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

And MS's timing of releasing this Surface Studio was very well planned. Adding fire to the - why didn't this come from Apple? Where is the touch screen mac?

And yet, Apple has a whole line of touch screen devices that are more ergonomic to use than a laptop. And the biggest list of applications developed specifically for iOS and their i devices.

Also, not many people are aware... but for those that want it - there are already multi-touch options and inking/stylus capabilities. Apple won't just throw a touch screen on a MacBook Pro and call it a day. They will hem and haw on it until the interface is right.

If you made the Mac a touchscreen youd have to figure out how to make it a good experience with your finger on a touchscreen. Trust me, weve looked at that its a bad experience. Its not as good or as intuitive as with a mouse and trackpad.

Apples Philip Schiller talks computers, touchscreens and voice on the new MacBook Pro

I believe Ive has talked about the reasons for non-touch screen Macs as being ergonomic: In his opinion, its not natural or ergonomic to reach up to a screen as an interface.

So far, in my experience with Surface, Surface Book and other Windows machines, I agree.

Just mu $0.02

This keeps coming up and to me it's a false argument in that it seems it's not well understood by some how these devices can and are being used.

DESKTOP

I have the Surface Pro 4. Most of the time I use it as a desktop computer. It sits on my desk connected to the Surface Pro hub by a single cable. The Surface keyboard isn't attached, it just sits there propped up by the kickstand. The only time I interact with it is to turn it on and when I look at the front camera for sign in verification. The hub provides power, Ethernet, Displayport and four additional USB ports. USB is connected to:

- External 1TB SSD

- iConnectivity Mio10 (allows ALL of my MIDI devices DIN/USB to be shared equally between my Mac Pro and Surface Pro)

- Avid Eleven Rack audio interface

- USB hub on my monitor.

I run Protools 12, Studio One, MS Office, a bunch of plugins, VIs, etc.-- all the standard computer applications. It is connected to a Dell 24" monitor, with full-size keyboard and mouse. It's a desktop computer. In this configuration I NEVER use the touch screen.

TABLET

When I want to use the SP4 somewhere else in the house for more casual tablet use, I disconnect the single cable from the hub and go. It switches from wired Ethernet to WiFi and from external monitor to the Surface screen. I use it as anyone who use it for Netflix, music, web browsing, email. I still don't have the Surface keyboard attached, in this configuration I use the touch screen for EVERYTHING.

TRAVEL COMPUTER

When I travel I prefer the SP4 to my iPad because of the versatility. On the plane and just lounging I use it as a tablet. But when I want to do email, write up notes or use Lightroom for photo editing I set it up in "laptop" mode with the keyboard. I might use the touchscreen for some of this, but most is done with the keyboard and trackpad.

With the SP4 I can use keyboard. mouse, trackpad, touch or pen. I seldom use the pen, but certainly would if I were doing notation (Staffpad, etc.). These are extremely versatile devices. The ergonomics argument makes no sense to me as the way it's proposed is not how people are generally using these devices.

Busch.

I can see not having a touch screen for laptops that aren't also tablets.

I seldom use the pen, but certainly would if I were doing notation (Staffpad, etc.).

That's interesting because I bought an original Surface Pro when they first came out and the primary reason I bought it was to take notes with the pen using One Note. (I had always wanted to do that since companies like Motion Computing had such products years ago, but the technology and software then wasn't worth the price to me.) I think that we use it differently goes to show how versatile these things are. I'd love to have a Surface Pro 4 but can't see trashing my original one since it cost so much.

Korg Kronos 61, DSS-1, EX-8000; VAX77; John Bowen Solaris; Yamaha S90ES, TX81Z; Hammond XK3c; Kurzweil K2000S, PC88mx; Moog Minimoog

No need to wait to try out the touch bar.

Left my machine on over night to download gigabytes of Air Expand and Apple popped a Garageband update with Touch Bar support on the machine while I was sleeping.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Will need to try it - It's not a bad idea. Most of the time using Logic i have my laptop in clamshell mode. Being an Apple fan for most my life, I must say that the new Microsoft surface looks incredible. No chance of Logic running on it tho...:P

Christian Matthew Cullen

www.ChristianMatthewCullen.com

This keeps coming up and to me it's a false argument in that it seems it's not well understood by some how these devices can and are being used.

DESKTOP

I have the Surface Pro 4. Most of the time I use it as a desktop computer. It sits on my desk connected to the Surface Pro hub by a single cable. The Surface keyboard isn't attached, it just sits there propped up by the kickstand. The only time I interact with it is to turn it on and when I look at the front camera for sign in verification. The hub provides power, Ethernet, Displayport and four additional USB ports. USB is connected to:

- External 1TB SSD

- iConnectivity Mio10 (allows ALL of my MIDI devices DIN/USB to be shared equally between my Mac Pro and Surface Pro)

- Avid Eleven Rack audio interface

- USB hub on my monitor.

I run Protools 12, Studio One, MS Office, a bunch of plugins, VIs, etc.-- all the standard computer applications. It is connected to a Dell 24" monitor, with full-size keyboard and mouse. It's a desktop computer. In this configuration I NEVER use the touch screen.

TABLET

When I want to use the SP4 somewhere else in the house for more casual tablet use, I disconnect the single cable from the hub and go. It switches from wired Ethernet to WiFi and from external monitor to the Surface screen. I use it as anyone who use it for Netflix, music, web browsing, email. I still don't have the Surface keyboard attached, in this configuration I use the touch screen for EVERYTHING.

TRAVEL COMPUTER

When I travel I prefer the SP4 to my iPad because of the versatility. On the plane and just lounging I use it as a tablet. But when I want to do email, write up notes or use Lightroom for photo editing I set it up in "laptop" mode with the keyboard. I might use the touchscreen for some of this, but most is done with the keyboard and trackpad.

With the SP4 I can use keyboard. mouse, trackpad, touch or pen. I seldom use the pen, but certainly would if I were doing notation (Staffpad, etc.). These are extremely versatile devices. The ergonomics argument makes no sense to me as the way it's proposed is not how people are generally using these devices.

Busch.

You've made me want to give the SP4 a look. I agree that most of the time, it's a case of visualizing the workflow. :thu:

In my family, we will likely always be dual platform due to my wife's mac based video editing and my son's windows based chess databases.

Keep in mind Microsoft are positioning the top end Windows Phones as a fully functional smaller screen version of the Surface. Going to get interesting when you can run Cantabile with VI's or Omnisphere on a phone.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Archived