Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Stage versus Nord Piano 2

GREGHUX

I'm looking at a second hand Nord Piano 2 (88 key version) and just after opinions on it for a keyboard with great EPs and Pianos, and what might rival it. Not local so I can't have a play - but could visit local store and play the stage 88.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nord Piano 2 HA88 is the preferable one. The 76 has the HP action, blech. Unfortunately the NP2 only has 500mb of flash RAM for the Piano Library and 128mb for the Sample Synth. The piano section can only do 40 stereo and 60 mono polyphony, and the Sample Synth - 15 voice polyphony. It does have 2nd generation string resonance though which is nice for solo playing. But people don't buy the Nord for the specs. In band context the polyphony isn't an issue, just a bit lame in solo play with heavy pedal use. It's pretty shit easy to use, and weighs 39.6lbs.

I'm seeing NP2 HA88s on eBay from $1750 to $2500.

At that price you should really also check out the Yamaha CP4 - arguably nicer action (NW-GH with synthetic ivory key tops), excellent acoustic and electric pianos, 128 note polyphony, 38.5lbs, $2299 new, you can probably find one used for around $1700 as well.

The NP3 has 1gb of piano flash RAM, 256 for the Sample Synth. Same polyphony, same string resonance, but a triple sensor Fatar TP-40W action and some new software to get better expression out of it. They opted not to do synthetic ivory key tops for some reason. Nice new display. 40.1lbs $3k FTW.

Other things to look at:

Roland RD-800

Kawai MP7

Kawai ES8

Korg SV-1 88

Casio PX-5S

Kurzweil Forte SE and the various Artis Models

Korg SV-1 73

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Cheers, that's exactly the info I was after.

Yes I was wondering about the Korg SV-1. Yamahas have always been my favourite. I've been very impressed by the Kawai but I've seen some negativity regarding action defects online.

I have two of the Nord Piano 2 88s. Call me weird, it's turned into my go-to board for acoustic pianos, electric pianos, etc. Super light, super fun, love the AP sounds.

The small memory isn't a problem if you go for smallest sample sizes. In a gig situation, no one will notice, which means you can load up 6 grands and 4 uprights with no problem.

The keybed feel is entirely subjective. I like it, others don't. Rock solid reliability, plus immediately tweakable onstage. Ain't no menu diving.

Not sure, but I believe the Stage uses a different Fatar keybed. Others would know. I have a Nord Stage 2, and the keybed feel is entirely different than the Piano 2. The Stage keybed feels like a compromise to me, the Piano 2 keybed far less so.

And red looks pretty cool. Just sayin'

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

The NP3 uses a slightly heavier action than the NP2. The Kurtz PC3 uses the lightest of the TP40 fatar actions, NP2 is a bit heavier, and the NP3 is the heaviest. I have the NP2.

Also, Nord regulates these actions beyond what fatar does and the NP3 has a triple sensor system.

Nord regulates these actions beyond what fatar does and the NP3 has a triple sensor system.

This is actually just rumor and hear say. I have never seen any official mention from Nord that they modify the actions they purchase from Fatar to any extent. It's not advertised or promoted in their literature, in fact they avoid mentioning they use Fatar actions at all (where Kurzweil actually shares specifically which Fatar actions they are using in the specs for their entire lineup). What we do know is that Nord does extensive analysis of the performance of each Fatar action that goes into a Nord keyboard and the results of those tests are used to ensure that performance is consistent from key to key as well as from serial number to serial number.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Nord regulates these actions beyond what fatar does and the NP3 has a triple sensor system.

This is actually just rumor and hear say............

Rumor and hearsay that happens to be true.

This is actually just rumor and hear say. I have never seen any official mention from Nord that they modify the actions they purchase from Fatar to any extent. It's not advertised or promoted in their literature, in fact they avoid mentioning they use Fatar actions at all (where Kurzweil actually shares specifically which Fatar actions they are using in the specs for their entire lineup). What we do know is that Nord does extensive analysis of the performance of each Fatar action that goes into a Nord keyboard and the results of those tests are used to ensure that performance is consistent from key to key as well as from serial number to serial number.

+1 They don't make any hardware changes to the Fatar keybed.

It's only in software. Adjusting the touch sensivity curves to the Fatar hardware measurements.

• 2 weeks later...
One thing about the Nords polyphony,....... i never noticed any note stealing when playing solo piano, while brands with supposidly much larger polyphony did !

I play these incredibly lush, pedal parts on occasion, and I've never, ever noticed note stealing.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Archived