Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: How to remove duct tape residue from metal

B3bluesman59

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mineral spirits or naphtha. Really, pretty much any light petroleum distillate (lighter fluid).

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I've used lighter fluid before if you don't have goo gone or something like that. Works pretty well.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Just did that with Car Finish Tar/Bug remover from my car after my headlight ejected as I arrived at the gig parking lot 2 weeks ago or so and Duct taped it for the ride home! Talk about the Blues Brothers!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Goo Gone is great stuff, but try it on a little side area or something first. (I'd say that about anything really)

Gaffer's tape is also great stuff. I got cheap and bought some "low-residue" duct tape and it does seem to work much better than the regular stuff.

My keyboards were used for club date band for years. I had to gaff tape the logos on them for shows and video shoots. After being gaffed for so long, the tape became dry, brittle, and bonded to the plastic and metal.

Mineral spirits worked. But you have to let it soak and be patient. The tape and underlying glue will start to rehydrate and rub off with a little elbow grease.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

There's nothing quite like the beauty of an audio snake or mic cable that has been taped to the stage floor in every grungy bar in town. I don't think there's a solvent anywhere that can clean that up.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Goo Gone fan here. They have it a Home Depot. A similar product is Goof Off. I believe they're both petroleum-based, not alcohol. Since the gunk we're dissolving is also probably petroleum-based, that makes more sense to me.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I used to use Fender Electric Guitar Polish, in the aerosol can. It instantly ate that tape residue and wiped clean. Martin made an Acoustic Polish but it didn't work as well and was too oily. I don't even know if they make these products any longer.

http://onlineguitargenie.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Fender-guitar-polish-vintage-225x300.jpg

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

No matter what you use to remove the residue,once it's gone I would recommend cleaning the area with mild soap (Dawn) on a damp cloth followed by a rinse of a water dampened cloth in order to remove traces of whatever you used to remove the initial residue. What has worked for me when using mineral spirits is as soon as the sticky goo is gone is to do a final cleanup with a Windex dampened cloth. Don't know how Windex's ammonia will react with Googone or denatured alchohol.

I have both Goo Gone and Goof Off. GG is not as harsh as GO and has a citrus odor to it. GO is pretty strong and will sometimes remove stuff that GG wont. If it's totally bare metal with no paint or plating I will use acetone, which removes anything (including paint and plating).

Acetone and Goof Off should be used outdoors or in well ventilated areas.

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

Archived