Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Roland JC22 coming out.

ashevillecabbie

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a Roland EX4 Cube Street that does what I need with 2 8" speakers so I'm not in the market for another little busking/practicing amp/pa...I haven't seen the JC22 yet, so let us know Asheville if you pull the trigger on one! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I seem to be a rarity in that I really strongly dislike plugging into and playing through a Roland Jazz Chorus amp! :laugh: I really hate them! :D

That's two of us, Caevan. I don't hate them, but have never been impressed. I had a JC-90 for a while, and it always sounded to 'hi-fi' for my taste. The Chorus sound is classic, but the on-board Distortion is useless. Finally gave up on it and got the Blues Cube, which sounds and feels like a Guitar amp. I do know a number of keyboard players who like the JC series, and if you already have one of the recent Cube amps, you have a perfectly good JC model in there, if you want it.

Keep in mind that those numbers represent the combined output of the dual-amp system; a JC-120 is really two 60-watt amps, and so on, which suggests that a JC-22 would comprise two 10 or 11-watt amps in one cabinet.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

It's the sound of 1980's era King Crimson.

Unless I'm playing through it. ;)

I might even think- and I have experienced this before- that someone else sounds fine through one; but if I plug into it, I hate it.

If I want to sound like Belew or Fripp circa '80s Crimson, I have much better luck with a Fender Twin or a Hiwatt or other such powerful, loud, clean amp- and a bunch of pedals.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I seem to be a rarity in that I really strongly dislike plugging into and playing through a Roland Jazz Chorus amp! :laugh: I really hate them! :D

I'm not that into them, either... and I played through a solid state acoustic amp from 1979 for quite a while. One of my musical collaborators (not primarily a guitarist) just told me he wants to sell his Orange Rocker 30 combo to get another JC120, which he used to have... I advised him to get an EQ pedal (the clean channel on the Orange has no EQ) and a good chorus pedal and keep the Orange.

The Acoustic amp I had did a good job of imitating a little tube sag and dynamics. I think that's what some of us miss with the Jazz Chorus amps.

I have to admit I do like plugging a hollowbody jazzbox into a solid state amp and playing jazz. But I don't bend strings when I play jazz... different technique.

The Acoustic amp I had did a good job of imitating a little tube sag and dynamics. I think that's what some of us miss with the Jazz Chorus amps.

That, and the warmer, fatter harmonic-overtones of a good tube-amp. Roland JC series amps sound sterile and thin and crappy. They just suck. Their chorus effect sucks, too. At least, those are my observations. ;)

I have to admit I do like plugging a hollowbody jazzbox into a solid state amp and playing jazz. But I don't bend strings when I play jazz... different technique.

I still prefer a good high-powered tube-amp for clean Jazz type stuff. A Twin Reverb, a Vibro King, etc. A good Fender or Fender-like amp, such as a Tone King Comet or Meteor, and a Matchless JJ-30, "Y'd" simultaneously, makes a GREAT, FANTASTIC clean, clear, tight, beautiful Jazzy sound! :cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

It's the sound of 1980's era King Crimson.

True, though I associate the JC-120 more with Belew's sound than Robert Fripp's. The JC and its Chorus effect were perfect for Belew's jangly, syncopated sound. Even though Fripp had a JC-120 in his rig at the time, he also had a Fender Twin, presumably for more ferocious sounds.

I got my JC-90 in pursuit of that KC sound, but since I'm much more in the Fripp camp, as least as far as tone goes, it never quite delivered what I was looking for. I will say that it stood up quite well to all manner of effects, and even my Guitar Synths.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

I love the Fender tube amp sound the best. My newly acquired little Hot Rod Deluxe 112 gets some very nice clean reverb sound like my old Twin Reverb or my Hot Rod DeVille, with a lot less weight to pack around...I can always get dirty with a pedal or two if need be. :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Brother Fred, http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/roland-cube-street-ex-battery-powered-stereo-guitar-amplifier?rNtt=roland cube street&index=1 <---they are great little amps in a lot of ways, especially if you are a singer. One channel has a speaker only for running electric guitars or acoustic. The other channel has a speaker and two tweeters for running acoustic guitar or a mic. Very light weight and they sound good. Watts will go 10, 25 and 50. When running batteries I run on 10. When plugged in I run on 25. Great little practice amp or camping, outdoor gigs with no electricity close by and can be used as a monitor with outs to the PA and pre-mix your guitar and mic. Only weighs 16lbs.

On the down side, I give the tone a little less credit. I can get a decent tone by running the bass way up and the mid and treble way down on both channels. It's got some decent tone on guitars and vocals but one should not have to make this much adjustment to find it on the dials...It does pretty good but would not keep up with a quality jazz amp or tuber tone wise. It is very clean and very quiet with no noise and plenty of volume.

It has a 3rd channel for keyboard or MP3 or a looper, etc. Batteries are very easy to change and it has low battery warning lights which gives you a lot of time so as not to be surprised at a gig. I carry 8 spare double AA's. I also take the battery holder out of the amp while at home so there is no drain down and use the powers supply. The batteries last longer this way.

Hope this information is helpful. All in all I give it a B but for a busking amp, I give it an A... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

FWIW, avoid the Mobile Cube, please!!!! It's the one that looks, and sounds, like a transistor radio from the 60's, with a little plastic strap handle. Some listings have it as the Cube Mobile, to confuse matters.

Mobile Cube

Yes, it's less expensive than the Cube Street, but it's no bargain. Tinny sound, at best.

Yeah man. That's the stuff! Ain't it?

If you play cool, you are cool.

+1 I'm with you cats...But, I still like a tuber with that jazzbox better than playing it with the SS... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

+1 I'm with you cats...But, I still like a tuber with that jazzbox better than playing it with the SS... :cool:

Bro. Larry,

I agree. I can get a nice jazz tone from my Ampeg GVT15-112, especially on the 7.5 watt Triode setting. I was applauding playing Jazz on a hollow body archtop. For me, the amp is secondary.

If you play cool, you are cool.

I hear you Brother! I too considered the amp secondary until one day I plugged in my 410 Hot Rod DeVille after playing through solid state amps and PA's for last few years. I said to myself, man where has that sound been for so long LOL! So recently, a good buddy of mine decided to sell me his 112 Hot Rod Deluxe and I picked it up for a song as it's hardly been used. I have it plugged in right next to that little Roland Cube Street EX4 we have been talking about and the HRD has taken over on my electric guitar practices now! I still run a mic to the little Roland and use it for my practice PA and/or for my acoustics...but the electrics come through so sweet and clear through the Deluxe that it's going to be costing me more electricity from now on, and that includes my rockabilly time LOL! :crazy:
Take care, Larryz

Archived