Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Portable Desktops for Live gigs?

Ensenada Guide

I Will probably will go this way after much research and my needs.

any suggestions for that??

I have actually played live with desktop long time ago,i was much younger did not care to carry all that stuff and was going to the gym and had Big Guns.

Really need your input on this one ...

Something bigger than a mac mini but not a total fullblown tower

www.ensenadatourguide.com https://www.facebook.com/ldstourguide

Will give tours for Keyboards :)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you need that the mac mini doesn't give you?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Underpowered for what is the question. Not for running some AUs in a basic live rig. Yes, underpowered for editing HD video - 4k video don't bother.

The Mac Mini's have mobile processors, laptop variants of the i5 processors - that's how they manage heat in that little box without much fan nose. You don't want the entry level one, you want the mid (probably most economical) or top model. But at $1k - now you're getting in range of a MacBook Pro which would be preferable for a lot of reasons.

If you buy or build your own PC - for live, I'd do it in a rack enclosure. 1U or 2U. Then you can use the same box to cart around your PC as your mixer or whatever else you have. But then what's the plan for screen/monitor and keyboard and mouse/trackpad?

Just get a nice laptop (Mac or PC) with a decent size hard drive, large SSD if you can afford it and at least 8gb of RAM. 16 if you can afford it.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Find a previous generation Mac Mini used. AVOID the new ones. The new ones are dual-core, RAM soldered and the bay for a second drive is gone. Earlier models can be quad-core, expandable RAM and a second drive can be easily added. You might pay more for used than new because owners aren't stupid and they know what they've got. If you like the form factor, that's your best option. Perfect example of the "new" Apple at work.

Busch.

If you must go the Mac route, all the suggestions above sound good.

I'm sort of discouraged by Apple's hardware direction at this point.

Meanwhile, after looking at Sweetwater's Creation Station (the 2U model), I was thinking I could put together the same for less. I'd still need outboard audio I/O, but I could put together a cracking good 2U PC for around $800 (hardware + Win 10 US).

I make software noises.

The cost difference just isn't that big a deal - especially if you're the type to sell off your previous PC when a new one comes out. In which case, you'll still get near $1k for that MacBook Pro 3 years out from now.

Now, if you build your own PC in a rack case and get the price down to about $550. Well, then maybe it's worth the hassle. Or if you enjoy building PC's and it's a hobby for you, then sure, getting everything up and running isn't a waste of your time, it's an adventure. And getting Mac OS to run on it is a hoot! ;)

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I'm faced with upgrading my Mac laptop but not crazy about the latest offerings, given their lack of user upgradeability.

I've been considering getting an iMac and using an iLugger case to move it.

http://www.ilugger.com/?gclid=CN_TiYuiidACFYJDhgodyyMGzQ

I did this years ago with an old iMac.

Seems like the iMac is the best bargain out there...and on stage, it wouldn't be that much worse than a laptop. (Running MainStage and other synths).

We shall see...

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

Yes, the older Mac Minis are an option. I have a 2012 Mac Mini ($650 off of Craigslist) with the quad-core i7 and 16GB of RAM. I pulled the 1TB hard drive and replaced it with a 500GB SSD. It smokes.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

You might also consider something like the HP EliteDesk. I'm in the process of setting one up for the office and was thinking this might be a really nice mobile music computer. Same size as a MacMini but with user changeable memory and drives. Get the I7 version, stick in a 2TB SSD and you are good to go. No space to install a card, but mine has 6 USB 3 ports and two display ports.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Yes, the older Mac Minis are an option. I have a 2012 Mac Mini ($650 off of Craigslist) with the quad-core i7 and 16GB of RAM. I pulled the 1TB hard drive and replaced it with a 500GB SSD. It smokes.

HOW Much did you got it for ???

how much time do you think that will last??

that also looks a like a good option

www.ensenadatourguide.com https://www.facebook.com/ldstourguide

Will give tours for Keyboards :)

I paid $650 for it and the SSD was $200 (much cheaper now). I've had it two years with no issues. It came with the Apple Bluetooth keyboard and trackpad thing...those are like $70 each on their own. I'm not sure how long it will last, but I'm guessing I'll get 8-10 years out of it.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Seeing as how you were willing to drag a desktop out with you, this is probably not an issue for you, but one word of caution about the Mac Mini for live use:

Things may have changed and some of the newer generations, but the older generation models would not boot without a monitor plugged in. Some people devised a dongle to fool the system into thinking a monitor was attached with variable success. This was an issue for people who want to rack it and use it as a VST player without needing to see the display ("running headless") or trying to see the UI remotely on a tablet using some sort of VNC client.

If you were already planning on bringing a mouse and a monitor, this is a complete nonissue.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

Despite using Mac in my studio for music production, (and it sits almost next to a PC that I use for application programming and remote database management)...I've become rather disenfranchised by the lack of upgradability of most of the current Apple line.

I bit the bullet and went with an ADK laptop for live purposes.

I ended up with:

- i7 6700HQ Skylake Mobile 2.6GHz

- 16 Gigs Ram

- 512gb SSD for apps

- 1TB SSD for projects

Everything in there is field serviceable, upgradable, and I paid way less than I would have for a Macbook Pro with similar specs.

I've been able to run at least 32 tracks of audio with a number of processing plugins, PLUS instances of Massive, ABSynth, and Kontakt being played from various controllers ... and it's not hiccuped even once. I could run more at the same time and still not stress the CPU, but the above example was just a test and I'd never run that much anyway.

The folks at ADK were ABOVE helpful. They stayed in constant contact before shipping, asked all the right questions about the apps I'd be running, suggested ways to max performance and keep it that way, keep my business apps separate from the music apps ... and then offered to install and test EVERYTHING I'd be running that I had licenses for, for no extra fee. When the laptop showed up, it was 100% plug and play. I can't recommend these folks enough.

I note that they do have a rack-mount configuration on their site.

Honestly though, it wouldn't be impossible to build your own like I do. I've not bought a brand name PC for years. .

Les Mizzell

----------------------------------------------

Things may have changed and some of the newer generations, but the older generation models would not boot without a monitor plugged in. Some people devised a dongle to fool the system into thinking a monitor was attached with variable success.

I think the best fix for that was this:

https://macminicolo.net/blog/files/an-hdmi-adapter-for-a-headless-mac-mini.html

but also, as you say, I think that was an issue with older models, and shouldn't be an issue with something as new as we're speaking about.

Also, if you have an iPad, you can turn it into a Mac Mini display for 20 bucks.

http://www.duetdisplay.com

They also talk about using it with a Mini at

http://help.duetdisplay.com/faq/124720-can-i-use-duet-as-the-only-display-for-my-mac?from_search=13892181

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I Will probably will go this way after much research and my needs.

any suggestions for that??

I have actually played live with desktop long time ago,i was much younger did not care to carry all that stuff and was going to the gym and had Big Guns.

Really need your input on this one ...

This is what I would Suggest and have done. I would recommend a MIMO touch screen monitor, a small ITX motherboard, with an M.2 ssd for the OS.

This case is the size of a lunch box with a handy carrying handle

This board will fit in the above case and has an M.2 port for the new mega fast SSD format

This monitor is a small 10" touch screen monitor whcih could be mounted anywhere

http://www.lbre.com/photos/NewTouchScreen.jpg

Yamaha S90XS, Studiologic VMk-161 Organ

Small/powerful (i7, 32GB, M.2 SSD) PC controlled by 10" Touch Screen

Cantabile, Ravenscroft 275, Keyscape, OPX-II, Omnisphere 2, VB3, Chris Hein Horns, etc.

I would recommend a MIMO touch screen monitor

USB or HDMI?

And what control software are you running on that screen?

I would recommend the HDMI vs the USB. The USB monitor I got was before they came out with the HDMI. The USB requires the computer to boot up and does not see the BIOS post screen, so it could leave you a little in the dark if you need to go into the BIOS. The HDMI will work during BIOS post, and should be more stable.

The screen shot above is Brainspawn Forte which I used during that photo, but since the release of Cantabile V3. I switched over to Cantabile, which is simply an awesome VST host.

So this is a PC based system not an Apple based system. I went with PC based because I do not like locked down Apple hardware, and the associated costs. Not saying PC is better, just more appropriate to somebody like myself that has more PC and hardware experience and wants more flexibility/ upgradability.

The end result is that I get the most powerful hardware available, custom tailored to my needs, all while looking like a small tablet. In my book the best of both worlds.

Yamaha S90XS, Studiologic VMk-161 Organ

Small/powerful (i7, 32GB, M.2 SSD) PC controlled by 10" Touch Screen

Cantabile, Ravenscroft 275, Keyscape, OPX-II, Omnisphere 2, VB3, Chris Hein Horns, etc.

Archived