Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moog model d

fjzingo

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The obvious drawback is no presets but

you get quick once you have the panel

memorized.

You can also use the oscillator and tracking switches to

preset some things.

The mod wheel can be used for a quick

morph into madness.

Well, all relative, at least w/ the vintage one.

With a Minimoog D I highly recommend buying 2 CV-pedals, 1 for the filter and one for the (dual) VCA.

Expressivity increases immediatedly.

But lack of preset memory still IS a drawback when performing live.

I remember how welcome the Sequential Circuits Model 700 programmer was for all the pro touring Minimoog-, SEM- and ARP2600-guys.

I own a (my last) vintage Minimoog D, so I´m not in the market for the reissue.

I´d probably decide for a Voyager for gigging or wait for what comes next,- maybe a poly.

In my 80s live rig, I used 2 Minimoogs and a Taurus-I, so no need for lots of re-programming.

For some time I also used a MOOG Source, 16 preset memories were by far enough for some lead and bass patches.

Today and for gigging, you can cover that by using a Voyager and a Minitaur.

In a context, most can´t tell the differences.

A.C.

With a Minimoog D I highly recommend buying 2 CV-pedals, 1 for the filter and one for the (dual) VCA.

Expressivity increases immediatedly.

Not cheap and not a lot of options when it comes to voltage supplied CV pedals which the mini requires. We've discussed this before.

my useless comparison :laugh:

yes, IT HAS the sound!

(some years ago I made a similar test with my vintage Model D and a Voyager Old School and they were definitely NOT so close! the Little Phatty is much closer!)

That was quite a lovely comparison video! I didn't know you were here also...!

:like:

Not cheap ...

The Minimoog D reissue is also not cheap.

... and not a lot of options when it comes to voltage supplied CV pedals which the mini requires.

originally it requires a 1120 CV pedal which is a simple pedal mechanism w/ a pot (100k Allen Bradley IIRC), a 9volts battery and a standard mono TS audio cable.

You can make your own from any trashed wah pedal or exchange pot on existing pedals

We've discussed this before.

Where ?

A.C.

BTW I'm not big on battery powered anything for studio use but it should be just as easy to add a AC-DC power supply and jack.

:like:

That's a very cool find Mark. Trust you to be the resourceful one to find it. :cheers:

It's not for everyone, but if you are a "sit-down-and-play" improvising musician ... developing independent pedal control of filter and amp is a huge !@#$% skill. Al is right. It really helps you to trade solos and hang with guitar players and horn players.

Oops, posted this to the old thread as well :facepalm:.

This is the schematic for the original Moog 1120 pedal which uses either AC adapter or battery. Keep in mind the battery will drain if the foot pedal is connected - even if the Mini is not powered up.

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t490/Markyboard/1120%20Schem_zpsqgsamia2.jpg

it should be just as easy to add a AC-DC power supply and jack.

Yes, I´m using a TC Electronics "type 24800 S.C. protected power supply" offering 4 1/8" TS outlets w/ 80mA which is enough for my CV-pedals.

I own 2x 1120 and an Oberheim originally made for the OBX.

A.C.

Archived