Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moog model d

fjzingo

Got an email from my local store that the moog model D was in aweek or so ago, finally got some time to check it out.

Played around with it for quite a while turning knobs and stacking up oscillators. This beast really sounded fat and extremely vintage. It's quite striking how different all the moog synths sound, really like my LP but this was something else.

I never managed to get really earth shaking bass out of it, felt like it started to choke using 32' but that was perhaps due to the AKG headphones. Also the blue buttons were a bit flimsy, which is surprising on a unit this expensive. Keyboard action felt better than the Dave Smith OB6 sitting next to it, the OB6 sounds phat, but next to the moog it sounded like an 80s production.... :-) both are really cool.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I were to "go Moog" I would actually prefer a Voyager over the Model D re-issue, mainly because I need to store my sounds as presets for set-list performance. Actually the Voyager is/was supposed to be the 21st century update of the Minimoog, wasn't it? It still had an all-analog voice architecture, along with the updated digital goodies like MIDI and patch storage.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

You can't go wrong with any Moog, but I think the Sub 37 is the best bang for the buck, esp. with all it's features. Only drawback is it only has 2 oscillator - but I MIDI it to a Volca Keys and run the audio from the Keys into the Sub 37 to run it through the Moog filter. Really thickens things up.

I notice that the price on the Voyager is less than the new Model D keyboard. Given the memory capabilities of the Voyager, it seems to me that getting a Voyager is the obvious choice.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

I pre ordered a Model D reissue from a guy I know locally who orders wholesale and then resells. He was able to get me a GREAT price on one, but I had to balk. I've already got a number of the newer DSI offerings and a Sub 37 but even still, If I had the money where I didn't hurt to spend 3k like that, it sounds fantastic. Having played real D's before, nothing felt out of place and it sounded amazing. First thing I did was turn on all three oscillators to a saw wave, slightly detune them, and have fun playing with the filter.

I was thinking about selling my Sub 37 and another board of mine to fund it, but I couldn't give up patch memory for live use. I usually set up my Sub 37 for the bass player in my original group and have patches I designed for our songs ready to go. Couldn't do that on the D (wouldn't want to if I could though I guess, that thing would stay in the studio) so it didn't really make sense.

If you can afford it and aren't really concerned about patch memory, it's certainly an amazing piece of gear.

Got an email from my local store that the moog model D was in aweek or so ago...Dave Smith OB6 sitting next to...both are really cool.

Where is this music store that has both a new Minimoog Model D and an OB6 in stock?! :cool: I need to know so I can make my vacation plans! :laugh:

><>

Steve

The D has "That" sound.

The lack of low end was not the Moog.

I've accidentally dialed some really low notes

and it sounded like a train was coming into the building.

It's that powerful.

The obvious drawback is no presets but

you get quick once you have the panel

memorized.

You can also use the oscillator and tracking switches to

preset some things.

The mod wheel can be used for a quick

morph into madness.

John

come visit Washington DC sometime. Washington Music Center AKA Chuck Levin's has all current keyboards in stock hooked up and functioning. That's where all the Mid-Atlantic KC'ers spend our money. :thu:

Now back to the Model D. :cool:

:nopity:

Got an email from my local store that the moog model D was in aweek or so ago...Dave Smith OB6 sitting next to...both are really cool.

Where is this music store that has both a new Minimoog Model D and an OB6 in stock?! :cool: I need to know so I can make my vacation plans! :laugh:

Gothenburg - Sweden! Andreassons- they have all the latest goodies.

I never managed to get really earth shaking bass out of it, felt like it started to choke using 32' but that was perhaps due to the AKG headphones. ....

Oh Hell no. Headphones are so Anti-Moog. The way to experience what you are after is a pair of these supplied with Crown power.

http://www.absoluteclassdiscos.com/images/MobileDiscoHireMelbourne%20ev15030_.jpg

or a pair of these

http://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images1/1/0711/08/jbl-mr835-series-loudspeakers_1_892257e920dd41efc0ef57ad1465b561.jpg

Classic Moogs and ARPs ect...are fat and full of analog goodness but a BIG piece of the vintage sound was vintage amplification. Todays means of monitoring are sterile in comparison to the old ways ....... But I haven't heard silence in over 25 years. :D

Volume is tone. :laugh:

In the 70s recording synths through amplification in isolation was common. Sometimes you would layer a direct line with a mic'd amp. Synths didn't have stereo outs. Sometimes you used multiple mic placements or record dual tracks.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The D has "That" sound.

It's that powerful.

The obvious drawback is no presets but

you get quick once you have the panel

memorized.

You can also use the oscillator and tracking switches to

preset some things.

The mod wheel can be used for a quick

morph into madness.

John

Yep and the sound is really raw and fat even with one oscillator. So one can definitely use the on/offs for different sounds. I havent made many presets on my phatty, I more start off somewhere and adjust the sound as I go along. Sound shaping is an integrated part of playing sort off. Thats what I also always do with my nords live.

The bass was there when dialing in the 32', but it did more sound like mumble than an actual tone. I guess I need a loudspeaker instead of the AKG headphones to give justice to the tone.

I owned a Model D from '75 to '82, then I had to (i.e., was made to) sell it to help pay for college. In 2003 I bought a Voyager Performer- I liked it, but never really gelled with it. Over the years I occasionally had a chance to play a vintage Model D and always thought this is the sound, but I didn't want to pay the exorbitant price or deal with the vintage issues. I ended up selling the Voyager early this year, without remorse. Next thing I know Moog is re-issuing the Model D, and now I have one.

Totally, completely and utterly worth it. I have a massive feeling of deja vu playing it, it's like I was transported back 40 years to my long-lost original. I wouldn't trade it for ten Voyagers MIDIed together. Screw presets, I can dial up anything I want in seconds, and the added LFO and modulation options are like sprinkles on the icing on the cake.

Can't wait to play the new one...but I'm not a customer. :) Apologies for reposting this picture, but hey...who doesn't like gear pron?

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii617/Ken_Soper/twomoogssmall_zpsi64t3l1j.jpg

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

The D has "That" sound.

It's that powerful.

Yeah, man...ruined some headphones with my D :)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Back in the 70's when I bought my vintage Model D, it was common knowledge not to use headphones when playing low notes. Those oscillators will melt cones.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

come visit Washington DC sometime. Washington Music Center AKA Chuck Levin's has all current keyboards in stock hooked up and functioning. That's where all the Mid-Atlantic KC'ers spend our money.

One of these days... road trip! :)

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I owned a Model D from '75 to '82, then I had to (i.e., was made to) sell it to help pay for college. In 2003 I bought a Voyager Performer- I liked it, but never really gelled with it. Over the years I occasionally had a chance to play a vintage Model D and always thought this is the sound, but I didn't want to pay the exorbitant price or deal with the vintage issues. I ended up selling the Voyager early this year, without remorse. Next thing I know Moog is re-issuing the Model D, and now I have one.

Totally, completely and utterly worth it. I have a massive feeling of deja vu playing it, it's like I was transported back 40 years to my long-lost original. I wouldn't trade it for ten Voyagers MIDIed together. Screw presets, I can dial up anything I want in seconds, and the added LFO and modulation options are like sprinkles on the icing on the cake.

This is pretty much my take. Had the Voyager but still longed for a real Mini. I've always love the look of it and the sound. Would watch the ridiculous prices of vintage units on ebay but nothing ever felt like it was going to be a purchase that made sense. Really pure nostalgia for me. Sold the Voyager, got the Minimoog D. Feeling satisfied. Not going to let this one get away like my first (and second).

Still see vintage Minis on Reverb/ebay at those same prices but I don't think they're moving like they once were. Much smaller market for people looking for the old version (and that's all it is).

Busch.

I started getting into analog synths in 1981. I never owned a minimoog until 1992 when I bought my RA Moog Minimoog just before the vintage craze kicked in. Installed a Lintronics MIDI retrofit in 1996. Got the Voyager in 2004, kept both. Both have their strengths that I exploit. Haven't yet heard the reissue, but with Gene Stopp behind the project and having played his Moog 15 reissue I have faith that it sounds like the original. I met Gene at the Moog booth this past winter NAMM and it was nice to know that we have high mutual respect for each other.

Yeah, I really think that Moog hit a home run with this one. Has the same groove AND they made it better than the original!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I'm the caretaker of a friend's 1980 Model D.

I played a 2016 Model D recently, it was real cool, but the aftertouch was a little annoying (and no apparent panel knob to control it). Also, how does one change the MIDI channel?

I played a 2016 Model D recently, it was real cool, but the aftertouch was a little annoying (and no apparent panel knob to control it). Also, how does one change the MIDI channel?

The patch panel in the rear has a knob next to the aftertouch output to control aftertouch amount. Also, pretty sure you can disable it completely by removing the patch cables. Same with velocity.

To set the MIDI Channel:

Hold A#3 and press any of the lowest 16 lowest keys while turning on the power to set the MIDI Channel. The MIDI IN and MIDI OUT Channel are always the same.

• 3 months later...

ciao!

my useless comparison :laugh:

yes, IT HAS the sound!

(some years ago I made a similar test with my vintage Model D and a Voyager Old School and they were definitely NOT so close! the Little Phatty is much closer!)

part 1:

[video:youtube]

part 2:

[video:youtube]

The original Model D was my first synth. It was wonderful for learning how to program sounds from scratch. A drifting Osc 2 made it a nightmare on stage. Would never go back to that again. I have a Voyager and love being able to save patches. For stage, I'll stick with a Virus TI. Very stable. Does not go out of tune when the air unit kicks in, and the audience does not notice the difference.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

my useless comparison :laugh:

yes, IT HAS the sound!

(some years ago I made a similar test with my vintage Model D and a Voyager Old School and they were definitely NOT so close! the Little Phatty is much closer!)

That was quite a lovely comparison video! I didn't know you were here also...!

A drifting Osc 2 made it a nightmare on stage.

Osc 2 drift is a bug on all vintage model Ds with the 3046 oscillator card. Instead of using an independent 3046 transistor array, they used a spare pair in one of them. While Osc 1 and 3 used the matched pair on the 3046, the spare pair on Osc 2 are not the matched ones on the 3046.

I don't know if this has been remedied in the reissue...

Osc 2 drift is a bug on all vintage model Ds with the 3046 oscillator card. Instead of using an independent 3046 transistor array, they used a spare pair in one of them. While Osc 1 and 3 used the matched pair on the 3046, the spare pair on Osc 2 are not the matched ones on the 3046.

Never knew that, but I see your name all over previous discussions regarding this :cool:. I would have thought they'd choose Osc 3 for the spares since it often serves LFO duties- but maybe not :idk .

Assuming they're using the same parts I seriously doubt the reissue didn't make a "fix" for this design issue; pretty stupid if they didn't.

I never knew that either. I had several techs look at it back in the day. One even installed a heating bar on the back to stabilize the temp. Didn't help at all. Between fighting Osc 2 on the Mini, and having a very early run of the MemoryMoog which had its own tuning issues, I was extremely happy to exchange them all for a DX7 which sounded worse but stayed in tune on stage.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived