Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PORTABLE KEYBOARD AMPS

Derek Sherinian

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's often the lower paying gigs where I'm doing music that I love with better musicians. You better believe I want to sound the best I can both in my playing and the instrument-amplification chain I use.

I played a smal(er) show last night way out in east county, which is a haul from where i live. Small stage , so-so sound system, basically a neighborhood bar type place which i haven't been playing much the last couple years. Pleyed with a newer band that still finding its groove and we've had a couple iffy/ok gigs.

And it sorta just all came together. A fired up crowd of rockers helped feed the energy but man that was a blast.

I had my ELX112P behind me, some add in the front monitors and close enough to the FOH speakers I could hear a bit going out to the room. Sounded great. Often its not so much the monitor i use, its the overall stage mix/sound control that makes a great stage experience for me. If its not a balanced band mix, i don't really care how "great" i sound, i'm not feeling it. Just me.

As to K's, i A/B'd K10 vs DXR10, I personally preferred DXR for keys. Again just me, both are top quality respected products.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

If its not a balanced band mix, i don't really care how "great" i sound, i'm not feeling it. Just me.

I agree it's the sum of all the pieces that make for a good experience hearing yourself. I'd venture to say you got lucky last night.

When I bring my 2 K8s to a local gig, I am usually not happy to see a sound man that wants to put me in the house PA. It means that the sound from my two speakers, placed about 3 or 4 feet behind me, is probably going to be overwhelmed by my keys coming out of the PA, bouncing off the back walls of the club, and back at me. This messes with my playing and makes for an unenjoyable gig. However, this is a moot point now because I'll be using in-ears in that situation. I still really enjoy the smaller jazz-type gigs where, if there is a PA, it's only for vocalists and/or horn players. That lets me use my K8s as the sole sound source for my rig I'm much happier!

If its not a balanced band mix, i don't really care how "great" i sound, i'm not feeling it. Just me.

I agree it's the sum of all the pieces that make for a good experience hearing yourself. I'd venture to say you got lucky last night.

When I bring my 2 K8s to a local gig, I am usually not happy to see a sound man that wants to put me in the house PA. It means that the sound from my two speakers, placed about 3 or 4 feet behind me, is probably going to be overwhelmed by my keys coming out of the PA, bouncing off the back walls of the club, and back at me. This messes with my playing and makes for an unenjoyable gig. However, this is a moot point now because I'll be using in-ears in that situation. I still really enjoy the smaller jazz-type gigs where, if there is a PA, it's only for vocalists and/or horn players. That lets me use my K8s as the sole sound source for my rig I'm much happier!

lucky for me the place was packed with bodies to absorb any bounce-back :). i am the opposite - i like main sound thru FOH so stage volumes behind us aren't trying to fill an entire room. but we play loud so thats a problem if its all personal amp sourced. I can't get a balanced band mix if I'm pumping full room keys from behind me, while the guitar is on opposite far side of stage. Sure enough first song I couldnt hear the guitar, instead of just dealing with it I called out to sound guy to bring her up in my monitor. then it got fun!

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

The local gigs where I get to play what I like with musicians I like playing with are more small places - restaurants or bars, mostly with no real stages at all. In a larger space with a real PA I understand that I'm sending to FOH so I just hope for the best. Haven't done any of those gigs since going in-ears, so whether I even bring the K8s will depend on the monitoring setup and whatever the soundperson or bandleader wants. I have to be honest and say that some gigs I'm not overly concerned with my FOH sound like a wedding where Uncle Ernie is gonna enjoy my rendition of the Chicken Dance regardless of what gear any of us use. For those kinds of affairs I'd just as soon leave my speakers home, that's less gear to shlep.

The best I've ever had to use was

L'Acoustics 108p

It's self powered, small, light, loud, and clear.

It's also off the charts expensive.

If I had the money that's what I would bring

Two of them take up

less room than a Mackie SRM 450

and are beefy enough to run as tops for the whole band

over a sub. They are that good.

The only other one which I've had used for

FOH once are the

Danley SM60's. Over their legendary subs.

They are in the same league.

They are pyramid shaped so you could throw one

on the floor or up in a stand.

Amazingly clear. You can definitely hear the difference

But they're really a FOH thing. Nice even throw.

Almost like a line array as you walk towards the back.

L'Acoustics. 2 of them running stereo.

I can dream.

John.

Yep. Never tried the L'Acoustics (on my bucket list!), but have a pair of the Fulcrum Acoustic 12acs which are also coax with DSP processing. Sorta in the same league. Incredibly sweet and pure. Intoxicating ear candy.

If only the good stuff wasn't stupidly expensive.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Archived