Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GRACIE!

whitefang

Grace Slick is 77 years old today.

I can recall when a LOT of guys thought she was not only the "greatest" female vocalist around, but also the "hottest"!

But, like the old song goes, "Ain't it funny, how time slips away."

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRACE!
<---I can listen to White Rabbit all day long! Classic! :cool:

Yeah, that song, in a year of other great tunes('67) certainly WAS a game changer!

Whitefang

• 2 weeks later...

I skipped this 1 at 1st b/c I thought it was abt Gracie Allen (y'know Geo Burns's wife).

Kinda surprise at what I read.

Last year Slick was gettin' the stick here for criticizing some younger musos....

She's had her share of upsNdowns but it is true that she was a leader in rock music when she & Janis Joplin were breaking free from the earlier era of geneic girl groups, etc.

Here are a couple fave Slick compositions:

BTW, she was nnot just pretty but actually musically skilled.

Consider the quality of her vox + the fact that she actually composed her songs completely---skilled pianist.

TWO HEADS

[video:youtube]

REJOYCE / a celebration of James Joyce

AND

here's 1 she wrote abt her BFF, JA drummer Spencer Dryden

d=halfnote

Hey d!

I didn't know Grace wrote those tunes. In fact, I never really knew, or even CARED who wrote what tunes Airplane did. But LATHER is one of my favorites by them, and that makes the info MORE interesting. ;)

Whitefang

Well that shows how I`ve been spending my day...just got back from a martial arts seminar-completely forgot that this wasn`t about Brazilian jiu-jutsu haha...

You just reminded me of my ex's goofy kid brother, who once complained about "colored people" having their own SPORTS LEAGUE. It turned out he confused the NAACP with the NCAA! :D

And once, upon hearing the term "Jiu-Jutsu" (or "Jujutsu") commented he wasn't aware of JEWS having any form of martial arts. :D

I'm NOT making this up! :)

Whitefang

You just reminded me of my ex's goofy kid brother, who once complained about "colored people" having their own SPORTS LEAGUE. It turned out he confused the NAACP with the NCAA! :D

And once, upon hearing the term "Jiu-Jutsu" (or "Jujutsu") commented he wasn't aware of JEWS having any form of martial arts. :D

I'm NOT making this up! :)

Whitefang

I just hope this guy doesn't vote. And reproduce.

Scott Fraser

I should be fair to him. Sure, he was an odd one, but he really got into a lot of music that you wouldn't expect someone his age would. He for a time was practically a walking encyclopedia of The Beatles, he became such a big fan. He was born shortly before THEY became so big. And he also was a voracious liner note reader and knew a lot about who played what on which album, and what band so-and-so played with before they went to some other band and like that. Despite his weirdness, I really sort of liked the kid. Born three months premature, he never grew to what the "normal" height for his age, and although "book smart", was woefully "life dumb" and later developed a severe addiction to heroin. He died of an overdose one year to the DAY before my ex.

Whitefang

I should be fair to him. Sure, he was an odd one, but he really got into a lot of music that you wouldn't expect someone his age would. He for a time was practically a walking encyclopedia of The Beatles, he became such a big fan. He was born shortly before THEY became so big. And he also was a voracious liner note reader and knew a lot about who played what on which album, and what band so-and-so played with before they went to some other band and like that. Despite his weirdness, I really sort of liked the kid. Born three months premature, he never grew to what the "normal" height for his age, and although "book smart", was woefully "life dumb" and later developed a severe addiction to heroin. He died of an overdose one year to the DAY before my ex.

Whitefang

OK, he gets a pass. Anything more than one month premature starts to cut into various systems needed for a normal life. Tough break, really tough.

Scott Fraser

One of the toughest for me was that because of his diminished size due to it his parents wouldn't even let him TRY to do much of what "normal" kids his age would naturally do. This led to him not having many friends and combined with his extreme trusting nature kept getting screwed over by those who CLAIMED to be his "friends".

Another one of my favorite "Chrisisms" was one night he was over when I was watching one of those late '40's-early '50's movies about special agents hunting American communist party members and sneaking into their "secret meetings" and such. At one point he asked, "How come all the communists in these kind of movies are all named CONRAD?" :D

My coffee damn near came out my NOSE!

Whitefang

Let's not forget LEO GORCEY's "Slip" Mahoney. ;)

One of my favorites from "Slip" was when he gets a girl to agree to meet him somewhere for a date, he tells her, "I'll be waiting with BAIT BREATH." :D

Someone up there said something about thinking this thread was about Gracie Allen..One of my favorite bits from HER was when George Burns walks into a room where she's arranging a vase of flowers. He tells her, "Boy Gracie, those are sure good looking flowers." And Gracies tells him, "Thanks, George, but I wouldn't have them if it wasn't for you."

George said, "Me? I don't remember giving you any flowers. What did I have to do with it?"

Gracie informs him, "Remember when I told you this morning I was going to visit Mrs. Harper at the hospital? You said that when I go to see her that I should also take her flowers. So, when she wasn't looking, I DID." :D

Whitefang

Archived