Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Most recognizable synth sound

J. Dan

The other thread is going around asking your favorite, but there are some sounds that immediately make you think of a certain song - even if it occurs in a different song, you think "oh yeah, the ________ sound".

A couple obvious examples:

1) the Synclavier sound in the intro to Beat It by MJ

2) the cars Hard Sync on Let's go (also on other cars songs, and No Doubt "Just a Girl")

3) ARP Odessey in the intro to Rush 2112 Overture

Others?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OB-X filter sweep on Tom Sawyer.

What's that detuned oscillator patch on The Human League's Keep Feeling Fascination? Prophet 5?

The DX7 Rhodes/EP on Whitney Houston's Greatest Love of All.

Here's a neat site:

http://www.synthmania.com/Famous%20Sounds.htm

Live: Yamaha CP88, Roland VR-700

Home: Rebuilt 1910 Chickering 5'2", Fender Rhodes MKI 88k, Casio PX-560

OB-X filter sweep on Tom Sawyer.

You're probably right, but for some reason I always had it in my mind that it was a Taurus pedal

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Jump? OBX-a

I thought about that, but it's really the most basic of basic sawtooth. I think it's the recognizable riff that people identify with, not the actual sound. You could play so,etching completely different like "love comes walking in" and people wouldn't immediately say "that's the jump sound".

Dan

Jump? OBX-a

I thought about that, but it's really the most basic of basic sawtooth. I think it's the recognizable riff that people identify with, not the actual sound. You could play so,etching completely different like "love comes walking in" and people wouldn't immediately say "that's the jump sound".

I would agree with Dan. I think the Jump *riff* is probably among the most recognizable synth riffs, but the sound itself is pretty generic.

Interesting line of thinking comes from this: Take just the sound and play something completely different from the song(s) that made it famous and see if people can recognize it. THAT would be the true test, IMO.

My whole point: How many songs use a square lead with Portamento? If you play a specific lead, it's recognizable, but ONLY if you play THAT. I feel the same with the saw patch. Sure, hit the low E and it's jump. But what if you play something else. Is it the jump patch?

Dan

It's been said that the Hammond was the first synthesizer...

First mass produced polyphonic additive synth, sorta. But it was preceded by the Theremin, and the Telharmonium before that.

And pipe organs, with mutation (non-octave harmonic) stops, modulators (tremulant and swell box), detuning (chorale), and an eight-to-nine octave range, got there first.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Archived