Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

something new from Korg on the way

hurricane hugo

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KingKorg is 5 octaves - that's not small. ;)

Not new either. Some black paint and maybe a few new features, but meh.

Might as well join the ' i crowd '. Hook up your favorite keyboard/controller. Get the apps, etc, etc.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Strikes me as slightly humorous that the special edition with the big announcement is that it's the color most other manufacturers would have made it to begin with.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Strikes me as slightly humorous that the special edition with the big announcement is that it's the color most other manufacturers would have made it to begin with.

The Odyssey rack is a nice but needed move, IMO.

The marketing for this product launch looked low budget. I did not expect

anything ' big' or expensive.

Is Korg trying to market to the dance crowd/millenials ?

Are they following Roland marketing ?

I am curious about their strategy. It looks like the products are low to moderate budget

stuff.

the " i " stuff is more interesting to me, at this point.

[70's Songwriter]

Here's some reading if you really want to catch up:

https://www.attackmagazine.com/features/long-read/the-democratisation-of-synthesis-korg-designers-on-the-making-of-the-minilogue/

Tatsuya Takahashi - the whiz kid with the English accent - is the guy who changed Korg's direction. He is a millennial, and probably the most influential in the synth industry.. Korg's re-entry into the analog synth market started with him. He would have been about 26 years old when he was hired. I read in an earlier interview that he makes house/techno music himself. He designs instruments for himself, and his tastes just happens to be in line with those who buy the products he's designed.

Here's some reading if you really want to catch up:

https://www.attackmagazine.com/features/long-read/the-democratisation-of-synthesis-korg-designers-on-the-making-of-the-minilogue/

Tatsuya Takahashi - the whiz kid with the English accent - is the guy who changed Korg's direction. He is a millennial, and probably the most influential in the synth industry.. Korg's re-entry into the analog synth market started with him. He would have been about 26 years old when he was hired. I read in an earlier interview that he makes house/techno music himself. He designs instruments for himself, and his tastes just happens to be in line with those who buy the products he's designed.

aha. Now I am geeked out.

I thought Korgs ' new ' president was most influential. Maybe its these 2 guys.

And this remark is revealing ; " a bit like an ongoing conversation with the circuit. The Minilogue required more of this because it was a completely new circuit and it was very needy the first prototype was a rebel. But we had a sit down and talked over what might be upsetting him "

[70's Songwriter]

KingKorg is 5 octaves - that's not small. ;)

Not new either. Some black paint and maybe a few new features, but meh.

And probably STILL doesn't have aftertouch.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

I am curious about their strategy. It looks like the products are low to moderate budget

stuff.

You've got it backwards. Korg pretty much invented the space with the MicroKorg which came out in 2002. It was, and still is, a hugely successful VA having sold what? 300,000 - 400,000 units. Everyone has been trying to replicate that success with minikeys. So too with the Volca line which gave everyone access to analogs at a $150 price point. Again, hugely successful and that was "Tats" starting point as a synth designer at Korg.

I was in a music store the other day which had a wonderful assortment of the latest keyboards, Montages, all the Nords, a Minimoog D and all the very latest Roland stuff. I asked the manager what's selling and he just said the Minilogue is still hot. It came out right before last years' NAMM and has been largely on backorder ever since. Expect the Monologue to follow suit. It has an aggressive sound and pretty unique feature set, high build quality, entry level price and cool colors.

Roland's stuff is largely backward looking. The plug-outs and Boutique series all replicate earlier synths. Korg has done that too with the MS20 and Odyssey, but most of their synths designs are new.

Busch.

You've got it backwards. Korg pretty much invented the space with the MicroKorg which came out in 2002. It was, and still is, a hugely successful VA having sold what? 300,000 - 400,000 units. Everyone has been trying to replicate that success with minikeys. So too with the Volca line which gave everyone access to analogs at a $150 price point. Again, hugely successful and that was "Tats" starting point as a synth designer at Korg.

I

Roland's stuff is largely backward looking. The plug-outs and Boutique series all replicate earlier synths. Korg has done that too with the MS20 and Odyssey, but most of their synths designs are new.

Busch.

good info. I felt that Korg was selling truckloads of a synth. I was not following VA.

Success breeds more success. Low price sells, etc, etc. Korg gave these 2 talented guys the budget to keep things flying high.

[70's Songwriter]

The monologue looks great. I just wish it had more keys. I like to use my instruments as-is and I just realized the monologue has less keys than my CS-01.

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

stuff.

You've got it backwards. Korg pretty much invented the space with the MicroKorg which came out in 2002. It was, and still is, a hugely successful VA having sold what? 300,000 - 400,000 units.

Best selling synth of all time, I believe.

they're iOS apps are good, some of the best written for iOS. so if that's your scene, then yeah. it's a cool announcement.

The monologue in multiple colors for $300 + $13 for the power adapter (sold separately?)

I dunno who this synth is for. I guess for whatever crowd is collecting these mini synths. Bedroom producer types and DJs no?

The King Korg does look better in black, BTW. Still not as cool as the DM12 - both at $999. YMMV

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I am actually interested in the monologue.

I have a deep hatred for manufacturers making these two octave keyboards, but with the low E lay out and the price, I can forgive it here. (I'd still prefer 2 1/2 or 3 octaves though)

As for the hope the king korg has a better keybed...here here! if it is the same as the Kross (and I think it is) it leaves a LOT to be desired alright.

However the black (i.e. normal looking) King Korg is a limited item, so I'm not giving it a second thought, or even a first thought for that matter.

Stage: Korg Krome 88.

Home: Korg Kross 61, Yamaha reface CS, Korg SP250, Korg mono/poly Kawai ep 608, Korg m1, Yamaha KX-5

A Trident MkII (or "ARP Quadra MkII") with some modern amenities would be a winning instrument, IMO. Its not hard to make a case for a smart 4-section synth. The Roland JD-Xa is on the right track, with an analog section and a ROM-ish digital section, but it stops too short at just 4-voices each. I like seeing CV/Gate options on any otherwise 'digital' synth, so I get the feeling that the market would embrace a new "Trident MkIII" that could behave like a workstation minus the sequencer. I like having a lot of the main goods in a central box, but having found my early niche with a MIDI star-network, the image of a central 'board controlling 4 outboard toys has a pleasant echo of memory to it.

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

Meh.

I guess since the Sledge looks good in black, Korg had to buy the same dress?

I really wish Korg had made the KK black in the first place, like a "normal" keyboard. It's red-headed-step-sister-fugly in that champagne colour.

Although that is part of its charm (the keyboard, not your step-sister).

I inherently gravitate toward the strange and unusual and prefer the original champagne King. Although not as much now since Krome has become available in that hue. Would'nt kick either of these lovelies out of the house, myself.

Oh, and I prefer redheads. :cool:

Archived