Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MassiveSkills

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - attributed to Albert Einstein, circa 1933

With the quote above in mind, I wasn't aware that music theory needed to be further simplified and demystified. Perhaps you can help me understand why it does.

Dude, I wasn't trying to be arch or snarky. There are a HUGE number of books about jazz improv and music theory - all of them trying to make things clearer for us players.

Your original description which you've deleted made me scratch my head - as I'm not sure what you meant (could have meant several things...).

So I was just asking for a high-level explanation - what you see as needing additional simplification and demystifying - which I think is fair since you're soliciting us for our comments, contributions, or whatever. If you're really writing a book on the subject, I'm not sure why you'd react to my inquiry by trying to delete the thread.

Tim

I think you should restore the OP. Even if it's a question that seems simple or contentious, it's of value to the board to have it asked and answered (or rather, responded to). Particularly since it was addressed by Tim, whose input is almost always valuable/interesting/worthy.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I missed the original post... but I am very interested in discussing theory in music

A most worthy subject that has been overcomplicated, and over reduced ( reductionism I believe is the term ), and an admixture of very old, semi old theories all in one confusing mess. What is germane to the situation... a new theory.. is very interesting to me... not so much for my personal knowledge but for others.

So bring it on.

May I take the liberty ( given my unpopularity here ) of mentioning a few items for discussion..

Counterpoint or contrapuntal or multiple melodic ideas

needs review

Intervals are fundamental in music... is there a better way than the current way of teaching intervalic awareness?

I have noticed a nonchalnace about minor chords... where eg Am7 is freely added to A minor. Am and Am7 are similar but different

The mystery or controversy over dim chords

Is a dim chord really part of a flat nine dominant as Schoenberg says?

Resolution of the dissonance ( IS there a dissonance, in the first place?) down a step, taught?

How about preparation of dissonance?

Does the equal tempered scale make distinctions in accidentals academic, E# F?

Is there any useful book on the vastly superior subjects of rhythm and also melody?

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

OK. Here's my goulash, gumbo, spaghetti on the wall understanding of theory: I always thought (maybe an old teacher of mine said this?) that the theory came after the music was written/played. It's an explanation, not a framework a composer must work within.

Makes me wonder: What was Art Tatum thinking? All those phrases and reharms. Did he have a little theory going on in the back of his mind or was he just dreaming while awake? He's one of my favorites. No idea how he did it.

Kurzweil PC4

OK. Here's my goulash, gumbo, spaghetti on the wall understanding of theory: I always thought (maybe an old teacher of mine said this?) that the theory came after the music was written/played. It's an explanation, not a framework a composer must work within.

Makes me wonder: What was Art Tatum thinking? All those phrases and reharms. Did he have a little theory going on in the back of his mind or was he just dreaming while awake? He's one of my favorites. No idea how he did it.

"God is in the house" indeed, Mr Art Tatum is a misunderstood overlooked genius; not unlike JS Bach..

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I learned the theory as well as I could so I could forget it in the heat battle.

A key thing for me in music performance and Chess tactics is pattern recognition. It is how we can listen to tunes and just be able to play them / chart them.

From a martial arts perspective I learned the only way to mushin ( correct instinctive action without thought) is through yushin ( systematic drilling of proper technique).

That said I have no idea what the thread was.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Commas are tame. You know what's nasty? Colons!

Right on. I get mine tested every five years just in case. (Did you just hear a rimshot?)

I might have chosen a different term in this case.

:keynana:

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

what bugs me about this thread is the the OP truly does have massive skills and I would like to know what info he was after. Tim, since you responded first can you let the clueless masses know what happened?
:nopity:

Hey all,

Thanks for the kind words. Here's the thing - I've already inadvertently irritated the OP, which wasn't my intent. So I'm very hesitant to try to represent the original post (which I don't fully remember in detail) at the risk of putting words in MassiveSkills' mouth that he doesn't intend.

I'd much rather he come back as well, just ignore me and fill you all in on what he's got planned, and what he's working on. Hopefully he'll do that in the next day or so.

Tim

what bugs me about this thread is the the OP truly does have massive skills and I would like to know what info he was after.

He's working on a thesis called "Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge". Basically contending that current music theory is turning musicians into obese diabetics.

Check out my full colon! :

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I also read the OPs OP.

This is about the first time I have ever found myself knowing something round here which most of you don't....... :D :D :D

(I wonder if the power will go to my head?).... :idea:

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Check out my full colon! :

Some funny punctuation mark jokes, but please let's respect them! They can really prevent some nasty misunderstandings, such as:

Some people enjoy cooking their families and their dogs.

vs.

Some people enjoy cooking, their families, and their dogs.

Lets eat Grandma!

vs.

Lets eat, Grandma!

200_s.gif

Archived