Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's the Perfect Pop Tune?

Someone mentioned Seal earlier...I've gotta say that recent tune of his "Waiting For You" pops into my head a lot.

Let's ask a question...what in your terms defines "pop"? I see songs here that could fall into any "pop" category, including:

Pop

Rock

R&B/Soul

Power Pop

Bubblegum

Pop, by sheer definition, I suppose, defines any "popular" music...but, in a world where there are 80 subcategories of "metal"...is it worth it to narrow it down? I mean, some "pop" genre tunes get very little airplay...they just fit into that genre. Whaddya think?

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Del Amitri! I thought I was the only one.

How about “Kiss This Thing Goodbye” by the above mentioned Scottish rock popsters?

Mexican Wine - Fountains of Wayne

Kodachrome - Paul Simon

One - Harry Nilsson

I'll Be There - Jackson Five

You Didn't Have To Be So Nice – The Lovin' Spoonful

Wedding Bell Blues – 5th Dimension

Galveston/Wichita Linemen/Gentle on My Mind – Glen Campbell/Jimmy Webb

Build Me up Buttercup - The Foundations

…and yes, The Mayor of Simpleton – XTC

The purpose of a great pop song is to drive the listener to ecstasy. “I love this part, but wait "till the harmony pops in on the bridge, and Oh Yes! My heart!”

At the risk of sounding like a nimrod, "Wichita Lineman" ranks up there with my favorite songs of all time. So, I'm a nimrod. Ya wanna make something of it? :D

Here's a real oldie from the big band era that I like too, for some odd reason..."The Sunny Side Of The Street". I think because it just reminds me of my childhood. Aw, gee, pop, what a swell song!

Phil took most of my list!

"Cruel To Be Kind" is #1 on my Perfect Pop Song list.

"Mayor of Simpleton" turned my 12 year old daughter into an XTC fan. Her favorite current band is Fountains of Wayne, so the kid does have an ear for great pop song craftsmanship.

Incidentally, my Fountains of Wayne entry for Perfect Pop Tune is "Red Dragon Tattoo".

Matthew Sweet's "Girlfriend" and "I've Been Waiting" are both brilliant.

Elvis Costello's "Alison" certainly foreshadowed great things to come.

Prince "When You Were Mine" is often overlooked classic pop.

Others:

- every Buddy Holly hit

- ditto for Burt Bacharach

- The Kinks "Tired of Waiting"

- 10cc "I'm Not In Love"

- Crowded House "Don't Dream It's Over"

- Squeeze "Another Nail In My Heart"

- Prentenders "Talk of the Town"

Originally posted by songrytr:

Don't Dream It's Over - Crowded House (the New Zealand Beatles as far as I'm concerned)...

...Pulling Muscles From The Shell - Squeeze...

Definitly agree with Crowded House!. Got a good laugh with Pulling Muscles From The Shell cause since it came out I always thought it was Pulling Muscles for Michelle. :eek::D

OK the ultimate pop song...

ABC by the Jackson Five!!

Searching for a new sig

Would you agree that it is harder to write / arrange a great pop tune than a great rock tune?

Regarding pop tunes, you can't go by just the "turn it up" factor - I do that with "Purple Haze" everytime I hear it, but I don't consider it to be a pop tune.

In a great pop tune, the structure, lyrics, arrangement, mix, and sometimes production etc. all come into play.

I agree with the people who said that half the Beatle tunes fall into that category - they were a pop band, and even though they could rock, they weren't a rock band.

Just off the top of my head:

The Rapper - Jaggerz

Owner of a Lonely Heart - Yes

Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel

Ball of Confusion - Temptations

Drift Away - Dobie Grey

And so many more...

Pete

The song? "The Mayor of Simpleton" by Andy Partridge, from XTC's Oranges and Lemons

Excellent choice. I've always loved XTC precisely because they were not in the mainstream. Another great one of their's is "Love on a Farmboy's Wages". The list goes on.

I've never been a big fan of Robert Plant, but I remember a song he did a long time ago; the line in the chorus went: "I don't mind, I don't mind".

'Course, just about anything by the Beatles; I really love "I am the Eggman".

My wife really loves "Incident at Neshabur" by Santana

Some great tunes in this thread. I'm not sure I agree with all of them, but great tunes, nonetheless.

I would add:

Tempted - Squeeze

Enjoy the Silence - Depeche Mode

In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel

Melt With You - Modern English

Bizarre Love Triangle - New Order

... and I'm sure there are tons more.

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

(Ralph Torres) plays the occasional gig with his partner John McGill (another really good singer / songwriter www.johnmcgill.com ) as a duo known as "Mostly Harmless".
I checked these guys out and was impressed, to say the least! Great songs.

Oh, another artist I forgot to mention was Ellis Paul.

Ellis Paul - Give In, Give Up

Ellis Paul - Maria's Beautiful Mess

-----------

John\'s Songs

Originally posted by Anderton:

Can you imagine if we took ALL these suggestions and made a monster compilation CD? Now THAT would be cool!

I'm sitting here visualizing the Infomercial

Let's get the Guys from "Who's Line is it "

to do the thing.

;)

Lynn G

This is an impossible task, but among the forgotten are:

Everly Brothers: Wake Up Little Susie, All I Have To Do Is Dream, Bye Bye Love, Cathy's Clown

Smokey Robinson and the Miracles: Shop Around, Tracks of My Tears, Tears of a Clown

Deef

Originally posted by pbognar:

I agree with the people who said that half the Beatle tunes fall into that category - they were a pop band, and even though they could rock, they weren't a rock band.

I agree with ya, Pete, but, mainly in today's context. When they first came out, they were very much a rock band (as defined by the music of the day). And a pop band. And I guess that's what I'm getting at is that, for instance, both Burt Bacharach and Robert Plant can do "pop"...but, you wouldn't classify all of Plant's catalog as "pop". Just kinda interesting to note. I guess in a way, I'd define "pop" in one of those high school algebra "Venn diagrams" as the mutual subset of all (or most) genres of music.

Originally posted by Tedster:

Originally posted by pbognar:

I agree with ya, Pete, but, mainly in today's context. When they first came out, they were very much a rock band (as defined by the music of the day). And a pop band. And I guess that's what I'm getting at is that, for instance, both Burt Bacharach and Robert Plant can do "pop"...but, you wouldn't classify all of Plant's catalog as "pop". Just kinda interesting to note. I guess in a way, I'd define "pop" in one of those high school algebra "Venn diagrams" as the mutual subset of all (or most) genres of music.
Hey Tedster, I think Im falling in love with your guitar.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

Several have mentioned Todd Rundgren; I'd like to plug his band Utopia's self-titled disk (first song on the album is Libertine). Every single song on that album is a pop gem; if I had a good enough voice to do a solo act I'd learn every song on this album for starters. :thu:

And I have to second "Wichita Lineman"!

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Can you imagine if we took ALL these suggestions and made a monster compilation CD?!

It would definitely have to be on DVD to fit on one disc. Off topic, but do you know how many minutes of music fit on one DVD-A?

-----------

John\'s Songs

Originally posted by Botch.:

Several have mentioned Todd Rundgren; I'd like to plug his band Utopia's self-titled disk (first song on the album is Libertine). Every single song on that album is a pop gem; if I had a good enough voice to do a solo act I'd learn every song on this album for starters. :thu:

And I have to second "Wichita Lineman"!

More Rundgren, go back to his first solo release, "Runt"...the medley:

"Baby Let's Swing", "The Last Thing You Said", and "Don't Tie My Hands". The first tune is a tribute to Laura Nyro, done in a rather "Bacharachesque" vein...and it only gets better from there, to culminate with the rocker "Don't Tie My Hands". First listen, you'll want a second, second listen, you'll be singing along uncontrollably, even if you don't know the words.

And Kendrix...yeah, for me, it was love at first sight. Several years ago, I remember Matchless had an amp that had an aqua cover with palm trees on it and I thought, man, that's too cool, like Jimmy Buffett stuck in the 50s. And I thought an aqua sparkle Strat with a pearl pickguard would be the ultimate retro-surf-beach-hotrod cool guitar. The only problem, no one made one. Until I walked into Mars Music and saw one, and I had to have it. They were custom made by Fender for the now-defunct Mars...only 100 were made, 50 red ones (I have to have one of those, too, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to) and 50 teal/aqua ones. The one in my avatar isn't mine, actually, (I got the pic off eBay) but mine is identical.

Now to find one of those Matchless amps (probably impossible).

Can you imagine if we took ALL these suggestions and made a monster compilation CD? Now THAT would be cool!

I was thinking of something similar. Definitely need to bring up this thread the next time I run iTunes shop.

My additions (on the softer side):

Eternal Flame - Bangles

Beautiful - Christina Aguilera

Never My Love - ??? The Associations?

To Sir With Love - ? I forget - a woman's name

Eyes Without a Face - Billy Idol

In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel

Drive - The Cars

Ferry Across the Mercy - Gerry and the Pacemakers, right?

So many more...

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

Archived