Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Headphones and Band Rehearsals

drohm

Do any of you play in bands that use headphones for rehearsals or for home recording sessions? Do you use isolation headphones or other? I recently purchased a pair of GK Ultraphones (very popular with drummers). They work/sound great. We are thinking about getting a pair for each person in the band, but I was wondering what other keyboard players have experience with.

I would be curious what your experience is with headphones in general - i.e., what do you like or dislike.

NS3C, Hammond XK5, Yamaha S7X, Sequential Prophet 6, Yamaha YC73, Roland Jupiter X

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We've gone the headphone route in my Floyd band. The place we rehearse has one of those headphone monitoring systems where you can adjust your own mix. I use my own IEM's when we do that.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Haven't had a rehearsal like that yet. Ironically I hear better and it's quieter at gigs since I went to IEMs compared to a full-on practice with acoustic drums...

I guarantee practices have done far more damage to my hearing than gigs. Though at least with the current band we keep the volume as low as possible. Hasn't always been the case...

Headphone amp setups I've found great for recording. When rehearsing for live, I've found it's better to rehearse the way you expect to play.

E.g. if some people are going to be on IEMs, then rehearse that way. The same is true if you're using stage monitoring.

Otherwise, your first set will be a little rough as everyone struggles to adapt their ears to the new mix.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

• 2 weeks later...
Do any of you play in bands that use headphones for rehearsals or for home recording sessions? Do you use isolation headphones or other?

Our band practices the same way we play: we all use iems. Our drummer uses electronic drum, our guitar player has an Axxe cabinet modeler, and the bass goes direct. It has been the best investment our band has ever made. No more ringing ears, we can clearly hear each other, and we can easily play venues that require lower volumes.

I have the Shure Se215s.... about $100.

Live : Kurzweil PC3K7; Roland A-88

Home : Kurzweil PC3K7; Kurzweil PC88mx; Roland MKS-80/MPG-80; Yamaha A4000; Alesis QSR; Kawai K1; Yamaha S03; Roland PK-5

Archived