Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So many Bands playing with Seq in my area,!

Ensenada Guide

>What I find impressive is a solo performer who will create the backing tracks on the fly with a looper.

I do too but you would be amazed at how many people dislike it. When I said it allowed them to freely solo with chords behind them - they said just solo without chords. Whatever.

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Like anything, it's how often you see it and how creatively it's used that keeps looper acts interesting for you or not. I knew a guy who was a bit of a dick of a human being (unrelated to music) that used the looper pedal for his entire set. So if you came out to see his show you'd see step one - capture a loop, step two capture the next layer, etc. then he'd riff over however many parts he'd layered, or if it was ultimately going to be a tune or a cover etc. The whole set went like that. So, that did it for me. I sort of cringe when I see it now. But that's not to say seeing someone else use it in a cool way wouldn't update my feelings on it. Could it erase that this guy is a dick? Probably not. ;)

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

>What I find impressive is a solo performer who will create the backing tracks on the fly with a looper.

I do too but you would be amazed at how many people dislike it. When I said it allowed them to freely solo with chords behind them - they said just solo without chords. Whatever.

I attended New Directions Cello Festival twice, during my brief time trying to play that beast.

By the 2nd time, there was a bit of a backlash against looper-using cellists. It seems too many had gotten into using looper pedals and had regressed to using them as crutches rather than tools. "Crutch" in the sense that the player got stuck in the habit of laying down "backing tracks" using the looper, then soloing/melody playing on top. There's nothing wrong with that approach, per se, but it's like hearing pianist after pianist play "Minuet in G" the same way, night after night.

The first time I attended, several of the teachers used looper pedals for solo performances. The 2nd time, none of the teachers that year used one - all were solo arrangements of tunes or improvisations.

Bill Frisell has been using a looper for decades. He's still one of the more creative ones out there. It's because he uses the looper to create extra parts to complement his solo guitar arrangements, rather than using the looper to substitute for a solo guitar arrangement.

Btw I took my young daughter to hear One Direction on their last tour. Live band on stage, drums, bass, guitar and keys. It sounded and felt like any rock gig I've been to - they did a great job.

I recently played with a band, the guitar player said his friend handled the lighting and sound for their recent tour. He said "There was not one instrument on stage, and the mics were dead unless they were talking".

On this tour did you physically see them play an instrument? Sounds like just a lip syncing dance review?

Yamaha S90XS, Studiologic VMk-161 Organ

Small/powerful (i7, 32GB, M.2 SSD) PC controlled by 10" Touch Screen

Cantabile, Ravenscroft 275, Keyscape, OPX-II, Omnisphere 2, VB3, Chris Hein Horns, etc.

Better sequences than backing tracks, by far. With sequences, you aren't stuck with whatever recorded ambience effects got used on the recording.

Never used backing tracks in a live event. But the occasional sequence and KARMA with my M3... yes. I like the fact that KARMA changes by adding random sounds/events to a performance, while a sequence or arpeggiator is rather static.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Archived