Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yes!

Delta

Ok, this a shameless plug on my part. I'm a huge Yes fan. I started listening to them in the dark ages of progressive rock. Close To the Edge got me hooked, and that was it. Since then they've had more band members than the London Symphony Orchestra. They've had their ups and downs, but to me, for the most part, they've retained their artistic integrity, which is creating new concepts in music. For the third time, they are Rock and Roll Hall of Fame candidates. I know the hall is kind of a joke, considering who's in, and whose out, but it drives me crazy to see some of my favorites not in there when many one hit wonder clowns were inducted years ago. Look at some of the other candidates for 2017. Janet Jackson? If you care, tap into the hall. You're allowed to pick 5 groups or artists. You can vote once a day through Dec. 5th. My 5 are Journey (they'll get in I'm sure), Steppenwolf (why aren't they already in?), The Cars (should get in), Kraftwerk (a German keyboard based progressive band? Not a chance). Where's the nomination for Tangerine Dream? They'll never get in either. And of course, Yes. I was thrilled last year when Deep Purple finally got in. Let's get Yes in there. They should have been in there 20 years ago. Shameless plug over. Please forgive.
"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I personally don't give a FF about these polls, and never DID, LOL, but I would say that Yes was a very important band in its day, and yes, they had artistic integrity - sometimes a little TOO much, maybe, LOL.

So if I were voting, I'd say they have as much right to be there as anybody. Certainly they could PLAY well, and upped the ante for a lot of up and coming kids.

I have to say DELTA, I'm with ya on this. I'd say Yes has done more to influence and advance ROCK'n'ROLL than MADONNA ever did, and SHE'S in, so why NOT Yes?

BTW; I was hooked from when I first heard "I've Seen All Good People" from "The Yes Album", which was their THIRD and made me and MOST of America late to THAT party!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

While YES wasn't my favorite Prog band, they really did more to bring Prog into the Top 40 than anyone other than ELP, and to this day, you're still more likely to hear Roundabout or Owner Of A Lonely Heart on the radio than Lucky Man.

As far as the RNRHOF nominations, I'm sorry, I really haven't paid much attention. There always seems to be some contention about the choices - "Really, they picked so-and-so over what's-his-face?"

I have no idea how some groups or individuals are nominated or chosen, over others, and I don't care. It doesn't strike me that the process is really based on anything of substance, like musicianship or longevity, nor does it seem to be based on anything as banal, but easy to quantify, as say, album sales? IDK . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I like Yes and the Cars...but, I'll have to vote for Steppenwolf if I have to choose LOL! :cool:

Well, if quality in live performance is a requirement for nomination, then going by MY experience, they'd never get nominated. :cool:

Whitefang

Yes was an excellent band (The only time I ever listened to them was when they first appeared on the scene). Never one of my favorite bands, but as a musician you have to say that they were good at what they did. I don't give a rip about any hall of fame stuff, but good luck to them.

I like Yes and the Cars...but, I'll have to vote for Steppenwolf if I have to choose LOL! :cool:

You vote for your top five. You can vote once a day. I know because I've been voting everyday. I'm friends with the Wolf's founding keyboardist and John wants Steppenwolf to get in.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Oh, sure. I go on a bit about how sucky they were live when I saw them, but I never saw MANY of the ones already in the hall, and I can't say THEY don't deserve to be there, so Steppenwolf, compared to some others with a spot, certainly do deserve consideration.

After all, I never would have GONE to that concert if I didn't like them to begin with, right?

Whitefang

Steppenwolf did a ton of songs but there were really only 3 classics that still get to me and they are: Born To Be Wild, Magic Carpet Ride and The Pusher...so I hope they get in some day. I'll still listen to them even if they don't LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I like Goldy. He was a big influence. You can give him any piece of gear and he will use it in a way that produces the coolest tones the gear is capable of. But I've done double bills with the band know as Steppenwolf and they are pretty much assholes. The whole organization down to the lumpers on the road crew. The old band died after Goldy and Jerry departed. But I still vote for them because Goldy want them to get in.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Steppenwolf did a ton of songs but there were really only 3 classics that still get to me and they are: Born To Be Wild, Magic Carpet Ride and The Pusher...so I hope they get in some day. I'll still listen to them even if they don't LOL! :cool:

Yeah. I'm willing to bet there are a LOT of bands I still listen to REGARDLESS of them being in the HOF or not! :)

Whitefang

• 1 month later...
Thanks Larryz! Just got the good news. I feel very good for the old lads. Very well deserved. Too bad Chris Squire isn't around to savor it. He was one of the best bass players around. How did the Cars not get in? Oh well, we all know it's kind of a joke anyways.
"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

Archived