Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass Rhodes - useful or not?

Ulf

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The low tines make a nice bass sound, and you can of course tweak it with your amp. Do you think you'd enjoy playing left hand bass on a different set of keys? You can tell the bass player to stay home... tell the band leader you'll take his cut for the night as well. ;) Or in your case, tell the keyboard player to stay home, you'll cover bass and keys. ;)

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I used that a lot in the 70s and 80s. Although it was promoted as sounding just like a Precision Bass, in reality is was just the bottom of a Fender Rhodes stage piano with the treble rolled off.

IMO, modern ROMplers have much better bass and never go out of tune. If I really wanted that sound, I'd pull up a Rhodes patch.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Keyscape has an excellent sampled version of one.

Actually bypasses the hardware which I wish all software woould do.

Nothing jacks me off more than a developer giving you the authentic 3i note version of an electro mechanical device using the excuse of wanting to be like the original.

1 octave flutes are especially useless...

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Haven't seen (or heard) it in person yet...

Whoa... definitely try before you buy! My vote is no - retro looks notwithstanding. Your left hand will quickly cramp up from hitting that really hard stiff Rhodes action - a necessity if you want the bass to bite at all.

And even then it's not the good solid low end that most people want today.

Just one man's opinion so FWIW. But don't buy this blind.

I'd say get it if it's a good price. You can always resell it. It will gain in value and if your get it tuned, voices, and have the action done it should be easy to play and sound quite good. The 60's ones are real great for bass as the earlier tines are a bit rounder sounding.
1974 Rhodes, CP70B, Polivoks, Dominion 1, Behringer D, Mother 32, DFAM, MS20 Mini, Folktek Mescaline, Nord Lead 2x, KArp Odyssey, Jv1080, Digitakt, Hydrasynth,

Archived