Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sticky Fingers - not that, no.

Adam Burgess

Piano players...! I asked on Facebook but my 'friends' didn't really help!

So, two days in a row I've played piano in really humid conditions here in the Middle Eastern deserts... (almost outdoors - like lobby/terrace areas with doors open - so a mix of natural humidity and the AC). Yeah, it's bad for the pianos, i know.

Any tricks for stopping my fingers sticking and squeaking? Really slowing me down and slides just don't work.

Finger ends are not sweaty - just seems the humidity makes all the sand outside stick and make them, well, sticky...

In other news, played my new Kronos 2 73 in similar conditions yesterday , and didn't seem so bad. They're all plastics?!?

Thanks for anyone who does this regularly. I'm usually indoors fully AC'd.

Adam

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am reaching memory-wise, but I do believe Stanley Clarke used or uses Mennon Skin Bracer ... and I did a long time ago. Then later I would spray a little "Finger Ease" on my fingers.

But these possible remedies were applied to bass guitar strings.

I also long ago experienced the mystery of nervousnous causing an inexplicable almost glue like substance to show up on my fingers!! Seriously.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I use talc powder on my hands. Put lots on, work it in, then shake off the excess. Makes a big difference.

The only downside is that bringing it to a gig in a plastic baggie can be disruptive. Do not touch your nose ... :cool:

Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos 61, Omnisphere 2, Ableton Live, LaunchKey 25, 2M cables

I just thought of a pianist who wears white gloves... fairly thin fabric... we play outdoors and it can get cold.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I have been dealing with this for a long time. What sticks is sweat from fingertips. Clean your keyboard. I use wet wipes in individual packs. And wash your hands between sets too.

Here for the gear.

I clean my keys with Pledge furniture polish. Spray it on a rag and wipe them down. Cleans the gook off and leaves them slick. I keep it in the equipment case drawer.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Archived