Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Four-Piece Bands are Fun!

drohm

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with the posts that say it's not the number of players, it's the instrumentation and how well the players play with others. Most of the bands I've been in and am in now are 1-guitar bands with keys or sax or both and the best version of my main band had 6 pieces front man vox, guitar/vox, bass/vox, harp/vox, keys/sax, drums. I agree that 2 guitars can be a problem, but if arranged well it works with sonic space for everybody. I say that as a rhythm guitar player in bands as a youngster. There's skill and musical knowledge in playing true rhythm guitar. It's not a 2nd lead or "another guitar", it's a different instrument entirely.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

A bit off-topic, but I was noticing that the middle keyboard in his stack appears to be the infamous voltage-reversed keyboard. He goes to the right to play lower.

Couldn't stop listening to the YouTube queue. Next track, Joe plays hand drum during the drum solo.

My favorite lineup would be 4-piece with no front...mainly because it's just easier on the smallish gigs we play with less people.

My least favorite would be anything with multiple guitar players. I've experienced nothing but hassle with that...from tuning issues to volume issues to lack of sonic space as someone mentioned. If both players were really restrained then it can work--but it's hard to find one restrained guitarist let alone two! :D Our sound guy spent half his time on the rest of the band, the other half on trying to balance the two guitar sounds (plus they both played lead at times).

A couple bands ago there were two guitarists...one played full-on cowboy open chords on every song, just used a capo to change keys (which made him out of tune usually)...the other guy played lead all the time even when their was no lead--he noodled during verses and doubled my keyboard parts on "new year's day", which was the closest thing I had to a "keyboard solo" LOL

I wanted to try a multiple keys band with my friend. He plays rhythm guitar, I'm trying to learn guitar, so it might have been fun to be able to really layer some keys and trade off with some guitar.

it's hard to find one restrained guitarist let alone two!

[video:youtube]

Vince's solo is a lesson in restraint (and taste) we could all learn from.

Now back on topic :laugh:

One of my favorite four piece bands -- John Coltrane, McCoy Tyner, Elvin Jones, and Jimmy Garrison -- accompanying Johnny Hartman. Also, a good lesson in restraint. Assuming I did the math right, McCoy's only 24 on this recording. Such a sensitive, creative, and musical quartet.

[video:youtube]

This thread makes me think back to the few times I've played with another keyboard player in a live gig. Maybe it's been dumb luck, but it's always been a positive experience. For some strange reason, we always understand each other musically, play cooperatively, etc.

Much harder to achieve with guitar types :(

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

the few times I've played with another keyboard player in a live gig. Maybe it's been dumb luck, but it's always been a positive experience. For some strange reason, we always understand each other musically, play cooperatively, etc.

Actually, very true.

Last time I worked with another keyboard player, I kicked off "Walking In Memphis". Four bars in, there's this beautiful breathy pad, mixed very low (but clear as day in my in-ears) - perfect. Later on, he's adding some great organ (Kurzweil PC3) to my piano. Nice guy too - we hit it off straight away.

Cheers, Mike.

Archived