Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

semi-formal attire! Panic ensues

Stokely

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/CEB2/010315boon_zpsc195b9fb.jpg

Always sharp as f**k Mr. Boyd. :D

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...dress shirt &tie (or classy, band-collar dress shirts), jacket, and black denim...

That's me as well.

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

Dittos on the Goodwill shopping...if someone dies in your current size, you just won the lottery.

I'm a 2xlt a shop their shirts a lot; you'd be surprised at the # of finds, even in my size, there are. Check the buttons too. Plus, there is a decent turnover, so go back. Don't forget the other stores like this too.

I also use nylon ? bags for hauling various gear; they usually have a decent selection. These stores are addictive!

I have great sympathy for you. Male formal dress is a veritable minefield booby trapped with all sorts of potentially disastrous colours, shapes and fits.

I hope that you will be able to avoid the extreme dangers posed by lapels

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2723/4323935436_1558d5c6b4.jpg

And the even more potentially damaging, waistcoats...

http://pleated-jeans.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/worstband-9-1.jpg

Good luck! :D

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

This thread just cost me money. I decided it was time for a field trip to my local Goodwill. Found two badass skinny ties, three new shirts, and a pair of good gig pants. That store never disappoints...

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

This thread just cost me money. I decided it was time for a field trip to my local Goodwill. Found two badass skinny ties, three new shirts, and a pair of good gig pants. That store never disappoints...

The majority of my gig shirts are from Goodwill. I scored the paisley that is in my avatar there.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Bwahaha those pics....

Goodwill it must be then. The forum has spoken.

I think my main concern is looking like a manager at a department store (again, nothing wrong with that job, just saying). Our singer mentioned "JC penney has good sales on cheap suits" LOL I'll shoot for Blues Brothers first.

Wow. That's a lot of information here. I'm not much of a fashion guy, but I suppose my daily knocking around town fits semi-formal -- no-iron black or gray Docker-type pants, long-sleeve dress shirt (ideally one of mine that doesn't have cigarette burns on the front -- also, no-iron, and, just to assert my machoness, a few buttons open at the top), belt, and a sport coat. No tie, unless I have to -- I think semi-formal probably includes a tie, as opposed to just "business casual." Slip-on leather loafers -- Doc Martens as it happens, but they're comfortable for walking around in.

Yeah, the sport coat isn't worn by too many people, I guess they think it's "la-ti-dah, look at Mr. Fancy!," but it's really practical -- inside pockets for an open tallboy of Olde English (to pass the time), side pockets for a book/small tablet, pipe+tobacco, and that little breast pocket for glasses and stuff.

Probably dark jeans, some leather shoes, belt, shirt, a tie not necessarily cinched up way tight and jacket is probably just about the most casual and easiest you can get away with.

Advantage is, if you go with a tweed coat, you might troll the local university bars and convince some coeds at a local college bar you're a visiting professor of music or poetry or something and have some fun conversations.

ETA just noticed this

I think my main concern is looking like a manager at a department store (again, nothing wrong with that job, just saying). Our singer mentioned "JC penney has good sales on cheap suits" LOL I'll shoot for Blues Brothers first.

Naw. In my vast experience as....I don't know, just some 40-year old dude, so basically none....you'd really have to work at looking like a total dweeb. Don't want to step on anyone's toes, but half the people you're talking about just have an attitude like they sat on a corncob. If you're comfortable and relaxed, I don't see how the clothes can change that, unless you look like you're trying too hard or or a kid wearing your dad's clothes.

My blues-rock band started doing a Blues Bros. look a while agodark jacket of any style, black pants (jeans work too), white shirt, skinny tie, short brim fedora, shades. Audiences reacted very positively. Then we had to modify because 1) I sweat a ton when I'm playing and can't wear the jacket, 2) some guys don't want to wear a hat for same reason - they get too hot, 3) some of the guys won't wear a tieeither they don't own one or they refuse for reason of comfort while playing, 4) drummer won't wear long sleeve dress shirt cuz he can't play that way, 5) guys won't wear shades cuz they can't see on stage, and more. So now the 4 front guys wear vests and white dress shirts while drummer has short sleeve white shirt, a couple of us wear hats, only 1 guy wears a tie, I wear shades that I can still see with on a dark stage, but we still get compliments on our "look." The point is that if you all look like you dressed to be performing, people accept it as stage clothing and you can get away with almost anything. For instance, if you each wear a different solid color dress shirt, it's more than semi-formal, it's a stage costume. You just need to coordinate with the rest of the band.

On the other hand, if you want to look like you dressed semi-formal, go to Target or Walmart or any other inexpensive department store and pick up a black sport coat/suit jacket for cheap. Also haunt the 2nd hand stores as others suggested. If you get a well-fitting jacket, you can wear almost anything else with it. If you have a white dress shirt and a skinny tie, you're good to go for stage dress.

I do the black vest with white dress shirt and black hat. I have the skinny tie but I'm also doubling on sax so I'm wearing a black neck strap which I've discovered looks like I'm wearing a tie with the shirt open at the collar.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I have been dressing up for gigs for so long that I don't feel right unless I do. One of my Goodwill trips a couple of years ago yielded me what quickly became my favorite tie--a vintage skinny tie by Wemlon that they call a "rockabilly tie." It has a cool color and pattern that everyone always compliments when I wear it. Since then, whenever I come across one by that company, I nab it.

The nice thing about vintage suits is that you can wear them for any kind of gig, without looking like you are headed to a funeral or an insurance meeting. For rock gigs, wear black jeans, cool shoes, loosen the tie and roll up your sleeves. For soul or blues, something closer to the Blues Brothers look. For casuals, a classier shirt and Tim's pocket square.

I am going to wear one of my favorite vintage suits to my divorce hearing on Thursday. I will take some sly internal satisfaction in knowing that I am going to look good. Since it will be the last day for the next decade that I have a penny to spend, this will have to pass as a victory...

www.joshweinstein.com

TMI, oh well...

A few in our band followed my 2¢ and bought, from Wal Mart, I think the brand name is Dickies...a short sleeve work quality ? regular collared black shirt, one size too large, so it hangs fashionably out over jeans, etc. as a "go to" general wear-anywhere shirt. Also have some regular Goodwill long sleeve button up shirts for the bluesy events. Mine is black to not show sweat.

I drive a mini-van to gigs, so I hang mine permanently on the drivers side behind the sliding door, along with a few extra hangers for other crap. I always throw a bag of random colored Tshirts in the back too. In cold months I throw in a few long sleeve Tshirts too. Got all weather covered.

All my Tshirts ^^^ are this new wicking material everyone has brought out last few years; they never show sweat and never wrinkle up if you just throw them normal loosely in a bag. Also, these have gotten very cheap in last few years at Wal Mart, Kohls, etc. stores. About $10. Also, these better material Tshirts are now filtering down into Goodwill stores too, for like $2 each.

On sweaty nights, I have a few bandannas in different colors thrown back there too. Also a few hats, from baseball style to fedora to cowboy.

All the clothing stays in the van all the time. Comforting to know it's there incase stuff happens.

In my minivan, an older Pontiac Montana, I took out all the back area seats except the single middle row bucket right behind the drivers seat by the sliding door. I stack/hang all the stuff there. Leaves me plenty of loading room, or space for the occasional extra passenger, and doesn't block the view.

Ref: sun glasses, being old fart, I need reading glasses now, so I bought a few pairs of bifocal plastic regular wraparound sunglasses with reading glasses in the bottom part. You can get them from about 1.5 ? to 3x power and they just look just like regular glasses from a few feet away. I bought a yellow and a regular light gray pair. Fairly cheap, about $8 a pair at Wal Mart. I can be old and cool at the same time. Well, I would like to think so anyway! hee hee

I'm done. Back to Sunday Night NFL game.

Poked in here and was reminded of this Hugh Prestwood song, one of the best songs ever written imho (especially for it's lyrics).

Be glad for your reason :laugh:

[video:youtube]

Poked in here and was reminded of this Hugh Prestwood song, one of the best songs ever written imho (especially for it's lyrics).

Be glad for your reason :laugh:

[video:youtube]

Wow.

That's elegant songwriting, and sly too. I've never heard of him; most grateful for the introduction.

www.joshweinstein.com

Archived