Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nominations for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's Class of 2017

Doerfler

the list includes Pearl Jam, Tupac Shakur, Depeche Mode, Electric Light Orchestra, Jane's Addiction, Janet Jackson, Journey, the Cars, the Zombies and Yes. The rest of this year's hopefuls are Bad Brains, Chaka Khan, Chic, J. Geils Band, Joan Baez, Joe Tex, Kraftwerk, MC5 and Steppenwolf.

This thread gets people riled up every year. :keys:

:nopity:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldnt p!$$ on that place if it was on fire.

I wouldn't call it a taxi to take it to hell.

Again: no Jethro Tull, Kansas, Bad Company, ELP.

But Tupac, Janet Jackson and Bad Brains get nominations. Lordy.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Dunno why we get wound up by the HoF. While Ahmet's intentions may have purely altruistic at the outset it has morphed to the point where commercial interest come first.

Great for those who are inducted, and induction may help revive the odd career, but meaningless as a measure of the contribution of artists in shaping contemporary music since the 50's.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

It's just a time to celebrate old musicians, from all walks of popular music, those that get their panties tight about it not all being "Rock n Roll" are being silly.

I like all the picks, I don't care about all the accolades but enjoy the show and the music.

I got sucked into this 2 years ago voting for Yes.

I may or may not bother this time, but there is at least a somewhat interesting twist this year.

Since a lot of bands have had multiple members, and different singers etc. this time they are nominating specific lineups.

For Yes it basically the "Union" line up:

Vocals - Jon Anderson

Bass - the late Chris Squire

Drums - Bill Bruford, Alan White

Guitar - Steve Howe, Trevor Rabin

Keyboards - Tony Kaye, Rick Wakeman

I actually agree with this. The current official Yes line up has only two of those people. Anderson Rabin Wakeman are on tour right now and of course have three.

I think an argument could be made for Patrick Moraz being included, he only played on one Yes album but it was an important one.

Others like vocalists Jon Davison, Benoit David and Trevor Horn, and keyboardists like Igor Koroshev, Tom Brislin, Oliver Wakeman and Geof Downes and bassist Billy Sherwood were not part of the band for any of it's important works.

I think other bands will be treated similarly.

Stage: Korg Krome 88.

Home: Korg Kross 61, Yamaha reface CS, Korg SP250, Korg mono/poly Kawai ep 608, Korg m1, Yamaha KX-5

There are still a few bands from the 60's and 70's who should be inducted while most of the members are still alive. If the Dave Clark Five had been inducted a year earlier all original members could have been there. If they had inducted Deep Purple a few years earlier we would have had Jon Lord and maybe Ritchie Blackmore in attendance. One more year can make a big difference with aging classic bands. Currently these bands are mostly intact:

The Zombies. Original guitarist Paul Atkinson passed away many years ago.

The Moody Blues. All the important members are still alive.

Jethro Tull has lost only Glenn Cornick from their classic line-up.

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

I drove past it daily for about 10 years but only went inside once, for a company event. It wasn't too bad. I got to see some of Hunter S. Thompson's Fear and Loathing manuscript, Muddy Waters and Albert Collins' Telecasters and enough stage outfits to realize the majority of classic rock's lead vocalists are short, scrawny dudes.

As for the nominations, I typically remember that there is a nominating committee principally made up of music journalists (several of whom struck me as being both failed musicians and failed writers) with a mix of others. And, given that the whole rock & roll idea was kind of a departure from things that have hall of fame nominating committees, I've never been particularly filled with rage nor elated at any of the nominations nor inductions.

But maybe we'll have a mashup of "Autobahn," "Even Flow" and "Stop the Gunfight" at the concert.

(As an aside, there are quite a few synth heavy artists on that list).

Since Santana has already been inducted, if Journey gets in, Gregg Rolie will be in two R-N-R HOF bands, right? Kinda cool. Has this previously occurred...with a keyboard player?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I have a hard time with someone being that critical of the total history of "Yes". While the later stuff does not move me (i.e. "Owner of a Lonely Heart"), I have listened many times to three early albums (The Yes Album, Fragile, Close to the Edge). I not only enjoy these, but consider them to be special and noteworthy.

I think this is part of larger habit that certain Rock and Roll critics have. I have a copy of the Second Edition (1983) of the "Rolling Stone Record Guide". Its ratings (out of 5 stars) for these three albums were:

The Yes Album - 2 stars

Fragile - 3 stars

Close to the Edge - 3 stars

I heard an interview with Geoff Downes on a Chicago classic rock station driving in to work this morning. When asked about Yes being nominated for the HOF, his immediate reply was something like, "Well, what about Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, or King Crimson, or Jethro Tull? Those guys paved the way for the rest of us." Classy response.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Thanks. I never heard of them but I'm just a farm boy from Illinois.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Dunno why we get wound up by the HoF. While Ahmet's intentions may have purely altruistic at the outset it has morphed to the point where commercial interest come first.

Great for those who are inducted, and induction may help revive the odd career, but meaningless as a measure of the contribution of artists in shaping contemporary music since the 50's.

Don't you mean Jann Wenner of Rolling Stone? I wasn't aware that Ahmet Ertegun was involved.

I've played with members of two of those bands. Does that mean if they get in I am in by default?
Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Ive never heard of bad brain,, but there's alot to like in the list overall. I think some of us make to much of it, resulting in emotions ranging from antipathy to disgust to anger to loathing to despondency. It's just a hall run by certain individuals, ... ain't no thing.

Cars, Journey, Janet, ELO, Yes ... Jane's, J G, ... all interesting artists who made a mark large or small. Still no idea who bad brain is. but what the heck, lets party.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I've played with members of two of those bands. Does that mean if they get in I am in by default?

Seems right to me. at the very least, we can honorably mention your here within KC.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

These guys?

They're prominently featured in the punk documentary, American Hardcore. The dark side of the 80s. A pretty good film, though.

also here. If you have Amazon Prime you can watch for free.

[video:youtube]

:nopity:

Don't you mean Jann Wenner of Rolling Stone? I wasn't aware that Ahmet Ertegun was involved.

"Founder Ahmet Ertegun assembled a team that included attorney Suzan Evans, Rolling Stone magazine editor and publisher Jann S. Wenner, attorney Allen Grubman, and record executives Seymour Stein, Bob Krasnow, and Noreen Woods."

From Wiki

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Now that Deep Purple and Chicago are in, I really don't give a f**k.

The RRHOF is just not cool enough to induct King Crimson.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Archived