Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking for people who are good at playing by ear

robbrown

So I'm making a "piano game" for the web (using the new MidiAccess API) and I need to make a bunch of midi files that are basically the melody, chords and/or bass line for popular songs. Imagine you can play along with a YouTube video, Rock Band style. It doesn't need to sound good standalone, you are always going to be playing on top of the song.

Is anyone here good at that sort of thing? I'd love for you to join me on this project if so. I'm a programmer, and not very good at playing keyboard but particularly not good at playing songs by ear. For what it's worth, I've already demo'd the project publicly (at a Music Tech meetup here in San Francisco), but it will be a month or so before I will do a soft launch, and I need to get a lot of songs in there.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Per Sven's point, I would look for songs that are popular and well known, but in the pubic domain: "Twinkle Twinkle", "Row, Row, Row, Your Boat", etc.

There is still the issue of location public domain MIDI files for said songs, but I'm sure if you search enough you will find them.

I'm also willing to donate my hit song from the 80's "Honk if You're Horny!" to your project. It was climbing it's way to the top of the charts right up until "Thriller" hit the scene.

Anywho, good luck with your project.

Per Sven's point, I would look for songs that are popular and well known, but in the pubic domain: "Twinkle Twinkle", "Row, Row, Row, Your Boat", etc.

There is still the issue of location public domain MIDI files for said songs, but I'm sure if you search enough you will find them.

I'm also willing to donate my hit song from the 80's "Honk if You're Horny!" to your project. It was climbing it's way to the top of the charts right up until "Thriller" hit the scene.

sounds similar to my 80s country near miss "Horn if your honky". Im sill trying to figure what went wrong on that one.

FunMachine.

Peongs, but I'm sure if you search enough you will find them.

sounds similar to my 80s country near miss "Horn if your honky". Im sill trying to figure what went wrong on that one.

I can see what went wrong with your 80's tune. It ran into the ' grammar correction review board'.

if you stated ' you're ' you might be rich and retired by now

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Also, OP: if you're asking professional musicians to transcribe songs and create commercial MIDI files, you'll need to mention what the compensation is to get any real responses. These are the types of things most people here do for a living (rather than for free for strangers). If there isn't any, you'll probably need to post elsewhere.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I better not find out that any of you stole my 1970's smash hit "Horny Honky," or I will get all The Estate of Marvin Gaye on your asses.

I am making gazillions on eBay selling the t-shirt with those words

for some reason, there is a major uptick, XXXL size, orange color

go figure

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I better not find out that any of you stole my 1970's smash hit "Horny Honky," or I will get all The Estate of Marvin Gaye on your asses.

I am making gazillions on eBay selling the t-shirt with those words

for some reason, there is a major uptick, XXXL size, orange color

go figure

Leave Trump out of this, there is a no-politics rule here.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Archived