Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer Analog Drum Machine

DulceLabs.com

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please to elaborate/ :) Do you mean they don't sound like real drums?

They never did !

Everything sounding "like" real drums was already digital ´cause it worked w/ samples,- but today´s physical modelling technology is also digital and even it doesn´t work w/o samples.

That said,- some (if not MANY) physical modelled "engines" work w/ samples as a reference.

But who cares ? When it sounds real, it´s o.k..

But any analogue drum machines from the past never sounded like real drums.

A.C.

They never did !

Everything sounding "like" real drums was already digital ´cause it worked w/ samples,- but today´s physical modelling technology is also digital and even it doesn´t work w/o samples.

That said,- some (if not MANY) physical modelled "engines" work w/ samples as a reference.

But who cares ? When it sounds real, it´s o.k..

But any analogue drum machines from the past never sounded like real drums.

A.C.

Agreed 100%. I actually like blippy and low-fi percussion sounds. Also nice to see another player entering the analog space for both synths and now maybe drum machines. A rising tide lifts all ships....

Hmm, being old enough to remember the original analog drum machines I'm not sure I like what is happening here...

No, the sounds are fine - I really like them, especially some bass drums were really fat and funky. And I guess it is these, the good stuff, that will be recreated.

The bad memories comes from sub-par oscillators that meant tempos changed, depending on weather or whatever, and trying to sync the drums with the tape, a bass sequencer or even an arpeggio was a mess.

I have no problems with emulated, virtualized or even sampled analog stuff - it is so much more usable for s working musician...

Rock bottom bass

Fakebook Pro Sheet Music Reader - at every gig!

Is anyone really doing anything interesting, new or different with this exponential resurgence in "retro" gear? I just can't imagine another drum machine will really offer anything significantly different than what's already out there. Just seems like a market grab. I can't blame the MI companies....they are just vying for the same dollars as everyone else.

I had the same thoughts a couple of weeks ago when I started this thread. I think Dan...err...Dead nailed it.

Funny, I was just going to recommend watching Modulations, then I followed your link and saw I recommended it there! Still recommend it!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

No surprise here - I'm not into the types of music discussed here. However when I hear some of these loops and sounds I can often imagine their use in music that I do like. I have to say that was a fascinating documentary - well worth the time. Thanks for the link. :2thu:

Excellent documentary. Some of the comments in it I could really connect with.

The thing I like about working in the electronic genre is that you can use drum machines and loops and it sounds 100% fine. Same with bass and the other elements as they're all synthesized. So you can get pro results in a home studio. If you're working in a genre where you're trying to emulate a band (drummer, bass players, etc.) using MIDI in a home studio, most of the time at best it's going to sound like a demo.

Analog drum machines aren't a requirement but they fit perfectly when everything else is synthesized. Analog drums just say you're not trying to fool anyone into thinking this is a real drummer.

Busch.

Analog drums just say you're not trying to fool anyone into thinking this is a real drummer.

Well, I´d say the main difference of hardware drum machines vs most DAW drum plugins is the UI concept offering enough dynamic pads, pattern sequencer and song mode.

You work different w/ that (and any pure MIDI pad controller as well) compared to the MIDI mapping layouts across a keyboard controller.

Soundwise, most of the analog drumsounds can be created on (analog) synths as well.

OTOH, I prefer real sounding drums for most pieces of music,- sometimes a mix from real and synthesized drum sounds too.

When you know how to play and arrange drums and use the real sounding quality drum library plugins, I won´t say it´s about fooling the listener.

In fact you ARE the drummer then and often do a better drum track than most real drummers.

There are pro drummers using controllers like ZEN and hi-end sample libraries, or play their drumkit live while the original sound is replaced by samples in the PA and so on.

Lots of post-pro editing anyway in todays recordings, may they be real drums or something else.

You rarely hear in a mix what the musician played at the recording.

It´s all truncated and shuffled around later, sounds replaced and/or processed beyond recognition ... sometimes.

A.C.

Analog drums just say you're not trying to fool anyone into thinking this is a real drummer.

Busch.

That's what I think of them too. I have some drummer friends who I can recruit if I need the sound of real drums. I like the idea of using drum machines to come up with something that is blatantly not human-sounding.

I should check out Modulations. I saw a couple of documentaries on electronic music in the early 2000s - one of them being Better Living Through Chemistry - they were focused on the rave scene.

Archived