Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Montage help needed for todays gig

fjzingo

Hi,

Need of help with the montage, trying to use it as a master keyboard. I can make it function as a master controller for y nord stage clavinets and hammonds. Problem is when I change sounds on the Montage it sends midi on random channels, is there a global setting so I can turn off midi from the sounds using the internal engine? Else I would need to go into every single program to turn off midi out...a bit to much work.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just trying to control clavinet or hammond which was in the Inst B section of my Nord stage set to midi channel 2. Then using the Master zone feature of the Montage controlling that sound. Ok simple to setup but when selecting another Montage sound makes the Nord play receiving sounds from different midichannels.

It turns out, in order to use the Montage Master zone setting you need to select zone for each and every layer of an internal preset sound of the montage to avoid sending on an unwanted channel. For example, the great sounding seattle strings, you need to set this variable 7 times and store the sound in an entirely new memory location.

I really hope there is a workaround here or that I am wrong, but basically I was told over at the Yamahasynth forums that this is how it is.

Any help from you lot?

Unfortunately, the MIDI strangeness in the Montage made me opt out. I wanted to use one as a midi slave; I had a tour with a supplied Yamaha S70 which I wanted to use to trigger the Montage pianos, and use the Montage keyboard for everything else. After reading the manual I decided to take another route... Too bad, it seems to be a great sounding synth.

It really is a fantastic sounding synth, what I don't understand is that they basically hardwired the first 8 channels in two directions.

A guess is that they actually are working on this, probably yamaha in their effort to simplify the performance/sound opted to put only one layer of variables describing the midichannels/channels, then they built the whole controller machine around this. It must be quite easy but tideous to include a new set of sixteen variables used internally separate frome the midichannels. Just a guess :-)

Remember the QS, you got quite a lot for little money at the time. Actually can't remember a synth I had with hardcoded midi.

WRT Montage it's really weird since one of the major selling points is layering of sounds! Just hope yamaha is working hard on making a soulutuin to this.

nuff wining, the Montage sounded great at the gig, havent had a synth with seamless sound changes since my korg wavestation, has a vague memory tha kurz 2600 had this, but to long since I gigged with one. It came to good use when shifting pad sounds to strings. Great fm sounds covering Whithney H sounds to moogish basses. Even sneaked in some acid jazz flute sounds. Seattle strings sounded fantastic. I had made some patches where I used the row of blue buttons to shift sounds quickly, really nice feature meaning you can use one performance/ song.

Archived