Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT Well, here we go again with the cat

As long I'm not within scratching distance. :eek::freak:

I haven't even let myself think about the audio gear yet. I've been working my ass off all day, and perhaps when I slow it down around 9:00 tonight, I'll start to take a look at the mixer and other stuff.

One thing I've found: if you let liquids (pee or otherwise) evaporate before turning on the gear, it has a better chance of living through the mayhem. So I'm not going to do anything for awhile...just mop up any excess (ewwwww! goddamn cat) and let it dry out for awhile (damn cat pee stench disgusting eww eww ewwww). Either way, it'll wait until later, cause I've still got felinocidal thoughts in my head and I might act out my cat-murder fantasy if I see any more damage.

- Jeff

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by daklander:

http://www.daklander.com/pics/catsign.gif

Oh, I forgot about THIS MOVIE!

That'll teach the bugger.

ROTFLMAO :D:D:D:D !!!!!!

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Uh...I can't help but wonder why on earth the cats can access your gear?!

The studio is off limits to those filthy fuckers!

Cat hair is like cigarette smoke, it isn't good for gear. Not to mention, urine.

Right now, I've got 2 indoor, 3 indoor/outdoor, and 4 outdoor cats. (At one time, I had 14 cats total)

I love cats. I'm the cat whisperer.

They love me. Everyone of my cats was a rescue. I'm weak.

My dog causes more trouble than they do.

But they do puke a lot, and leave fur everywhere, and engage in spiteful urination on occasion. Knowing all of this, I've never let them in the same room with my gear.

And btw, he's a cute little fella. Want me to "rescue" him? :eek:

From personal experience (and I've had a LOT of experience with cat urine) siamese cats have the most foul urine of all. :)

And when my cats do engage in spiteful urination, I can actually tell which one did it.

Sick, eh? :D

Uhhhh, how does that phrase go... You're one sick puppy, Stranger. :D The next greatest fad in animalistic behavior .... introducing "Spiteful Urination" (the band) :P ....said in a joking manner ;)

When you're not using the gear, leave sheets of aluminum foil either on top of the gear, or where kitty has to go to access the gear. When they step on it, it makes noise, and this will tend to put them off.

Try another brand of kitty litter, and clean the litter box frequently. The peeing could be a protest about intolerable litter box conditions. A second box might help as well.

Being nice to the creature can help. They really don't have any understanding of being yelled at. You are many times their size and can easily scare them badly. A steady supply of preferred cat food, kitty treats, and affection might help. Has it been to the vet lately? Is it known to be healthy?

But, some cats have it in for you, and you have to keep them out of the area in question... and some cats are just 'only cats' that don't wish to share a house with other cats.

I don't agree with the putting them outside approach, as they are very social and need contact with their people. They are also exposed to the elements, disease, and predators.

There are probably several private cat rescue groups in your area, one of them might take a problem cat for you and get it adopted.

Yeah, I'm a big softie, but my cat doesn't pee on my gear.

My cats lead a life of overpampered softness already. From now on, it's kitty boot camp. As in, my boot on their kitty ass if they even think about an act of spiteful urination or other subversive action.

I'm watching them.

- Jeff

Geez Jeff, I've had, lets see 4 cats now in our many different houses and they all have had access to the studio. They do what ever they do in there. My little siamese is just 6-7 months old and is always in there napping while I jam away. Unfortunately now that your mixer is "scented" nothing you can do will stop that cat from thinking it's a litter box. Boot camp or boot ass whatever. It's been marked. I suggest once you let her dry up, trade-in time man. There was a spray, Umm I think it was that "orange cleaner", apparently cats don't like the smell of it. Maybe use that to dust the studio or at least the console, maybe he/she won't like it.

Later

Bri

Smile if you're not wearin panties.

I've got an orange stub tailed Manx studio cat. He hangs with me when I mix or record and since I include him, he's always cool. Now the white kitty is a different story as she's definately left some urine behind if I leave a sock or anything in the floor. The black manx has a thing for small throw rugs and if you leave a towel on the floor for any reason. Not sure of motive, really.

Very sorry to hear your story Jeff. That would try anyone's patience with their feline. :eek:

Jeff, take the mixer board out and clean it with mild soapy water. Good as new! Just let it dry before you put it back in. I haven't tried that myself, but I've heard that it's the best way to clean other nasties that collect inside guitar amplifiers that have been put in storage for a few years.

Oh, and give the cats to an oriental neighbor. :D

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Originally posted by RandyH:

The peeing could be a protest about intolerable litter box conditions. A second box might help as well.

Yeah, cats don't like sharing boxes.

I took the litter tray away from our kitten, now she uses the garden like my older cat which leads to muddy paw syndrome. You can't win with these animals.

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Originally posted by Jeebus:

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

Anyone want a slightly-used cat? How about a pee-filled mixer? They're both available, cheap.

What kind of cat? What kind of mixer?
One cat: 12 years old, gray and white with a bunch of hair missing from the lower half of its body from a recurring skin irritation. Was found in a dumpster and adopted by me when he was a few weeks old. Has been skittish its whole life and will tend to be seclusionary until he wants food or to destroy your technical belongings.

One mixer: more than 12 years old, and undoubtedly one of the worst 24 channel / 8 bus mixers ever made. Was found in a dumpster (no, wait, that was the cat)- er, was given to me by someone who didn't have the heart to throw it in a dumpster. I use it was a routing tool only. Now full of cat pee.

I still haven't powered up any of the peed-on stuff. I'm waiting until this weekend, when I feel I'm mentally more able to handle it if nothing comes on (or explodes, or turns on but just doesn't work).

Like Bryce says, a nice-sized dog would solve many of these problems immediately.

- Jeff

Jeez...I have three cats; they're all sweeties, behave themselves, have access to the studio, and all my gear works and smells like gear. I must be one lucky SOB. :D

Jeff...you might want to get some kind of cleaner on that mixer ASAP. Last time a cat peed on a piece of my gear (@'95), the urine acid ate through a couple of circuit traces. Pedal was as good as dead.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Like Bryce says, a nice-sized dog would solve many of these problems immediately.

...and they're great to have around the house, are nice to kids, make great security systems (as far as keeping cats at bay and unwanted visitors out of your house), and actually enjoy contact with humans...

...oh yeah - they also usually neither pee into nor throw up on gear. :thu::D

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

How's about when you have the lights off, jamming away in your own little world with the headphones on and the cat jumps up and solo's a channel... Competely cutting off everything you hear. Talk about wake up call in a panic. But I try not to show anything cause I do believe cats are phyco.. They are always taunting us..

;)

Smile if you're not wearin panties.

One mixer: more than 12 years old, and undoubtedly one of the worst 24 channel / 8 bus mixers ever made. Was found in a dumpster (no, wait, that was the cat)- er, was given to me by someone who didn't have the heart to throw it in a dumpster. I use it was a routing tool only. Now full of cat pee.

Your cat is telling you something. You must listen to your cat. You must thank your cat. You must throw out the mixer. Both you and the cat know when a piece of equipment sounds like cat piss, but apparently only one of you is willing to express themself. No doubt if it were a brand new Onyx (which wouldn't exactly break the bank), it would not now be sticky with cat fluid.
Dooby Dooby Doo

Archived