Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What key do believe Happy Birthday to be in?

I-missRichardTee

Speaking of the traditional song

I always criticized a singer in a band who dictated her key for this song. Reason... it's not about a singers perfect range.. but in the most comfortable key for a crowd.

My whole life I found the key of G to be the standard.

Tonight, and older player than me, said Key of C or Bb.

So what is your take on its key?

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Happy Birthday is usually sung in several keys, simultaneously..

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I play this multiple times a year; whenever I'm rehearsing a show and a cast member has a birthday.

I always play it in F. That way the melody sits between C and C; totally accessible to all vocalists. And, it's low enough that show-off sopranos can harmonize on the F or A above on the final note, without hurting my ears too badly.

I play this multiple times a year; whenever I'm rehearsing a show and a cast member has a birthday.

I always play it in F. That way the melody sits between C and C; totally accessible to all vocalists. And, it's low enough that show-off sopranos can harmonize on the F or A above on the final note, without hurting my ears too badly.

This.

IN D for the crowd

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

D, Db or Eb is best range compromise for the average crowd of amateurs. G is not good for an avergae singer's range

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

It was originally written in G, but who on earth uses dots for this? In all my years of performing, all of my peers did it in F and the same for Auld Lang Syne. The only thing that didn't move out of G was the National Anthem (God Save The Queen).

I play it in F and it does seem like it's good range for most people! I'll play it in any key I have to though!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Speaking of the traditional song

I always criticized a singer in a band who dictated her key for this song. Reason... it's not about a singers perfect range.. but in the most comfortable key for a crowd.

My whole life I found the key of G to be the standard.

Tonight, and older player than me, said Key of C or Bb.

So what is your take on its key?

.......for reals?

OK, I'll play. If I sing it then I play it in G....If I'm playing for a chick singer they usually want it in C ish.....unless we're going righty into Sweet Home Alabama.....in that case, C#....

Our guitar player does it in C. I thought it odd when he played it the first time. I would think this would actually be a better key for most female voices.

Before this band, I had only done it in G.

I would rather do the Beatles thing, but we don't.

We play for free. We get paid to set up and tear down.

Funny.. the mish mash of quarter tone eighth tone

But it is actually a phenom of human nature

after the initial multiple key centers well off our 440- 444 A

Don't you find that the key center becomes more defined?

Any who

I have done it in F and Eb

So how many of you think the usually female singers wish to be in her best key, is not as important as a generally good key for most audiences of mixed gender?

I think I will consider F as the maybe better key, than G.

Chords! If any of you play it with a diminished chord... I would substitute a minor chord instead.

In the easiest key

Happy ( G7 )

C// G// G// C//

C// F(#4)F Fm6

C/G / G7 C//

Sorry I cannot do better with the symbols on my mac

Some guitarist have played F# dim where it does not fit.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Im guessing most traditional melodies were originally plinked out on white keys by non accomplished composers. Therefore there is a possibilty that Happy Birthday was first in C maj then transposed into the singers key of choice. If i sing it from memory then go to a guitar i have sitting here it turns out that i start to sing it in exactly the key of A maj. Just a guess.

FunMachine.

The only thing that didn't move out of G was the National Anthem (God Save The Queen).

A fellow keyboardist friend of mine once did a gig in a very uptight and traditional ex-servicemen's club, and at the end of some long speech the guy doing the honours turned to my pal, eyeballed him and said: "We will now sing the National Anthem..."

My friend had a total brain melt and found himself beginning to play...Happy Birthday. He tried to limit the damage (not entirely successfully) by singing along: "Happy birthday....the QUEEN..."

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Happy Birthday is usually sung in several keys, simultaneously..

HAH! In the key of H, as a rule, especially when Aunt Velma chimes in. That woman can peel paint from a boat from 15 miles away. People who sing microtonally should be slapped, Charlie Chaplin style.

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

Happy ( G7 )

C// G// G// C//

C// F(#4)F Fm6

C/G / G7 C//

Wow, don't think the minor iv chord works, as the melody is on the 6th of the scale, major 3rd of that IV chord. People like to hang on to that note, which is why many of us then put the #iv dim 7 chord there for a little more tension before the final cadence.

However niether chord really is correct there, as the next melody note is the 4th step, which doesn't work with the #iv dim. Hmm- I'm gonna leave that IV chord alone.

Archived