Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

POLL: Logic PC Users, What Did You Do?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just sold my copy of Logic 5.x (with PC and Mac authorizations) on eBay for $450!

I transferred the registration, with the ever-helpful Dave at eMagic USA, to the new owner. He is now able to upgrade to Logic 6.x for $199, and this includes authorizations for all the soft synths, convolution 'verb, etc.

I have Sonar 2.X, and I will soon pay to upgrade to 3.x Producer.

I have heard distant, echoey rumors that within about a year, there may be a solution for Logic PC users...

eMapple is selling two Windows Logic versions: Logic Education, and the Hit Kit (both with veeery stripped-down versions of Logic), so we know that despite what they say, eMapple hasn't dropped Windows support entirely.

If the Mac Fairy wants to drop a nice top o' the line G5 Dual Proc on me soon, I would be inclined to get Logic again, but I ain't spending the money now since my PC-based system performs flawlessly.

Still in limbo, I took a crash course PC computer course to help me with building a PC, as I was half way through the course Emagic did their thing. I'm running a P3 1 giger that runs great for what I do, still Logic V5.51. I've goofed with SX2 and Nuendo that a buddy runs. Just can't part with $3K Can. for a Mac when I can spend about a $1K to bring my current system up to snuff. The added Version 6 really doesn't add anything I really need yet. Well Freeze, but I'd figure a P4 2.8 or 3 gigger with 2 gig of ram shouldn't really need it. Once I've pulled all the layers of crap away, Logic 5.5 is rock solid and the move to 6 would involve moving the plugs too. Waves Antares TC B3 yada yada. Sonar Nuendo SX2 seems to almost be up to Logic's midi ability, I'm a midi freak.. So Still a Logic PC user!!! For now

Later

Bri

Smile if you're not wearin panties.

What did I do? Well, I cried a lot. Then I started getting ticked off and ranting on various forums. Then I just accepted it... :D

I still use Logic on rare occasions, but at the moment, I don't even have it loaded on the computer... though the dongle is still sticking out the back. But while I miss Logic (especially for some MIDI things), I find Sonar and PT do everything I really need.

Apple didn't mnake it attractive enough for me to go buy a new Mac, and I've moved on. I'm not bitter... no really. :D

Seriously, I'm not bitter, but I was pretty bummed at the time.

Inquiring minds want to know!
That's true. However when we click the Results button, we're greeted with the following message:

FYI

You must vote in this poll before viewing the results.....

:(

As a Mac guy, I'm not qualified to truthfully vote in this poll.

Craig, do your special moderator privileges allow you modify this function so that those of us who don't vote may view the results?

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

modify this function so that those of us who don't vote may view the results

That would be interesting,but judging from the posts so far it looks like 3-0 in favor of not moving.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Yup- I'm still using Logic- just built an Athlon 2800- based PC using Logic 5 Plat and it's working like a champ. It's an issue of comfort having used Logic since April 2000- ever since I figured out that I gotta use ASIO (!)- it has performed just great and clients could care less if it's not PT- just so they're happy with the mixes. My .02...

Someday maybe a jump to Nuendo will be in order but not today.

Originally posted by Alndln FX-51:

That would be interesting,but judging from the posts so far it looks like 3-0 in favor of not moving.

Craig provided 11 options in his poll, and 14 people responded so far. Personally, I'd like to know more than this 3-0 result. ;)

Best,

Geoff

I still use it on windows.

it does EVERYTHING we need at our studio. when it stops being able to fofill our needs then we will go to another app, Sampletude or Nuendo. I figured the time would have been by now, but, still going strong, and making us $$

Its been nice not having to think about or learn new upgrades and changes or completely new DAW.

Tim Dolbear

De La Bear Music Group

Eclectica Recordings

Eclectica Studios

www.eclecticarecordings.com

www.mixposse.com

"That singer's pitch was a knuckle ball!!!" TD

I'm also still using Logic 5.51 for Windows. As others have stated it does everything I need. I was lusting for the channel EQ when the Logic users group had a group buy for Firium and Equim from Elemental audio. Between that and SIR (free convolution reverb) I'm in good shape for a while.

Steve Chandler

One thing I should probably add (since this wasn't an option in the poll) is that,while I'm using it for Windows now, I'm planning on picking up a G5 and LogicPro later this year. Thus, if you asked this question about 6 months from now, my vote would have switched from 1 to 2 in the list. If the point of the poll is to see if Apple's decision to drop Windows support has shifted folks over to Macs, then, while I'm not there yet, I will eventually fall into the category of one more success for Emapple.

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

Running 5.5 on XP - awaiting a used M-Audio Quattro USB which I got off ebay.

I did buy a cheap B&W Mac G3 to see how Logic would run on there, but I haven't had time to even install the new operating system on there.

I've got a PIII 1ghz, and I fell in love with Emagic when they came out with Notator - I couldn't believe I could edit/enter MIDI events via notation, let alone audio scrubing a chord, moving chordal tones around and hearing your results in real-time (so much so that I bought an Atari 1040 to run it on)

I just like the way Logic is organized.

I haven't decided if I would ever move to the Mac platform or use the last Windows version along with Sonar (which I would consider upgrading to).

Unlike others in this thread, I am really disappointed in Apple's aquisition of Emagic (personally), but as a business move, Apple picked the best...

Pete

Pete

Originally posted by pbognar:

Unlike others in this thread, I am really disappointed in Apple's aquisition of Emagic (personally), but as a business move, Apple picked the best...

Pete

Pete

And then wrecked it.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

Great poll Craig.

I've been a Logic for Windows user since version 2. At the time I moved from Cakewalk 4 or 5 over to Logic.

Right now, I've been experimenting with Sonar 3 and Nuendo 2. Nuendo seems to be an easier transition (many of the key commands are the same by default), but there are some things that I'm really enjoying in Sonar like importing ACID loops.

At work I've used Nuendo a lot for audio, but at home its much more MIDI work.

I guess I need to try to write some music tonight to answer this question. :confused:

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Hey neighbor. John Schauer with Yamaha lives in Chino, we carpool to Buena Park together. :)

With Phil over in Riverside, George Hamilton just moved to Corona, its getting crowded out here. :)

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Originally posted by Anderton:

<

No, I can't. But I can post the results when the topic starts to run out of steam (or votes).

maybe you can still add an option "I'm a mac user.."

Rotshtein Danny - Studio Engineer

Jingles show-reel

Visit DarlingNikkie.com To discover the sounds of "Darling Nikkie"(aka Jade 4U). . . .

New exciting project Goddess of Destruction

Originally posted by Mike Martin:

Hey neighbor. John Schauer with Yamaha lives in Chino, we carpool to Buena Park together. :)

With Phil over in Riverside, George Hamilton just moved to Corona, its getting crowded out here. :)

Don't forget Wewus... at least I think he's still out here - I have not talked to him for a while. :( Then there's also Songrytr, another Riverside guy. And Dak, who lives in Temecula. Hmmm, that's at least seven IE area folks, just off the top of my head. I'm definitely going to have to host a couple of Musicplayer BBQ's this spring / summer. Heck, we may even invite the forum members who live out by the beach and in the LA area... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the poll results as of 3-19-04:

Still using Logic for Windows: 32% (9)

Now use Steinberg Nuendo for PC: 14% (4)

Now use Cakewalk Sonar: 14% (4)

Switched from PC to Mac to use Logic: 11% (3)

Now use Steinberg Cubase SX for PC: 11% (3)

Now use different program (e.g., Reason, Project5, etc.): 7% (2) 

Switched from PC to Mac but use other Mac program: 4% (1)  

Now use Ableton Live for PC: 4% (1)    

Now use Digidesign Pro Tools for PC: 4% (1)

Now use Adobe Audition: 0% (0)  

Now use Raw Material Software Tracktion: 0% (0)

Originally posted by Anderton:

Here are the poll results as of 3-19-04:

Still using Logic for Windows: 32% (9)

Now use Steinberg Nuendo for PC: 14% (4)

Now use Cakewalk Sonar: 14% (4)

Switched from PC to Mac to use Logic: 11% (3)

Now use Steinberg Cubase SX for PC: 11% (3)

Now use different program (e.g., Reason, Project5, etc.): 7% (2) 

Switched from PC to Mac but use other Mac program: 4% (1)  

Now use Ableton Live for PC: 4% (1)    

Now use Digidesign Pro Tools for PC: 4% (1)

Now use Adobe Audition: 0% (0)  

Now use Raw Material Software Tracktion: 0% (0)

Cool. Thanks Craig! :thu:

It was very thoughtful of you to remember and take the time to do that! :cool:

Best,

Geoff

I used Logic PC since version 2.6. I was so mad when that whole thing came down. I kept holding out switching to anything, hoping Apple would change their mind. I tried Cubase SX 1 but found it too limited. After waiting a year, I bought Nuendo 2. I am very happy with the switch now. I miss screen sets, but I like Nuendo better for everything else.

Tom

Archived