Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Leslie tubes

Steve Nathan

Well it looks like I have to replace the power tubes in one of my 122 amps, and I'm out of my spare old Winged C SED 6550s :mad:

There are a few online places that I'm not familiar with that claim to still have matched pairs. The price is of course higher than the last ones I bought but if they're truly NOS, I don't mind paying the premium as long as they're what they say they are.

But in the meantime, I want to ask here for opinions. Murph (the legendary tech) suggested I try JJ KT88s. Anyone use these?

As I've said around here before, I love the old SEDs because I can hit them really hard and the breakup is awesome (Deep Purple awesome), but they never "smear" and the low end always stays nice and tight. The little bit of reading about the JJs (on Guitar forums mostly) makes me think they might be too loose on the bottom for my tastes.

Thoughts? :confused:

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you could try tube depot , great service , decent prices ,as far as output tubes ? , i've heard KT88s are kind of midrangy , i guess it'll work with certain hammonds , don't know about jj's , i tried a jj 12au7 , didn't work , no sparkle , too clear . been using the new reissued tung sols for the output , nice big sound , a little brighter maybe than the electro harmonics , certainly loud .anyway, tubedepot sells matched pairs

I don't know. The in spec plate voltage ceiling on KT88s is so much higher than 6550s I would expect the KTs to sound too clean ..... But man there is no way I can feel comfortable with disagreeing with Murph.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I haven't played the JJ KT88's myself yet, but I really didn't notice much of an increase using Shuguang KT88's, no more than a good set of GE 6550's. (The Shuggies were GT relabels, I really liked the overall tone. Good bass, and the overdrive had a sweet crunch and the overall top end was nice and sweet. Hi-fi guys like the Shuggies...Shuguang-made KT88's were OEM in McIntosh amps last I looked...the MC275 I listened to at Magnolia Hi-Fi had Shuguang finals from the factory...)

TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

Bit the bullet and bought matched quad from a place called

AmplifiedParts. They're reviewed quite well and the guy I talked to was helpful and came off very genuine. Date codes from 2011, and Amazon guarantees the sale so I'm fairly confidant.

I hate the thought of replacing power tubes in my 122, but it's not going to be far off and they will probably need replacing.

I do know that the last "Sovteks" I tried completely changed the sound of the organ. I noticed that they were a lot brighter particularly... not good for me.

A little over a year ago I got a new ( to me) 1965 122, and so far so good with a 1962 B-3. But it seems to be on the edge of breaking up, which some people like. By the way - everyone I have met seems to like something different, have you noticed?

Just about everyone I have done rentals with likes an organ with little or no distortion. I don't rent to rock guys that much, mostly jazzers like Dr. Lonnie, Tony Monaco etc. If I can get away with it I like to bring a pair of Leslie 45's from the late 50's. The jazz guys don't like slow speed anyway. That pair usually does the trick, if there is enough room on the bandstand.

Mate Stump's comments are exactly what I am talking about. As far as distortion goes, it is nice ( for me) to have that as an option rather than a constant thing.

So that is why clones have their purpose , obviously. I miss my Roland VK8m for that by the way. They had the best overdrive s far as I am concerned, and the CV wasn't bad either.

I loaned my VK8m out to a player who I respected but lacked portable gear. It was stolen , and he never bothered to replace it.

Bit the bullet and bought matched quad from a place called

AmplifiedParts. They're reviewed quite well and the guy I talked to was helpful and came off very genuine. Date codes from 2011, and Amazon guarantees the sale so I'm fairly confidant.

Did you buy them out, or did you leave some for the rest of us? :)

Did you buy them out, or did you leave some for the rest of us? smile

They (amplifiedparts.com) still have pretty fair stock left. Mostly 2010-2013. They culled out all the ones from the "questionable" years (2007-9 I think).

Archived