Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kawai MP11 vs CS11

Atim

Apparently the actions on these two keyboards are identical or very similar. There is a huge price difference because the MP11 doesn't have speakers. I'm considering buying the MP11 and adding some good speakers. This would be mainly for home use. Does anyone know approximately what I would have to spend to get a sound as good as or close to the CS11? I realize the CS11 has a soundboard, which you cannot duplicate with speakers, but would the sound be similar if I had good speakers? Or will it end up costing me the same as buying the CS11? I think there is about a 2.5K difference in price. Thanks!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a really popular choice to get an MP11 for the action and USB Midi it to a laptop running the latest and greatest software piano then audio out (with or without an interface) to a pair of good studio monitors. There are lengthy threads on this at pianoworld.com forums. They almost always suggest a desk (4 leg stand) and comfortable seat (piano type bench or drum throne). A music stand and light can't hurt either. But it adds up cost wise when you get into this and it can be unsightly if this is going in your wife's living room.

On the other hand, a CS11 or CA67 is a complete solution. You don't get to custom pick everything, but you turn it on and play, it looks nice, beautiful even... maybe you'll just add a lamp. There's something to be said for the whole package. But, different strokes for different folks.

The sound board is not a deal breaker for me really. It still has traditional speakers, it's not an acoustic instrument. Yamaha has a few transducer models, TransAcoustic they call it. In this case, they add additional sounds to an acoustic piano and use the soundboard to amplify the digital sounds.

Alternatively, Kawai has a VPC-1 controller, no sound engine inside you can go exclusively laptop/software piano route. May be worth considering too.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Hello Atim,

The MP11 and CS11 share some similarities in terms of specifications, however the two models are geared towards rather different segments of the market. As I'm sure you're aware, the MP11 is a stage piano, intended for folks playing live or in the studio who require the most realistic keyboard action, while the CS11 is a console piano in a black polish upright cabinet, and intended for customers who require an all-in-one acoustic piano replacement for the home. Of course, that's not to say that the MP11 cannot be used in the home, or the CS11 in the studio or on stage.

The keyboard actions are very similar, but not quite the same. The MP11 utilises the 'Grand Feel' wooden-key keyboard action, which is considered the best available in a slab-type instrument. The CS11 utilises the newer 'Grand Fee II' keyboard action which features the same long wooden keys as the original GF, along with a number of improvements as explained here.

Both models feature the sound of the Kawai EX concert grand piano, with the CS11 also offering additional new samples of the Shigeru Kawai SK-EX and SK-5 grand pianos. Both models also allow a variety of adjustments to be made to the tonal characteristics of these sounds using the onboard 'Virtual Technician' parameters, with additional ADSR controls available on the MP11. The CS11 provides additional features to improve the quality of the headphone sound, such as a high quality headphone amp and 'Spatial Headphone Sound' system that adjusts the position of the stereo image heard to reduce listening fatigue.

The CS11's soundboard speaker is one of the instrument's unique selling points, and truly gives the impression that the piano is producing the sound organically, rather than simply delivering it through speakers. I expect a good quality 2.1 system connected to the MP11 could sound pretty impressive, but I wonder if it would ever capture that 'from the piano' feeling provided by the CS11.

My recommendation would be to visit a Kawai dealer that has the CS11 (or CA97) and play the piano for a few hours. Ideally, they will also have and MP11 hooked up to some decent monitors for comparison, however in my experience the MP/VPC models tend to be sold by the big-box chains and internet retailers, rather than the acoustic-oriented piano dealers, so you may need to drive to another store to play-test the MP11.

Finally, here's a comparison chart showing the CS11 and MP11 specs side-by-side. The MP11 lacks a number of the more 'home-oriented features' (cabinet, built-in speakers, Lesson Songs, etc.) but is a undoubtedly a very powerful stage piano and MIDI controller - the KawaiMP.com website is probably the best place to read about this particular model in detail.

I hope this helps. If you have any further queries, please let know.

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Hi James,

Thanks for the info. I realize that the two models differ in that one is more for gigging and the other more for the home. But the difference in action seems small and if one can buy a couple of good high end powered speakers and get a similar or even a close result, the savings, coupled with the portability would make the choice seem obvious. You say the soundboard is one of the unique selling points. I've tried many digital pianos including the Yamaha N1 and while the technology is amazing, in some respects they don't come close to an acoustic once you take the headphones off.

I live in Western Canada, Alberta, and the Kawai representation here is very poor. There are two dealers in Calgary who hardly have any inventory and it makes it impossible to compare models. They don't even carry the CS11, VPC1, or MP11. It is such a shame that a manufacturer with great product doesn't have good representation in western Canada. Though I've narrowed it down to a few models, I'm not going to drop thousands of dollars on a product that I haven't tried. I hope Kawai ups their marketing and distribution in Western Canada. I'm sure if they had retailers who committed to stocking their digital pianos the would sell a lot more. Maybe they need to entertain the idea of finding retailers who will commit to supporting Kawai. Otherwise, Yamaha will continue to outsell them...

cheers,

Tom

Hello Tom,

Thank you for your reply and useful feedback.

I will pass your comments on to my colleagues at Kawai America.

If you would like to send me a private message with your email address, I would be happy to request that one of the staff contact you directly regarding digital piano availability in Canada.

Kind regards,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Archived