Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another Kronos question - reverse expression pedal per part

richforman

Tried posting this on the Kronos forum but crickets after a day, have actually gotten more answers and help on my Kronos right over here "at home," so far.

Anyway, I was wondering if there's a way to do this, that anybody can help me with (Kronos 2): I'd like to set up a combi so that when I press the expression pedal, one timbre (a CX3 organ patch) increases in volume as normal, but another timbre in the combi, an EXi lead synth patch ("Stradivarious Synth", but I might swap it out for another patch too), decreases in volume at the same time, you know, to fade the one part out as I keep playing it while swelling the organ in. Is there a way to program it like that in the combi, or maybe at the program level? (that's probably more likely). Thanks very much!

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to do it at the Program level, you can't do it in the Combi.

All modulation values (called AMS sources and levels) can be positive or negative.

Here's a tip for getting smooth volume modulation. Try modulating the Filter Output, not the Amp level. It responds smoother...

:-)

Regards,

Jerry

You have to do it at the Program level, you can't do it in the Combi.

All modulation values (called AMS sources and levels) can be positive or negative.

Here's a tip for getting smooth volume modulation. Try modulating the Filter Output, not the Amp level. It responds smoother...

Regards,

Jerry

You could also use an insert effect such as a mic Preamp. I do that all the time, mostly for crossfading sounds. Assign pedal to wet/dry. The confusing things is sometimes figuring out how to set the gain vs +/- on the wet/dry amount. Experiment a little and you'll figure it out.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Thanks for responding fellas! I am going to go back to this tonight, will try to figure out as much as I can, in the meantime if anybody wants to take pity on my and write up a little step-by-step walkthrough on how to implement your suggestions, I'll be eternally grateful! (Even if not, I still will.)

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Regards,

Jerry

You could also use an insert effect such as a mic Preamp. I do that all the time, mostly for crossfading sounds. Assign pedal to wet/dry. The confusing things is sometimes figuring out how to set the gain vs +/- on the wet/dry amount. Experiment a little and you'll figure it out.

Absolutely - the programmers used to use an EQ, or the Stereo Isolator all the time. By doing it in the Program itself the sound will be more "transportable" in the future. No need to remember that you need an effect for it to work.

To play devil's advocate with myself, by doing it with an effect you don't have to write/save another version of a sound for it to work.

Information is power.

Jerry

I like the combi solution myself; not only because it would save a program slot as you say Jerry, but also because conceptually it's not that I'd always want the sound to behave this way, I just do for this song in this combi. IF I can figure out how to any of it (see my previous post fellas! :) )

Rich Forman

No time for a step-by-step, but here's the concept using an EQ.

Route the sound you want to fade out into an EQ. Set all the bands to full cut.

Set the Mix to all dry. Route the pedal as the AMS source and set it to +100. Now when you press down the pedal the sound will go into the EQ, which cuts it out.

Do the opposite for the sound you want to fade-in. Have the mix all Wet, so it is fully cut. Use the pedal at -100 to fade it to Dry, which brings the sound back in.

So you use 2 Insert effect EQ's.

Jerry

Thanks again - one question as I try to apply this. "Route the pedal as the AMS Source and set it to +100." I've noticed that there seem to be two numbers next to the AMS source assignment, one right next to it, I forget the label for that one, and then a little further to the right there's a field "Intensity." Can you review for me quickly the meaning/relationship between these two numbers? Thanks a million for jumping in Jerry. I'll give it a try and your notes are already very helpful.

Rich Forman

Archived