Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Three Stereo Keyboards

Chilitopper

I'm trying to figure out the best way to send three stereo lines from my key rig to the main mixer. I don't really want to spend $800 on a rack mount 8 channel DI. I could buy 3 stereo DI boxes and spend about $400. Or guess I could get a small mixer for $120, mix my three signals and send one stereo signal.

What do you guys think is the way to go, or do you have another idea?

Thanks

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am very happy with the Ashly LX308b, however....it provides a balanced stereo output and an independent unbalanced mono output. So one or the other gets stereo....not both.

But the OP states that one stereo out, sub-mixed, is an option, no? No mention of what monitoring configuration is required.

I think he wants 3 stereo lines (separate) to send to the FOH. In other words, 3 stereo DI or 6 mono DI.

He doesn't want a submix.

NEVER MIND - I guess he's open to it. The small mixer is a good idea with a stereo DI box.

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

I'm interpreting 3 keys one pair to FOH? Or he's saying he wants 3 pairs to FOH? Or undecided?

If prior...

I'd be inclined to take a look at the Radial Key Largo . Not sure when it's going to ship but I really like Radial's products... some dealers are suggesting its street is $399.99.

Yamaha MG10 is $160 comparatively (MG06 is $100). They're not built like a Radial DI. But will do the job.

If latter,

Eh... why not get a multi channel DI? Surely someone has one for less than $800 - (although I see the Radial JD6 and ProD8 are around there). Behringer DI800 is $119.99. Try it out, if you're happy. Done. If not, send it back.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Neither I or anyone else on this thread knows exactly what the OP's situation is regarding his setup requirements - is the "main mixer" he referenced part of his own band's sound system? Or is it about what to send to a typical club's FOH mixer? I know that most places I play would not be very accommodating if I told them I needed six channels for my keyboard rig. So yea, I suggested a small submixer (but forgot to add the obvious: use a single stereo DI to handle its output). Since most keyboards these days have built-in efx and eq, and most also have a volume knob, you really don't need anything more than what these little mini-mixers offer. Not to mention that three stereo DI boxes are more pieces to shlep and set up, and won't give you even the volume controls that this mini-mixer has.

Or guess I could get a small mixer for $120, mix my three signals and send one stereo signal.

Many of us use small inexpensive mixers to submix our boards. I have a couple of Yamahas and an Ashly LX-308 for when I need a full sized rack.

But everybody makes em...

Moe

---

I'm trying to figure out the best way to send three stereo lines from my key rig to the main mixer. I don't really want to spend $800 on a rack mount 8 channel DI. I could buy 3 stereo DI boxes and spend about $400. Or guess I could get a small mixer for $120, mix my three signals and send one stereo signal.

What do you guys think is the way to go, or do you have another idea?

Thanks

Chilitopper:

First of all, welcome to the forum if no one else has welcomed you - I see this is your 3rd post here.

To answer your question, there are SEVERAL ways to handle your challenge, and a lot of it depends on your budget, how you intend to monitor your rig, and your personal preferences.

Many of us use some sort of line mixer. Prices can run from less than $100 to close to $1000, with all sorts of functions, additional routing options, etc. How robust a mixer you need will depend on what kind of output you want to feed FOH. For example, sending L&R balanced XLR out of the mixer may be convenient, but you won't have ground lift in case of a 60 cycle hum. You'd still need a stereo DI (with ground lift). So an inexpensive 3- to 8-channel mixer and a mid-level stereo DI with ground lift would get you there.

It might also provide a feed to your own monitor rig - but you don't specify whether you're happy using a floor wedge provided by the PA, or if you prefer to monitor yourself through your own keyboard amp or self-powered speaker.

Using a stereo DI for every keyboard can also solve your problem, as long as FOH is comfortable allowing you 6 lines of the board - and is competent to get each keyboard's level set appropriate for each song, your synth solo on that one tune, blending the string pad into the chorus of that ballad, etc. That all depends on your trust in the sound person setting the mix.

I think it's fairly accurate to say many of us prefer to:

1) have control over the relative levels of our individual boards

2) set our own monitor level and mix

3) use our own powered speaker (or IEM system) to do this

4) like to send a stereo output of our aggregate mix of keys to FOH

Which is why many of us use line mixers or slab mixers of some sort to accomplish all this.

Of course there are exceptions, and countless different permutations and ways of getting this done.

The more detail you can provide about your preferences, the more helpful our suggestions might be to you.

Welcome again to the forum.

Tim

Hi,

I had the very same problem. There seems to be no commercial product available which would combine a line mixed and a true transformer based DI box. Hence I made my own device comprising of three stereo input channels, an aux loop, a dedicated monitor out with level control and a transformer coupled DI output with level control and on/off switch.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wuuy6oeq0impzhu/front.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4f0gslsilsrjx1a/side.jpg?dl=0

Maybe not a solution for everyone, but just wonder if there would be a market for this kind of device..

By the way, it seems I'm not able to attach pictures to the posts.. should it work with dropbox?

Jyrki

Nord Stage 3 88, Prophet 6, Moog Voyager OS, Moog Little Phatty TE, Crumar Mojo Classic Suitacase, Kawai US-50 upright, Beltuna Studio 3 and Fantini cassotto accordions

This may be a bit overkill but provides flexibility if you want to have control over your own monitor mix also (which I appreciate you didn't mention) - http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XR12

I use the XR18 and love it. However you need a tablet, laptop or midi controller to control it so if you don't already take these things to a gig then I probably wouldn't go for this option. However if you do then strap a DI to the main outs and thats your submit sorted.

Nord Stage 2EX | Nord Wave | Mainstage 3

K&M Spider Pro | JH Audio JH5 IEMs | Behringer XR18 | Radial Keylargo

Yes,

KeyLargo is an interesting product. But even it doesn't have real transformer based balanced output. Hence if a real DI is looked for, it wont do.

Jyrki

Nord Stage 3 88, Prophet 6, Moog Voyager OS, Moog Little Phatty TE, Crumar Mojo Classic Suitacase, Kawai US-50 upright, Beltuna Studio 3 and Fantini cassotto accordions

Any mixer whose channel inputs are RCA jacks has no business in a keyboard rig.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I think using the mixer is the best way to go. Then you control the levels of the boards and how they are blended together. Let the sound guy worry about the overall mix, not your keys. Most house systems have DI's so you don't even need them.

When we mix from stage with one of my bands, I use a small mixer that sits on a keyboard and send 1/4" outputs, no DI needed as we're 10-15' apart. For my bigger rig that is used mainly for my tribute band I have a 16 channel line mixer and a stereo DI built into my rack.

Either way- I'm controlling the mix of my own sounds.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

easy way, no noise, cheap:

use a rolls pm351 for monitoring, DI, in-ear amplifier

Passive mix left using 10k resistors.

output left synth1 -->[10Kohm]--> input left pm351

output left synth2 -->[10Kohm]--> input left pm351

output left synth3 -->[10Kohm]--> input left pm351

output right synth1 -->[10Kohm]--> input right pm351

output right synth2 -->[10Kohm]--> input right pm351

output right synth3 -->[10Kohm]--> input right pm351

Been using this for a long time and is very stable.

mix the levels via the volume of the synths. I marked them to have 75% levels, so I have some room to boost when needed.

Nord Piano 5-73, Nord Stage 3
Author of QSheets: The fastest lead sheet viewer in the world that also plays Audio Files and send Program Changes!
https://qsheets.eriknie.synology.me/

I have that Rolls mixer too, it's a nice simple piece of gear.

I use a Behringer 6 channel when I'm not using my rack. It has EQ and control room and main outs. I run the main outs to our soundboard and the control room to my speakers.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

KeyLargo is an interesting product. But even it doesn't have real transformer based balanced output. Hence if a real DI is looked for, it wont do.

Please elaborate as to why Key Largo doesn't eliminate the need for a DI. I learned from the Key Largo NAMM 2016 YouTube video that Key Largo has balanced transformer isolated outputs to connect to a PA. Sounds like a DI replacement to me. What am I missing?

Any mixer whose channel inputs are RCA jacks has no business in a keyboard rig.

Do you mean the tascam ?

-> Balanced TRS ins, add. XLR out, internal PSU...

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

I could get a small mixer for $120, mix my three signals and send one stereo signal.

What do you guys think is the way to go

I think this is the way to go. Your soundy will love you forever if you send ONE stereo signal from your rig to FOH, as opposed to three. I often get genuine comments of thanks and relief when I discuss my very simple input requirements (from up to four boards and an iPad) with our engineers.

This will enable you to achieve the four key items Tim mentioned, which I won't reverse over.

Good Morning to all. Sorry to leave you hanging. I asked for advice, went to bed, and woke up to 23 replies. Must be a serious lack of gigs for a Friday night!

I have in ears from the main mixer for monitoring, so I just need something to get my three boards to the main. It sounds like a small mixer with a stereo DI is the way to go. Like a Behringer Xenyx 802 or ? I didn't realize I would need a stereo DI too, but that makes sense for the ground hum. I didn't really want anything rack mounted so the smaller the mixer the better for fitting on a keyboard or close by.

So a small $100 mixer and a $150 stereo DI should do it. Many thanks to all.

It sounds like a small mixer with a stereo DI is the way to go.

The stereo DI is essential, but you may not need to provide it yourself. Just about every gig I've ever done the soundy provides the DI - of course I let them know in advance I need it. I do carry one around but it's strictly a backup.

I never want to put my keyboard submix in the hands of someone else. I always send the FOH a single channel feed unless I'm playing a Leslie.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I currently use 2 small mixers.

1) Samson SM10. - this has done well.

2) Yamaha MG06 - I wish I had not cheaped out and would have go the AG06 instead.

IMO the Samson has features that would better benefit you needs.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Archived