Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Project - 4 piece Rock Band.

CEB

Been a longtime since I've done a pure 4 piece. Technically the Pop "BAND" is four piece but after the vocalists, rapper and dancers it gets ridiculous.

I forgot how efficient fewer heads could be. Not sure if the harmony vocals will be good enough but we can play. We could add a 5th but right now we really like keeping it to 4. Way less chat and more splat.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't have any yet but I think the guitar player recorded the first rehearsal. The bassist is from my Pop band. The Pop band wants to slow down a lot. The bassist and I are like fuck that we want to work.

I worked with the drummer before. He plays a Roland electronic kit. I run direct and use in ears. The bassist has a Radial version of a Sans Amp and uses in ears. The only stage noise are the guitar amps which are reasonably managed and the guitarist and drummers wedges. It makes rehearsal pretty nice.

Four-piece is a great configuration if least three of you, preferably all four, are strong singers for lead and backgrounds. You can play smaller places more comfortably, undersell your five-and-six-piece competition and still take home reasonable $$ per man. Those vocal-only lead-singer types need us more than we need them! :) (Well, not really, they can just as easily go with all tracks and get rid of us completely, but then at least I guess we can fight back somewhat!)

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Been a longtime since I've done a pure 4 piece. Technically the Pop "BAND" is four piece but after the vocalists, rapper and dancers it gets ridiculous.

I forgot how efficient fewer heads could be. Not sure if the harmony vocals will be good enough but we can play. We could add a 5th but right now we really like keeping it to 4. Way less chat and more splat.

Rig? :D

Rig,

Probably...

Kronos 2-88

Hammond XK3c - Mini Vent

Samson Line Mixer.

----------

Guitar Player plays Mostly Stats and a Tele so I will probably play Humbuckers through a 50 watt Boogie 112 combo with a Kendrick Attenuator. This is my current pedals if you follow guitar. Pretty generic stuff.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/CEB2/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsmhuppfzu.jpeg

4-piece is a good lineup - I was in a southern rock band a while ago that worked well. Only problem was I had the highest voice of our 3 singers, so I ended up with all the really, near-unreachable high harmony parts...

+1 for the four piece. My favorite configuration. For some reason I always think of it as guitar, bass, drums and keyboards in that order. You'd think I'd show more esprit de corps and list the keys first. Go figure.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Cool, CEB! My main band is five-piece, but there are dates when our sax man is not available so we go four-piece. While I really miss his musical contribution (monster player) and overall prefer the band with him in it, the four-piece dates require the rest of us to "up our game" which I enjoy, as well.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Since getting back into playing in a band in 2009, I've been in two four piece bands. The second one has been at it for about 4 years (part time, hobby, but care about the music). I really enjoy it as everyone has to step up their game, and it provides the most music for the minimal # of musicians. The fewer people in a band, the easier to schedule gigs (fewer people with scheduling issues), less potentials for conflict (fewer personalities). Better if everyone is vocally strong but you can get pretty far with one person singing lead on most tunes as long as others can provide backing vocals. Enjoy!!!!

Korg CX-3 (vintage), Casio Privia PX-5S, Lester K, Behringer Powerplay P2, Shure 215s

http://www.hackjammers.com

My Pink Floyd (PinkFreud) is a 4 piece, with an additional vocalist. I know all the other bands go with the expanded lineups, but that version of the band and its presentation were never that interesting to me. FLAWLESS...but less interesting. With 4 pieces....we get to do stuff!

Especially where improv is concerned, that hive mentality is a must, and the more nuts in the basket, the more difficult that can be.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

It's always been 4 pieces for me. ONE guitar is enough. My improv band Zillaphyst is better: No guitars! :D three piece, with drums and bass.

So Taco Hat (my elusive jamband) finally saw the light of day here in New Mexico. I took all the obstacles (scheduling for rehearsals, songwriting sessions)out of the equation and reduced to it to the essential: pure jam, start to finish. It's been amazing to me that anyone is even interested in it, but people have been coming out!

So four or less pieces musically! :D

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

My band is a configured as a quintet including a saxophonist. But, it functions equally well as a quartet. In fact, we may be rolling as a 4 piece on a huge gig next month.

In my old age, I prefer a lean and lethal unit i.e. quintet or less. Plus there is more cheddar per person. :D

CEB, have a blast with the new band.:thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

My party/dance band is 4 piece plus a vocalist. The drummer and I sing all the backups, which is somewhat limiting but we pick tunes that fit our instrumentation and vocal abilities.

Most of the blues combos I freelance with are 4 piece as well.

My hippy band is 5 piece, 2 guitars, keys, bass, drums. We also use a hand percussion player a lot, so I guess it's more like 6 people.

The floyd tribute is the big one, 10 of us with a lead singer who also plays some guitar, 2 guitar players, keys, bass, drums, sax and 3 female singers. It's the opposite of Tony's project- we try to capture things as close as we can and there is little in the way of improv, aside of when I'm comping behind a verse or guitar solo. Doing it with big production is what gets you out of bars and into theaters and other venues that can pay the good money though, and that was our goal all along. This band has actually never done a bar gig.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Another +1 here on the 4 piece. There's so much more musical room in this configuration, and there's enough space to hear everyone. You also can fit on really small stages.

Playing behind a single guitarist/vocalist taught me how to comp for 128 measures behind a never-ending guitar solo and keep it somewhat interesting.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

i dig the 4 piece; it gives me more room. with 2 guitars in the band, key solos are limited.

With your band for sure, 2 good lead guys. With Montana and 1 guy playing pretty much nothing but rhythm, it's wide open.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

That's why I particularly like playing in "Herbie-mania" (Me, Herbie, Boan and Mark Wells.) It's all 70's rock that we don't play in Dyin Breed and I get alot of room to play. Alot of it is pulled out of the ass and I really have to stay on my toes, Herbie will pull out shit I haven't played in 25 years; makes it a challenge being on the spot but lots of fun at the same time when it comes off pretty decently.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

There are four seasons - nobody has ever wished for a fifth...

My jazz band goes out most frequently as a 4 piece - and I also love this setup. Drums, bass Key & sax. Perfect. :) Good luck with your project CEB.

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

In classic rock, a 5 piece sounds much more complete. Yes, there are always exceptions, but I'm talking about the rule.

Drums, keys, bass, 2 guitars can do about any song...if the 2nd guitar player can play sax too, you really have a great group.

Better harmonies almost assured. I wonder what the % is of 5 pc vs. 4 pc for a non-background music band is?

I haven't played in a cover band for a couple of decades, but in the 80s & 90s I made most of my living that way. I must say that the 4 piece (GTR, Bass, Keys Drums) were the most satisfying & lucrative. Rhythm guitarists tended to be frustrated lead players, throwing in licks that only cluttered up the arrangements, and usually seemed to feel they had to always be playing in order to justify their inclusion in the bands.

In 4 piece situations, I could comfortably cover essential rhythm gtr parts on Clav or Wurli, and had no problem getting out of the way if nothing else was necessary. On the few songs that had both essential key parts and rhythm guitar, I might alternate, or we'd make a judgement call on which was more important. The audience never seemed to notice anything missing.

Archived