Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Double Top Secret: Arturia DrumBrute

DulceLabs.com

http://musician.ua/uploads/desc/arturia/DrumBrute/musician.ua_arturia_drumbrute_2.jpg

MAIN FEATURES

> Seventeen pure analog drum sounds

. Kick 1, kick 2, snare, clap, hihat 1, hi hat 2, conga hi, conga lo, tom hi, tom lo, maracas, rimshot, clave, tambourine, cymbal, reverse cymbal, zap.

> Wide-range of controls allowing for many new and

unique sounds.

.Two different flavors of kick drums

. Our unique analog Reverse Cymbal

> 64 patterns with up to 64 steps each

> Separate accent per drum

> Step Repeat for creating looping glitch effects

> Song mode for chaining patterns

> Pattern effects:

. Swing & randomness that can be global or per instrument

. Pattern Looper for beat repeat functions

> Steiner Parker output filter with bypass (high pass & low pass)

> Multiple sync options (Internal, USB, MIDI, Clock)

. Four different clock format

> Twelve individual audio outputs

> Headphone output with both 3.5mm and ¼ jacks

> Create polyrhythms

. Each drum track can be of separate length

CLINKITY CLONK CLONK!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well said Dave. :2thu:

11 674,00 RPH looks like $450 .... so a little more than the Minibrute.

Double the price of a Volca and a quarter the price of a DSI Tempest. I like the individual outs, but it's not my workflow so ....

I saw this a couple of days ago at some other site -- maybe GS. It took me totally by surprise, but I've been working crazy so maybe there were some rumours and I missed them. It seems strange that they waited until right after AES and a few other shows.

At any rate, I am blown away by the two videos I watched the other night, both of which are linked above. Forget the posing; the audio itself sounds fantastic -- possibly the best of any drum machine since the TR-808 or CR-78.

The price I saw was $499, but I'm not sure if that was meant to be street price. Seems a great value at that price, even if one needs to buy a gig bag for it.

Feature-wise, it reminds me a bit of the Yamaha RX5 that I owned for awhile. I also like that it has individual outs, as that is a time-saver since I always record drum parts separately so that I can do my mixing later in my DAW. Not having to linearly deal with each kit piece one by one cuts the recording time by up to 90% or more.

The only, and literally only, question for me is whether I want an analog drum machine. I've been moving over more to BFD even on my synth-oriented songs, and the plug-in version of Waldorf Attack seems to cover my bases otherwise. So once I finish with the three or four albums I am trying to polish up this month, I'll have a better picture of my future tendency to use analog drum machines vs. acoustic drum samples.

Ergonomically, this looks to be the king of drum machines, and that Brute filter that I dislike so much in the synths seems to have found its proper place amongst synth drum sounds, just as FM technology really hit its stride with chromatic percussion.

It's funny that this came out just as I've been pondering selling my SparkLE, due to the aforementioned reason of moving away from artificial drum sounds.

Considering I had bought all the expansion libraries to the previous plug-in version, and then the hardware for version 2, I invested a lot in the Spark ecosystem over time. But DrumBrute really doesn't bear any resemblance; they are complementary, if anything.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

So I was lucky enough to lay my hands on this little beast today, and I gotta say... I'm impressed. Typical Arturia build quality - nice and solid, great wood end caps, great knobs, nice pads... dead easy to figure out 90% of the features, and some cool stuff hidden for the 10% remaining... 12 discrete outputs to separately process each instrument, polyrhythm is dead easy (and a hell of a lot of fun) to work with, nice filter on the output, stutter/loop abilities... I was sad when it was taken away.

This one's definitely on my Christmas list. :cool :2thu:

Sven, great to hear -- especially as knob quality has sometimes been a criticism on Arturia products. The comments about polyrhythm have me more interested again; the last machine I had that did that well was the Yamaha QX7 sequencer (the BIG one, which I only sold as its exported MIDI couldn't be used properly by Digital Performer and so it didn't pan out in overall workflow).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• 4 weeks later...

Kraft Music has it on pre-order for $450 with a nice Gator bag:

http://www.kraftmusic.com/arturia-drumbrute-analog-drum-machine-carry-bag-kit.html

They have other package deals as well, but that one makes the most sense as bang-for-buck and specific to the gear at hand (buying gig bags can get pricey when done a la carte -- especially with shipping).

I won't be getting it myself, as I have definitely decided that I am "done" with artificial drum sounds, except for some very specific ones that would just be used rarely for an accent here and there.

Maybe I'll come back around. After all, I got sick of those sounds by the late 80's and it was another 15 years before I liked them again. :-)

Archived