Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sick Midimini

Gary75

So I'm attempting to calibrate with the shift and scale but no matter how much I try, I get one end in tune, the other end is out and not able to bring it back in. Alongside that Osc 3 is not pitching no matter what note I hit on midi controller. Other two oscillators are pitching fine albeit out of tune. It's a long time since I had an analog synth and its requiring some thinking. I'm just wondering if there is a problem beyond tuning. Especially seeing as Osc 3 is not responding to pitch change request from controller.

Of course it doesn't help that I only have a Minimoog manual to go off. I wish I had the SE manual for it.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know if this applies to your particular synth, but it used to be that most oscillators had 2 trim pots to scale them - a main trimmer, and one for just high frequencies.

You would trim from the main pot at midrange frequencies to get it close, then adjust the high track to make it track on the high end. Then rinse and repeat.

Moe

---

So I'm attempting to calibrate with the shift and scale but no matter how much I try, I get one end in tune, the other end is out and not able to bring it back in.

It's difficult to advise without knowing what SE's procedure is. Have you tried to contact them? I'm not sure how much deviation there is from a standard minimoog but when you mention "shift and scale" do you mean "range" and scale? Most calibrations start by adjusting the range trimmer of a particular oscillator and then scaling it across the octaves as I believe Moe was getting at.

Actually, first step is checking your power rails which I assume you did?

Don't know if this applies to your particular synth, but it used to be that most oscillators had 2 trim pots to scale them - a main trimmer, and one for just high frequencies.

You would trim from the main pot at midrange frequencies to get it close, then adjust the high track to make it track on the high end. Then rinse and repeat.

Three actually... range, scale, high end.

The Minimoog has a "gotcha" - the octave switch, if not calibrated properly, can throw off oscillator calibration. The important step that the Minimoog manual leaves out is you have to put the VCO in 2' octave position - this nulls out the octave calibration.

Once you adjust range and scale within a 3-4 octave range, then adjust the high track. Since high track interacts with range and/or scale, you have to re-adjust them.

THEN you throw the octave switch into a lower setting and adjust the octave calibration.

This is a post I put on AH a long time ago for the 3046 based Minimoog VCO, but may be close to the MIDIMini.

Thank you guys for the information, I shall follow that procedure. I believe the Midimini is cloned from later OSC Minimoog boards. There are Shift and Range trimmers inside. There is on the rear panel Octave holes but no trimmers inside, same goes for the Osc Hi, panel holes but no trimmers behind it. As you can see here

[video:youtube]WcSbeB8h1Qs

The Osc 3 issue is heard here.

[video:youtube]j-6BYifUKZo

Archived