Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Possible New Guitar

CEB

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/el-guitars/pacifica/pacifica611vfm/

I played the guitar yesterday. The dealer called and it was in. It sounded nice on cleans. The guitar was pretty much straight out of the box. The dealer did a quick intonation set on it and that was it.

The finish is dark red burst. The fretboard is a nice thick piece of rosewood. The neck feels real good towards the nut but it seem to get bigger towards the neck pocket. There is very little crown. I would get used to all of this very quickly.

But the guitar doesn't stay in tune. I think it is mostly string stretch and nut binding. A guy that works there checked it out then broke a string yanking on them trying to stretch the strings. LOL. What I usually do is when I put on strings is to tune everything sharp that way you stretch the entire length of the string.

I had a rehearsal yesterday and had very little time to mess with it. I think if they set it up and stretch the strings it will be OK. I told the dealer to setup it up with 9-42s and call me when it is ready. I will be in Friday to check it out. It's an Indonesian guitar. I thought it would have been a Japanese guitar. The electronics seemed good on it. I will try it out on Friday and see what it does. If it doesn't work out I will take my 87 Ibanez off eBay. It is probably the better guitar. I just didn't want to mess with the Floyd licensed Edge tremolo anymore and wanted a guitar that wasn't florescent glow in the dark pink. (officially Road Flare Red but it looks pink to me).

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking good CEB! Hope it works out for you. I like the push/pull on the bridge HB pup for going single(s). The Grover locking tuners should keep things in tune once the strings stretch in. I tune low to high when I 1st put the strings on and after that I always tune high to low (twice) and just let the tuning stretch the strings in. It usually only takes a couple of days for them to stretch in as the high E B & G stretch each time as they take tension off the neck (but not on the initial tuning or you'll break the E and/or B LOL!). Keep us posted! :cool:

ps. I'll bet Caevan will recommend some nut lube! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Hopefully the bridge humbucker is splittable, to get the single coil vibe the guitar is obviously intended to evoke.

. . . wanted a guitar that wasn't florescent glow in the dark pink. (officially Road Flare Red but it looks pink to me).

Maybe it's salmon. I had a sweater in high school, the color of which several friends referred to dismissively as pink. Whenever they passed me in the hall they'd mutter "pink", & I'd yell back "SALMON!"

Scott Fraser

Yes the Bridge pickup splits nicely. I like the electronics.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Wammies and tuning problems are close cousins. Especialy fresh out of the box. Put a little wd40 on a rag and just lightly dust it on the strings and hardware. Then play it like you are woodshedding for about 20 hours over the course of a couple weeks. If it doesnt settle in from there hang it on the wall.

FunMachine.

Archived