Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Windows Media Player won't play .ram file

When I try to play a .ram audio file, it says "Windows Media Player doesn't recognize the file format" or something like that. Winamp might would play it? But it defaults to Windows Media Player. XPHome

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...and when you do, right-click on one of the RAM files and select Properties. Then in the "Opens with" field, click on Change and select the program you want to use to open it, which would be the Real player.

BTW there is a free Real player but you have to look for it on their site. They want you to spend the bucks for the deluxe version with content and stuff.

realplayer will take over nearly all media file types on your computer, even ones it cannot play. this is a real pain, and you have to first manually unselect each file type within realplayer, THEN go around and do what craig said for all the file types because they will still be set to realplayer.

its not worth it.

realplayer is an abonination.

I will concur with CoasterLungs...

Real Player is teh hard sux.

It infects the computer like a disease, blows ads at you and eats up a lot of resources in the background.

Real Player used to be badass back in the day, but the company has stopped doing cool stuff and started doing dumb stuff.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Although I hate Real Player too,Iv'e installed it on my net machine and made sure everything was disabled during installation.NO TO EVERYTHING!!!!!It's now transparent and behaves and I only use it when needed.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

The newer versions of Real Player are awful. Like everyone else says, it takes over everything.

I'm still using version 8. It doesn't associate every file to itself, and it's easy to disable the real agent that is always resident in memory.

Download earlier versions here:

http://forms.real.com/real/player/blackjack.html

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

there are numurous reasons why an .avi wont play, usually codec related.

if your on windows, try to open the .avi with G-spot it will attempt to fins out what codec the audio and video was encoded with. when G-spot cannot figure this out, usually the .avi is broken.

you may find you need to isntall Divx5, or other codecs.

VLC player will play almost anything in OSX, windows is a little less forgiving until you get the correct codecs.

unfortunately, no one tells you what the hell your supposed to do. your kind of on your own in the avi-codec world.

Originally posted by Mats Olsson.:

I have problems playing .avi files, any suggestions on what/how to fix that problem?

/Mats

Yeah. The best/easiest fix for this is DivX .

MAKE SURE you ONLY install the codec and NOT the player. The player now includes SpyWare. (Gain) :mad:

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

Originally posted by Mats Olsson.:

I have problems playing .avi files, any suggestions on what/how to fix that problem?

/Mats

Download and install DivX first,then for any future incompatibilities just try and open the file while online and the Media Player will automatically download the needed codecs.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Archived