Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Don Grolnick

Outkaster

Don Grolnick has never been mentioned to me before but he worked with a ton of people and JD Souther who was a writer with the Eagles. Someone gave me this song and wondered if it was Roy Bittan and I can see why. When I looked him up I found out he was from the Tri-State area in Brooklyn so I could see why people would think that just the way it sounds. I would play this song like just like this with the call and answer parts:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKt0BQAu4tk

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw a lot of jazz shows in NYC back in the 80s with Don in the band... Lots of "one-off" type gigs, like a brief reunion of the Brecker Brothers, the band "Stuff" where he would step in for Richard Tee now and then; backing up David Sanborn... etc.

IMHO his biggest achievement was his work with Steps Ahead, before the debut album came out where he was replaced by Eliane Elias. He wrote the opening song of the album "Pools"... great tune!

He died way too young... at 48. RIP Don.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

Funny Thing.... when I was a teen and learning new songs, one of them was Living In The USA by Linda Ronstadt. I never realized until a couple of years ago that it was Don Grolnick who did the sessions for that album. It made perfect sense because Peter Asher produced it! Thus his connection with James Taylor as his long time Music Director and Pianist/Keyboardist.

By the way - if anyone has a transcription to his parts in that song, please let me know. I've been trying to decipher it for awhile. It seems simple like straight out rock n' roll... but the parts are a little intricate in the solo.

I tried to slow it down - but the recording didn't translate well at a slower speed.

~ Thanks,

Anthony

Every now and then (that's the problem), we play Steps material and specifically from Smoking in the pit. Tall order to play that stuff only once a year and be able to execute it. Of course the vibes player is all over it and BTW he plays the you know what out of the drums too! I'm the weakest part of that band.... but it's fun.

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

Yes, Don was a superb composer and arranger.

One of my favorites is "Nothing Personal".

Here is a 1987 super hard swinging version with Mike Brecker (1:04), Mike Stern (5:17) & Joey Calderazzo (9:29):

[video:youtube]

And his last album (Latin Jazz) Medianoche:

[video:youtube]

Pools and the Steps Ahead album is what made me want to play other stuff than "just" standards and bebop.

Another favorite of mine is The Cost of Living which I later heard M. Breckers band play live in Copenhagen. According to Michael that evening, the band initially found the melody so immensely sad that the only title they could come up with was Death - which of course could not work. Eventually they settled on The Cost of Living. I remember transcribing it as best I could from a cassette recording, but unfortunately I never found a saxophone player who wanted to play the melody. I am not sure why, really.

Regards, Morten

Hey was able to play 3 or 4 styles pretty easily. 80% of keyboard players/pianists usually can't that I see. That's impressive.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Pools is one tune I really miss playing. It was a staple in the last "real" band I was in 10 years ago. That band was together for quite a while, had good players and we got to rehearse a few times a month. Pools required a lot of rehearsal and it put a lot of pressure on the stand up bass player.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Archived