Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!

whitefang

You don't see many (IF any) concerts like that anymore. Most keep "genre specific" or "label-centric".

Like, the FIRST time I saw The Mahavishnu Orchestra they opened for Emerson, Lake and Palmer. After the Eagles opened for them, I next saw Mahavishnu with JO JO GUNNE opening for them.

The NEXT time, Mahavishnu opened for FRANK ZAPPA!

After THAT, it got sort of "genre specific" with JAN HAMMER opening for MAHAVISHNU and then later, McLaughlin's SHAKTI opened for WEATHER REPORT.

I only saw The Eagles twice. The first time you know about already. The SECOND time I saw them, they opened for YES.

See what I mean?

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Eagles would be the group I would want to see and would prefer just to skip the others and go to their own show LOL! This reminds me of a time my buddy had two tickets to go see Alabama and I turned him down as I didn't like fighting the crowds and even though I liked Alabama, I didn't really care if I saw them or not. He finally talked me into going as he didn't want to waste a ticket and his other buds and his wife were booked elsewhere. So, feeling sorry for him I said OK and went...Long story short, the opening band was The Charlie Daniels Band...Surprise! One of my all time favorites and I had a great time! :laugh:
Take care, Larryz

I told this one before. I had an ALMOST similar thing happen before.....

A buddy of mine called and asked if I wanted to go to a Black Sabbath concert since he had an extra ticket and his wife didn't want to go because she didn't like them. I didn't either, so I declined. Found out next day that YES was on the same bill! I was( and kinda still am) BIG on Yes and kicked myself for WEEKS!

My buddy couldn't understand it. Said Yes opened and after THEY went off, most of the audience LEFT. :D

Whitefang

@ Fang, I'm sure there are a lot of stories about the opening acts surpassing the main headliners. This topic could be worthy of it's own thread LOL! But it is unusual in your account and in mine when a main attraction band like Charlie Daniels or Yes is the opening act and no one knows about it! I mean, it wasn't in the advertising radio news, on the program flyers, on the tickets, etc., and wow, what a surprise! Back in the day just about all of the concert posters had the accompanying acts on them and listed many of the future stars to be, that were starting out as a warm up band... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Yeah, that's what bugged me about that Sabbath concert. The radio ad only mentioned Sabbath, and I never caught the newspaper ad that might have informed me.

But, returning this thread to the BIRTHDAY thread.....

PAUL SIMON is 75 today. the tune "ANGI" on S&G's "Sounds of Silence" LP proved he's also a damned fine guitarist as well as a premier songwriter.("Anji" though, was written by English jazz/blues guitarist Davy Graham)

I'm of the opinion that while he wrote some excellent tunes while a solo act, his compositions while teamed with Art were a bit better. But there's no denying he well deserved that Library of Congress GERSHWIN PRIZE.

Whitefang

The DECADES TV channel did a short profile of him. I thought that the "WEDNSDAY MORNING:3A.M." LP was his and Art's first recording, but discovered he, both with Art AND without recorded some very minor singles since 1957. Yeah, and of course the whole "Tom and Jerry" thing.

It was a kick seeing some of them old photos of him and Art back then. :D

Whitefang

He definitely has a "short profile" LOL! Especially when standing next to Art. He also has a great sense of humor...I loved it when he came out on the Thanksgiving week of Saturday Night Live dressed as a turkey singing Still Crazy After All These Years. When they both got back together for that outdoor concert in NYC, they packed the entire park and did a great show! It was fun getting to see them together doing all of their old songs... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--DbgPXwLlM :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Archived